Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to replace the bank 1 cat today, I got it all the way down to just ONE nut left before it was free, but for the life of my I couldn’t reach that last dang nut. I can’t believe how difficult those top 4 are to reach. They are really buried back there. The one I could not reach was the drivers side lower nut. I could barely even get a finger on it and it didn’t feel like there was even room for a socket or extension (maybe a wrench would fit, but the heater core lines were definitely in the way). I removed the PS line bracket on the passenger side of the engine, and that lets you reach the other 3 fairly easy, but that last one seems near impossible without disassembling so much crap.

Does anyone have advice on how they’ve successfully done it?

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,403 Posts
Have you tried accessing it from under the vehicle?

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,403 Posts
I did. It is blocked by the output shaft and other junk. I guess I just need to take it apart further (than I was hoping to/want to) or pony up and pay for someone else to install it.
If you haven't done it already, if you remove the heat shields it makes things a little more easy to get to and get it out. It is a pain.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I removed the axle heat shield (well, unbolted it so as to be ready to move it once the cat was free from the motor). I didn't think to try and remove the other heat shield that is right behind the cat. Oh well. Found a shop to install it for $400 in labor out the door. The cat was ~$200 from Rock Auto. so about $600 out of pocket for everything...pretty good. Also, my P0420 code is gone. Yay!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts