Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was hoping to ask your thoughts in regards to choosing the used pilot.

I am looking to get either 07 (1st gen) or 09 Pilot (2nd gen) for my family and wanted to ask for your thoughts.

07 Pilot EX-L has 140K miles with all maintenance done on clock. (new timing belt, what not).
09 Pilot EX-L has 160K miles and again all the maintenance was done routinely (new timing belt, etc...).

only difference is 09 comes with 19" summer tires + 17" winter tires which both have about 50% tread remaining.

Could I ask if you were to pick the one for yourself, which one would you pick?

Thanks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
When we bought our 2007 EXL with Nav in late 2010 (with about 35,000 miles I think) it was $20,000 and a new (2010 or 2011 I assume) one was about $40,000. I was relieved that my wife preferred the smaller one because backing up the gen2 felt too much like my 2006 Ridgeline. The gen1 is much smaller feeling. I don’t think that the gen1 is better (aside from in our case costing half the money). Since we still have it (and I’m actually sitting in it tapping on my phone) now, I am definitely glad we bought the gen1 for financial reasons. The gen1 design doesn’t feel really old yet, but it is definitely lacking in some of the modern features cars have today, and the Nav system doesn’t seem to keep up with where we really are. That’s no big deal since phones seem to always be better at Nav anyway. The leather seats in the 2007 pilot seem to be holding up better than the perforated ones in my 2006 Ridgeline that is also loosing its driver thigh bolster. Same with the steering wheel, that has lost lots of paint on the leather in my Ridgeline but looks new in the pilot. The Ridgeline gets beat on harder though with a dirtier person (me) getting in it all the time. The pilot is the school bus and grocery getter, surprisingly not racking up that many more miles with both between 135,000 and 140,000 now. The pilots use is gentler.

I would say that if you want more room and a bigger vehicle that probably does just as well on MPG, and looks newer, go with the gen2. If you want something easier to fit in parking lots, back up, and don’t care how old it looks, gen1 may be the way to go.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,407 Posts
I would go for the 2009. It will feel newer and hopefully last longer.
The 2nd generation Pilots drive a little more car like in my opinion. It's still a big-ish SUV.
Are the prices comparable?

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I'd lean towards the 09 because of ride and comfort. Larger wheel base, larger tires and wheels. More space. But there are many important factors.
AWD or 2wd
Rust
Engine Idle
Oil leaks
ATF quality
Oil quality
Any steering issues
Any noises when driving
Any brake and rotor issues

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,267 Posts
I'd eschew the 2009, though I like the look, because it was the first model year of its generation, with all the beta bugs that implies, whereas by 2007 the 1st generation was tried and true. Furthermore, the 2009 assuredly has VCM, whereas the 2007 doesn't if it's a 4WD, as is most common in Canada.

Use this checklist, hopefully bound for Stickytown :), to help you: First-Gen Pilot Buyer's Guide Checklist - The Final...

·
Registered
695 Posts
From convenience standpoint, 2009 hands down. (I went 2007 > 2013, love the 2nd gen body style) But the point about it being first model in the generation is very valid.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Thank you all for the feedback.
I forgot to mention, the prices are same for the two and both are AWD.
The 20k mile difference doesn't bother me. If their both equally in good condition with no issues, I'd choose the 09. Of course, a VCM disabling device would be in the mail.

Reactions: briantii

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
Since you are in Canada, both probably 4wd. I'd still go with first gen Pilot. OK so I'm a softy for first gens....

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,267 Posts
Where in Canada are you? If you're only driving around in Toronto and the GTA, or in Vancouver, aka the Sun Belt and the Rain Belt of Canada respectively :), then 4WD is optional. Elsewhere, not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts