Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!

Likely going to buy a 2020 Pilot EX-L (no nav/res) today and was looking for any pitfalls.

I will have my ears on for the crackling electrical noise and will be sure to test the FM radio quality. Any insight into what trims/years/components are affected?

Thanks in advance for anything to watch out for.

nf

·
Banned
379 Posts
I have a 2019 EXL with no issues. I believe it's the same vehicle, no changes with the 2020. I have no crackle as of yet. I only listen to music from my phone either Bluetooth or Android auto though so not sure about the actual radio. I wouldn't go above EXL trim, seems most issues are in higher trims, from what I read anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2019 EXL with no issues. I believe it's the same vehicle, no changes with the 2020. I have no crackle as of yet. I only listen to music from my phone either Bluetooth or Android auto though so not sure about the actual radio. I wouldn't go above EXL trim, seems most issues are in higher trims, from what I read anyway.
Thanks very much!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Same with my 2019 EX-L, no issues. Just get a good walk thru on the features & tech from your salesperson before you leave the dealership. A lot of the issues posted here are just not knowing how all the features & tech work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same with my 2019 EX-L, no issues. Just get a good walk thru on the features & tech from your salesperson before you leave the dealership. A lot of the issues posted here are just not knowing how all the features & tech work.
Will do. Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
The higher trim models (Touring, Elite, Black Edition) are plagued by the infotainment crackling noises, etc. You shouldn't have any issue with an EX-L. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm... Dealership says windshield is cracked and they have to replace. They are using a Honda windshield. So looks like I can't pick up until Tuesday. Any issues with windshield replacement?

Also the rear cargo folding tray seemed awkward with folding the rear seats on our last test drive? With the rear cargo floor flipped over to rubber side up, it seems I just need 3rd row seat-back protectors. Weirdly, I see that available for the 2nd row, but not the 3rd? What do folks use to protect the 3rd row seat-backs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed. I don't prefer it. It's the lowest priced Pilot that we've considered. I can't think of a reason it wouldn't be good as new. If someone know otherwise please let me know. Google is of limited help.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It should be fine but why can't the dealer find you a new new one? Or if it was me I would use it as leverage to knock another 500 bucks off if that was the absolute lowest price I could find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the end, it is saving us a little more than $600 compared to offers on other Pilots. This was the only one in the color my wife liked at the dealership we prefer. It is the dealership that is closest to our house and we like the service department. It was a dealer trade and got the crack in transit.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. I can never resist when I might have leverage though and it couldn't hurt to hem and haw for a minute and say you are somewhat uncomfortable with buying....they don't know that they are 600 below the rest....maybe they'll give you something....you don't have to be a jerk or threaten to walk but you can just sort of start waffling a little since there was a crack. Or not, of course, if you don't want to make waves. But the customer is always right in this day and age

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 2020 Pilot Touring just before Thanksgiving and I have nothing but trouble. I was not aware of the issues with the upper level trims prior to my purchase, but right from the beginning I heard crackling noise...soon there after the information system turned off. First it was no car play, then no radio or navigation, then the dashboard went out including the speedometer. Trip #1 to dealer include a re-wire of the electric harness. 2 days later I’m back for same issue, then dealer replaces existing harness with new harness. 1 week later my problem continues and there is no solution. I am still” in the process of working out my issues with the dealer & manufacturer.

·
Banned
379 Posts
I purchased a 2020 Pilot Touring just before Thanksgiving and I have nothing but trouble. I was not aware of the issues with the upper level trims prior to my purchase, but right from the beginning I heard crackling noise...soon there after the information system turned off. First it was no car play, then no radio or navigation, then the dashboard went out including the speedometer. Trip #1 to dealer include a re-wire of the electric harness. 2 days later I’m back for same issue, then dealer replaces existing harness with new harness. 1 week later my problem continues and there is no solution. I am still” in the process of working out my issues with the dealer & manufacturer.
That's BS! Honda needs to fix this. They know it's an issue yet they do nothing. Sorry you're having this trouble. I'm a die-hard Honda guy, but I'm starting to question whether I should be. I hope they work it out for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That sounds horrible. So sorry to hear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2019 EX-L that was bought 10/30/2019 and currently has 4500.

I have already had the infotainment malfunction where it loses all sound and will not power off; that was within the first 2 weeks of ownership. (I had to pull the fuse.)

Just last night I experienced the static/cracking in the sound system. It occurred with both FM and Apple Car Play (iHeart Radio and Apple Music). After I turned the power off and back on, the sound returned to normal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
We have a 2019 Touring 2WD/7PASS with 22,000 miles now in 11 months. No crackling issues. Only once has the infotainment frozen up, has to do with Apple CarPlay. Pulled radie fuse and everything reset properly. No mechanical or body/trim issues at all.

Has lots of new technology (electronic gauge cluster, infotainment, driver assist camera/etc, electric power steering, MOST Bus, AGM battery, idle stop, direct fuel injection, VCM, 9 speed ZF trans, etc). It will be interesting to see the durability over time. My grumpy middle aged side just wants one with 2006 technology built in 2019 (no VCM, 5 speed auto, hydraulic power steering, etc) - ha ha.

I’m not sure what you can buy now without a bunch of overdone technology. Even the small cars have turbos and other nonsense now in the quest for CAFE fuel economy. How long is a turbo going to last without big repairs? Ford F-150s with V6’s with twin turbos? What is this world coming to? Sound like my grandfather... Ready for the home now... take me away...

I had to just grin and buy the best thing on the market now and hope the Honda engineers got most of it right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good morning!

Likely going to buy a 2020 Pilot EX-L (no nav/res) today and was looking for any pitfalls.

I will have my ears on for the crackling electrical noise and will be sure to test the FM radio quality. Any insight into what trims/years/components are affected?

Thanks in advance for anything to watch out for.

nf
  1. I hope you did not bought it. However, in case you did. Anything you notice reported it to the dealer. They are very bad to accept manufacturing damage or honor guarantee. Good luck.

·
Registered
223 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts