Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning Folks,

I know adding AUX to 2006 has been addressed before, but I can't seem to find anything for doing it to EX-L WITH RES DVD.

I bought a 3.5 AUX port conversion kit, and a Y splitter. I clipped original lead into one side of splitter, and the AUX kit into the other. When I play music from my phone, the XM commercial runs in the background of the music I play.
If I do NOT connect the original XM plug to the splitter, the music will play for a few minutes on the XM channel but then stops and the radio will no longer recognize the XM button at all. It acts like a dead button.

What sounded like an easy fix has me scratching my head.
Does anyone have experience with this? I am a novice at this sort of thing.
--Can I just disconnect the XM transmitter at the source and leave the plug in place?
--Can I plug in XM to splitter and just cut wires for sound on the splitter harness leading into radio ?

**Full disclosure in re-reading the ad for the AUX kit and Y harness it says it won't work with RES radios.... but surely there must be a work around?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions....Stay Safe my friends.

JDNHMQ

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I'm just guessing the rub here is that you have RES plus XM. How important is keeping XM radio to you?

Since you're going for a wired solution, why not just get a 3.5mm plug to RCA plug cable, and plug it into the RCA ports behind the center console? Assuming you don't have one of those "new and improved" phones with no 3.5mm earphone jack?

That's what I did before I went with a GTA Car Kit wireless Bluetooth solution:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow- thanks for your quick reply !

Here is my set up:

One wire is AUX 3.5 (with a dongle on it) the other is a lightning charger.

I don't care about XM at all. If I could I would get rid of it altogether and just use that as my AUX.
(that's what I thought I was doing when I started).

The phone is mounted on the dash so I can use Waze and control music. I ran wires thru vent so I can tuck back when not using. My hope was to not have wires running all around.
When I looked into a Bluetooth solution, I didn't see one that seemed to work with XM and RES. The issue seems to be having the XM cluster connected to the radio.
My radio doesn't have a separate AUX button it shares with DVD , and the pin plug on the kit I got only fits in XM spot.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
If you don't need XM, just unplug it in the back of your radio and you can install the GTA Car Kit and go Bluetooth through your audio system for your phone's music, Waze and phone calls. You can also keep steering wheel controls for your phone's audio (play, volume, next) as well as controlling it through your radio's buttons.

Give the GTA guys a call or email if you have any questions. They're quite helpful, and that video on their site made my install go easy even though I hadn't installed a radio since the early '80s when it was just two speaker wires, a power wire, plug in the antenna, and retighten two nuts.

Otherwise, post a picture of you the rear of your center console, as seen from the second row. If you have RES, there should be RCA jacks back there to plug in a simple and inexpensive wired solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts