Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EXL, 3.5L 5 speed
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will Acura struts/springs work with the Pilot or will it change the alignment specs?

I have been thinking about that since the Honda, while competent, doesn't have the sharp reflexes the Acura has in the corners.

Has anyone tried retrofitting?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,443 Posts
The First gens we’re almost identical under the skin.
one difference was a pair of braces that the MDX had on the rear subframe to the chassis that the Pilot didn’t have.Installing these tightened up the rear end.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which brand, model and size tires are you presently using?
I have a set of 235 70 16 Toyo Open Country HT.

They are a compromise at best. I was kind of shocked at the lack of choice of tires. I couldn't find a reasonably priced H rated tire in that size.

Was going to try and use 17inch Acura wheels and tires but couldn't justify the price..

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,443 Posts

They are a compromise at best. I was kind of shocked at the lack of choice of tires. I couldn't find a reasonably priced H rated tire in that size.

Was going to try and use 17inch Acura wheels and tires but couldn't justify the price..
When I did exactly that, go for H rated tires, I used the Bridgestone H/L Alenza tire. It shows in H rating Alenza for Pilot

·
Registered
10,201 Posts

I have set of the Toyo Open Country Q/T tires on my 2003 Pilot.
Toyo rates them for handling at 4.5/5, versus 4.0/5 for the H/T.
The handling seems fine to me, but I'm not expecting go-cart like handling from the Pilot.

How old are the shocks/struts on your Pilot?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I own both. A 2011 Pilot and MDX. First, the MDX is lower to the ground as opposed to the Pilot. Both my 2011 MDX and Pilot have new KYB struts and shocks. The Acura just handles better. both the acura and pilot have the same Michelin tires. The acura is like riding on a cloud of air, the Pilot has a little more off road feel to it.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,863 Posts
Depending on my mood, I'd like to switch back and forth. Consider yourself lucky to be able to do that.

But if I have to choose, I choose the road.

Well, not usually at the end of winter, though...

Infrastructure Asphalt Road surface Line Font

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am shocked that these frame stays are $80 a piece at the Acura parts sites. Boneyards are a PITA to deal with. If anyone can find a set of stays and the correct attachment hardware (bolts and nuts) to go with them from a boneyard, I'll send $100 for both. lol

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,863 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX
143 Posts
I am shocked that these frame stays are $80 a piece at the Acura parts sites. Boneyards are a PITA to deal with. If anyone can find a set of stays and the correct attachment hardware (bolts and nuts) to go with them from a boneyard, I'll send $100 for both. lol
SOLD. I have access to a set. There is some surface rust on one bracket where long bolt goes into sub frame. The rest looks clean. Let me know if you are interested.
Hand tool Tool Wood Gas Bicycle part

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts