Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent some time surfing the forums and wanted some clarification. It seems like alot of you guys have gone down this road. I was wanting to add just the Alpine 6 disc MP3 changer model CHA-S634 (I currently don't have a desire for the XM satellite tuner). Here are my questions:
1. Which blitzsafe cable do I need to connect this to the stock head unit?
2. Do I need any other cables and or components?
3. Does the blitzsafe cable provide power from the head unit to the changer or will I need to run that separately?
4. How difficult was the installation (2 hours or 2 days!?!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
wolfgang666 said:
I have spent some time surfing the forums and wanted some clarification. It seems like alot of you guys have gone down this road. I was wanting to add just the Alpine 6 disc MP3 changer model CHA-S634 (I currently don't have a desire for the XM satellite tuner). Here are my questions:
1. Which blitzsafe cable do I need to connect this to the stock head unit?
2. Do I need any other cables and or components?
3. Does the blitzsafe cable provide power from the head unit to the changer or will I need to run that separately?
4. How difficult was the installation (2 hours or 2 days!?!)

Thanks!
Hope this helps:

1)You will need the Blitzsafe HON/ALP DMX V.1 interface to connect the Alpine CHA-S634 Changer to the Honda Pilot Head Unit.

2)You will need the Alpine KCA-130B Ai-NET to M-Bus Adapter which connects between the interface and the CD Changer cable.

3)Yes, the blitzsafe interface supplies all power, ground, etc. for the Changer. Just plug it in and everything works...no hardwiring.

4) It may take you an hour tops. The majority of the time will be spent mounting the mounting hardware to the changer & installing it under the seat.

Just follow these instructions for a relatively easy install. Just substitute the Interface, KCA-130B and Alpine changer cable for the OEM M-Bus cable on the instructions.

Remember to set the switch to "2" on the front of the Changer before plugging it in. It will not work correctly if it is set to "1".

CHA-S634 Owner's Manual

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Happy with changer

Thanks for the info, that is exactly whatI needed. Have you been happy with your Alpine changer?

·
Registered
23 Posts
WOW

This is off topic as I have comment on the changer.

I just have to say that response was most impressive. That must have been great to ask the question and get a detailed response, complete with part numbers, photots, links, and numbered steps.

Very cool! :29:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: Re: Adding an Alpine 6 disc MP3 changerr

SteveLuman said:

4) It may take you an hour tops. The majority of the time will be spent mounting the mounting hardware to the changer & installing it under the seat.

Steve, is it really that simple to route the cables? I've never pulled apart a dashboard and console before to do the wiring and routing. I'm hoping that it will be that easy for a novice like me.:13:

- shutrbug

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: WOW

300MileTrip said:
This is off topic as I have comment on the changer.

I just have to say that response was most impressive. That must have been great to ask the question and get a detailed response, complete with part numbers, photots, links, and numbered steps.

Very cool! :29:
I second the compliment! Steve, you're a tremendous asset to the board!:7:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Adding an Alpine 6 disc MP3 changerr

shutrbug said:

Steve, is it really that simple to route the cables? I've never pulled apart a dashboard and console before to do the wiring and routing. I'm hoping that it will be that easy for a novice like me.:13:

- shutrbug
Once you remove the audio panel, I would remove all plugs from the Head Unit and set it aside. Place a small towel along the head unit opening and start routing wires.

Remove the driver's center console cover. Plug the KCA-130B into the Blitzsafe interface. Plug the changer cable into the KCA-130B and start routing it down behind the left side of the head unit. You should be able to reach your hand up behind the head unit and grab the cable. Pull the cable down to remove as much slack as possible without unplugging it or the KCA-130B.

Make the slit on the carpet area and route the cable through it. Plug the cable into the changer and install the changer under the seat. It will be easier to plug it in before you mount the changer than after.

Replace the head unit plugs and test the changer. If you place the control box of the interface as far to the rear left of the head unit, the head unit will mount back flush.

Once the Changer works, secure all wiring, replace the head unit mounting screws, replace the driver's center console cover and audio panel...and enjoy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm looking at this option myself. However, before going out to buy everything, I just wanted to make sure that a Pilot with RES will support the changer and that the instructions should be the same.

Can someone confirm this?

Furthermore, I noticed that there also exists a connector that seems to work like the blitzsafe. It's the Peripheral HONIL.

http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/cd_changer/acura_honda.asp

Are these compatible? Does the Peripheral HONIL work in the Pilot as well?

thanks,
Minh

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
minhn said:
I'm looking at this option myself. However, before going out to buy everything, I just wanted to make sure that a Pilot with RES will support the changer and that the instructions should be the same.

Can someone confirm this?

Furthermore, I noticed that there also exists a connector that seems to work like the blitzsafe. It's the Peripheral HONIL.

http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/cd_changer/acura_honda.asp

Are these compatible? Does the Peripheral HONIL work in the Pilot as well?

thanks,
Minh
Yes, the Pilot EX-L RES will support an external Changer. I have an EXL-RES and I installed an Alpine CHA-S634.

The HONIL does the same function as the Blitzsafe HON/ALP DMX V.1 Honda-to-Alpine CD Changer Interface. I chose the Blitzsafe adapter because they were the only company that I found that offered dual interfaces. I installed a Pioneer XM unit and the changer with a Blitzsafe HON/XM ALP DMX PIO.1D Dual Honda-to-Pioneer XM Tuner & Alpine CD Changer Interface.

Remember that if you install an Alpine CHA-S634 with either interface, you will still need an Alpine KCA-130B Ai-Net to M-Bus adapter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the info Steve! I've ordered everything and hopefully, I'll get everything in time to install it this weekend.

Minh

·
Registered
10 Posts
Problem with the changer when starting the car.

I'm having problems with the changer and I'm wondering if any of you have seen this. It seems that sometimes, I will start the eingine to my car, and the changer just hangs. The only way to get it to play again is to eject the sleeve and put it back in or turn the car off for a long period of time (more than 5 minutes).

I think I've narrowed it down. When I initially turn the car to the accessory position, the changer emits a little beep. If I always wait for the beep before turning the ignition and starting the car, everything seems to work. Hoever, if I start the car before the I hear the beep, it seems like I'm interrupting the "initialization" of the changer and it just stays frozen. Sometimes when it's frozen, I will change to the tuner or to aux and then I'm not able to change back to the changer. It's as if it doesn't know it's there.

Hopefully someone has seen/solved this problem.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Re: Problem with the changer when starting the car.

minhn said:
I'm having problems with the changer and I'm wondering if any of you have seen this. It seems that sometimes, I will start the eingine to my car, and the changer just hangs. The only way to get it to play again is to eject the sleeve and put it back in or turn the car off for a long period of time (more than 5 minutes).

I think I've narrowed it down. When I initially turn the car to the accessory position, the changer emits a little beep. If I always wait for the beep before turning the ignition and starting the car, everything seems to work. Hoever, if I start the car before the I hear the beep, it seems like I'm interrupting the "initialization" of the changer and it just stays frozen. Sometimes when it's frozen, I will change to the tuner or to aux and then I'm not able to change back to the changer. It's as if it doesn't know it's there.

Hopefully someone has seen/solved this problem.
Are you using the Blitzsafe or Peripheral interface? I've never had this happen with my Blitzsafe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you using the Blitzsafe or Peripheral interface? I've never had this happen with my Blitzsafe.
I'm using the Peripheral. *Sigh* maybe that's why the Peripheral is $60 cheaper...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Blitzsafe works, Peripheral doesn't

Per the annoying problem I had described earlier, I swapped out the Peripheral HONIL interface for a Blitzsafe HON/ALP DMX V.1 interface. (I found the Blitzsafe interface at Tweeter for $70.)

Problem solved, I can start my car any way I want and so far, the changer has not exihibited any of the previous symptoms.

Note that I also bought the Honda CD Changer mounting kit 08B26-S9V-100 as it has the brackets needed to mount the changer under the seat. Make sure you negociate the price for this as most will sell it for $99 but some dealers will match the $76 offered by hondaacuraworld.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Re: Blitzsafe works, Peripheral doesn't

minhn said:
Per the annoying problem I had described earlier, I swapped out the Peripheral HONIL interface for a Blitzsafe HON/ALP DMX V.1 interface. (I found the Blitzsafe interface at Tweeter for $70.)

Problem solved, I can start my car any way I want and so far, the changer has not exihibited any of the previous symptoms.

Note that I also bought the Honda CD Changer mounting kit 08B26-S9V-100 as it has the brackets needed to mount the changer under the seat. Make sure you negociate the price for this as most will sell it for $99 but some dealers will match the $76 offered by hondaacuraworld.
Congrats, I have always recommended the Blitzsafe over the Peripheral. Now there is a good reason for it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When the CHAS634 is connected to the stock h/u via the interface, does the 634 in fact play MP3's as well?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Phatbox

Anyone have an opinion on using an MP3 changer vs. a hard disk solution like the Phatbox at http://www.phatnoise.com/
Considering the Phatbox with the ability to load up 800 CDs onto a disk. It also uses the Blitzsafe connector to connect to the head unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
11psiGSR said:
When the CHAS634 is connected to the stock h/u via the interface, does the 634 in fact play MP3's as well?
Yes. I've played mp3s written on a CD-RW without a problem.

AS far as the phatnoise box goes, it was unfortunately too expensive for my tastes. I figure that having about 4GB of music at one time is enough. It's not as convenient but since it supports CD-RW, it suits my needs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts