Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm mpressed with the amount of info on this site. I'm in the process of convincing my wife (sweepea) that we should get a pilot vs. an 03 surburban (although the dealer is giving us 0% apr/60 mo., 0 down, & paying off current note on our 93 surburban (4K balance)... was ready to sign, except I got to talking with my wife's bro a few weeks back, a devoute toyota man, who told me he's never, in 15 years, had to do anything to his 3 toyotas (4runner & 2 mr2's) just scheduled maint. & change fluids. I've dropped 3.5K in my surburban over the last 2 yrs!
So, looked at the sequoia and was gonna pursuade my wife that we should buy one until I bumped into a lady today who gave me this website. Any advice on how to best negotiate extended warranty?Any advice at all would be appriciated esp. on extended warranty and on how to influence my wife that the pilot trumps sequoia and surburban!
tootles :D

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Based on my experience, (a) Toyotas are very reliable, and so are Hondas, and (b) one can easily negotiate the warranty by simply refusing it. When we bought a Toyota last year, we refused the warranty, as we always do. The price kept getting lower and lower. Then the interest rate (we were financing through the dealer) got lower. By the time we gave in (which I would never do, but DH claims he's going to keep the thing for 10 years, so it *might* pay for itself) our interest rate had gone from 5.9 for 60 mo to 3.9, and the price of the warranty had dropped by at least half, maybe more. So IMHO, the key is to deny it, but with a hint of regret, as in "gee, I wish I could afford that." It probably helps to have a woman along, believe it or not, since salesmen are never going to take "no" as an answer from a woman. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Even if you pay for the warranty at the high end the Pilot will still be $10,000 bellow the Sequoia. Thats not even including what you'll save in gas. The Pilot gets much better gas mileage than the Sequoia and you don't need to put premium fuel in. Also the Sequoia is getting a re-design in 2005 so your new Sequoia is going to look old in a year. If you can't tell, I also looked at the Sequoia for my next car but went with the Pilot. Either way, Good luck.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
best warranty rates for hondas are probably at www.hondawarranty.com look them up there.....and compare...is site is operated by honda...

best of luck....

also remember the sequoia is not the same class as the pilot..it is a larger vehicle....;)

·
Registered
483 Posts
extended warranty

I agree with Brian, with the Pilot being 10k less than the Sequoia, not to mention the better gas milage, even with the purchase of the extended warranty you will be way of the game. The only reason I would even consider the Sequoia would be if the Pilot seemed to be to small for you, the Pilot is such a good value for your money, we looked at all makes before deciding on the Pilot. its hard to justify spending an extra 10k for a little wood trim here and there. Sorry I'm starting to sound like a salesman, back to the issue of the extended warranty, its all about peace of mind. If you are like me, your probably going to drive yourself crazy wondering if you made the right decision by not buying the warranty. I knows Hondas can and do go for whats seems like forever , but engines and trans do go out in a small percentage of them. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
328 Posts
negotiate

I agree, go with a Honda. We're new to Honda and I know more people who say they are "Honda people" than "Toyota people" - in fact, I have never met a "Toyota person"! (I used to be a Volvo person myself!)

Re: the warranty - go to Hondacare website and find the warranty you want and ask the dealer to beat it. They should at least match it!

Good luck!

·
Registered
194 Posts
By-the-way I did buy the extended warranty and if I heard about this site before I purchased I would have saved money on the warranty, I paid $1800 for it. Even at that price (which is the high end) I don't feel like I made a bad decision because I plan on holding on to the car for at least 7 years. I was also able to negotiate $1000 bellow sticker on the price of the car.
It all works out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
got a question about the extended warranty

Will you have to do the scheduled maintenance for the warranty to be valid?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Re: got a question about the extended warranty

glodino said:
Will you have to do the scheduled maintenance for the warranty to be valid?
Yes, you do and be sure to save the maintenance records, otherwise warranty coverage could be denied.

Keep in mind that dealerships "7500 / 15000 / 30000 / 60000 mileage" service packages generally provide more "services" than required per the manufacturer's maintenance. You can save a little bit of $ by only specifying the required services.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
tootles said:
[snipped]

Any advice on how to best negotiate extended warranty?Any advice at all would be appriciated esp. on extended warranty and on how to influence my wife that the pilot trumps sequoia and surburban!
tootles :D
Check out local Honda dealership web sites and ask them to email you a quote for the Honda Extended Warranty.

Also, I dumped by '96 Toyota Landcruiser (75k miles) when I began to experience a stream of mechanical problems. The worse situation was a Toyota dealership that took four weeks to change a blown head gasket. When I complained to the corporate office, they sent me a polite form letter that basically said :bootyshak

After that experience, I have sworn off Toyota.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Brian said:
By-the-way I did buy the extended warranty and if I heard about this site before I purchased I would have saved money on the warranty, I paid $1800 for it. Even at that price (which is the high end) I don't feel like I made a bad decision because I plan on holding on to the car for at least 7 years. I was also able to negotiate $1000 bellow sticker on the price of the car.
It all works out.
I think you should be able to return this if you want any time before it comes into effect....

today the hondawarrant site shows 7yr 100K with 0 deductible for $1300.....

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm trying to find where you got that price from ($1300) on the Hondacars.com site. Can you give me a little more info?

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Brian said:
I'm trying to find where you got that price from ($1300) on the Hondacars.com site. Can you give me a little more info?

you got the wrong site....its hondawarranty.com....

click pricing and enter your email address....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Brian said:
try hondawarranty.com

·
Registered
328 Posts
If your warranty was too much $$

Originally posted by Brian :
By-the-way I did buy the extended warranty and if I heard about this site before I purchased I would have saved money on the warranty, I paid $1800 for it. Even at that price (which is the high end) I don't feel like I made a bad decision because I plan on holding on to the car for at least 7 years.

Brian - I was able to show the dealer the Honda warranty from the website and they allowed me to cancel the warranty I had got from the dealer (over $2K!) and sold me a Honda warranty for $1300. Try it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm working on it.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Aren't sites like this great!!:4: Someone's on their way to pocketing a nice wad of cash while getting the same service!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looked at Honda's extended warranty & received the following info:

"Honda Care Extended Warranty

The only extended warranty backed by Honda. Huge savings from regular dealer pricing!

For a limited time only... Save an additional $85 off our highly discounted price. This offer is only valid through April 30.
To take advantage of this offer, save this promotional code: 45612 It is required to take advantage of the additonal savings!

This is a real, Honda backed warranty. Honored by every Honda dealer in America. The one that your dealer may have offered you for hundreds more!

This is a no risk offer! 100% refundable, if you decide to cancel for any reason within 60 days!

There is no site on the internet where you can purchase for less! Feel free to browse our plans and our incredibly low pricing on the site.

If you have questions about the purchase of a Honda Care warranty, call Dave Heffernan at (413)478-3525.

www.HondaWarranty.com/"

·
Registered
121 Posts
My wife is in the extended warranty bunisness, and I would reccomend buying one if you are so inclined. However, these warranties are HIGH PROFIT items for the dealership. You must negotiate vigorously to get the cost of the warranty down from what you are originaly quoted. A dealership will usually make more pure profit selling warranties, glass etching, interior or exterior protection, GAP, credit life, etc., than they will on the sale of the vehicle.

Get the warranty, but fight hard for the best price, (we got our Honda warranty for $1,050, and my wife was convinced we could have gotten them under $900, but it was almost 10:00 PM and I just wanted to finish the deal).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts