Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"The MDX is the only SUV to use an engine with Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC™). VTEC works together with a dual-stage intake manifold to achieve a virtual combustion miracle, combining exceptional low-end torque and high-end power in the same engine. For 2003, the 3.5-liter V-6 SOHC of the MDX produces a class-leading 260 hp at higher rpm (a 20-hp improvement) while churning out impressive torque that comes on strong at low rpms and peaks at 250 lbs.-ft."

This is an exact quote from the Acura.com website. Do their marketing guys even know that the pilot exists??

http://www.acura.com/models/model_perf_engine.asp?module=mdx#

·
Registered
900 Posts
My guess would be that it was written before the Pilot came out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
In a time where web marketing and the internet is so important, it amazes me as to how long companies take to update thier web pages. I agree that this was probably a pre-Pilot thing.

·
Registered
919 Posts
You have to look for the fine print when you see a statement such as this. It usually states something like "excludes other Honda/Acura models" or something similar. Most auto manufacturers do this when they have a feature that is unique to their product lines. If the fine print line wasn't present, it could just be an old page.

Chris

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the new page for the 2003 MDX. It has only been available for a short time and the Pilot was out well before this page was posted. The page says that the MDX is the only SUV to use VTEC. You would think they could get that right. Then again given all of the other posts about the dealers etc. not knowing what is going on with product I guess this shouldn't surprise me. When I asked my salesman why the Pilot was wider than the MDX he said it was because the Pilot was based on the Odyssey platform and the MDX was based on the Accord platform !!!!!

·
Registered
919 Posts
As I said, it's normal operating procedure for car manufacturers to post these "only" type statements with the assumption that you don't count vehicles from their own family. The one that stand out in my mind is seeing a pickup truck ad that stated "larger towing capacity than any truck in it's class", with a footnote that stated "excludes other GM models". Even if the disclaimer line isn't there, I'm sure that's what is going on here. To think that they don't know about the Pilot is a pretty far stretch.

Chris

·
Registered
664 Posts
Other, not a VTEC response

Scoobs if I remember the history correctly the Odyssey was based on the Accord platform when they started making their own instead of buying rebadged Isuzus. The MDX and the Pilot are then based off the Odyssey platform. They just beef up the frame and its rigidity.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Maybe we don't have a VTEC engine.....

How can I verify the VTEC? I know i have leather because it has that stinky smell. But VTEC....

·
Registered
664 Posts
The user manual and the great big lettering on the engine is good for me. Of course the Pilot sales literature and tromping it through 4300 RPM will let you know as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
banningjr said:
The user manual and the great big lettering on the engine is good for me. Of course the Pilot sales literature and tromping it through 4300 RPM will let you know as well.
4300 RPM... Here in NYC i'll probably hit the car infront of me.

I'll try the 4300RPM once i pass the 600 breakin miles. What am i looking for? is it turbo like?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does the CR-V count as an SUV? That has VTEC...actually it has i-VTEC :p This besides the VTEC engine in the Pilots of course.

And it can't be an old statement (before the Pilot came out) because it addresses the MDX with 260 hp. If it was older, it would've stated 240 (unless they just altered the numbers around).

·
Registered
664 Posts
Oooo...wait, it is the only 260hp VTEC SUV!

And for emc02, I guess it would be similar to turbo just without the big kick. You hear the engine hit this other sound and the accelleration seems to pick up. It's cool and if you want to try it before 600 miles go for it. 'Blow the carbon out!' I hit it before 100 miles semi-racing one of those soupped (?) up Civics. I let off when I realized I was over 100mph.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Just floor it and feel the rush. There's no doubt we have VTEC!!!

:12:

It's a big smile generator.........not to mention the giggles too!!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is 4200 the rpm where Vtec engages? I've been looking for the proper rpm.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
RipRocK said:
May be the Pilot really doesn't have VTEC and we all've been duped!!
Even my Civic EX has a [small] VTEC engine!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't think thats an accurate statement either way. I could be wrong but I believe the Lincoln Aviator uses electronic valve timing to coax 300 hp out of their 4.6L v8.

The problem with "marketspeak" is that if taken exactly literally it's probably technically correct. Meaning Honda/Acura is the only company that calls their variable valve timine VTEC, so therefore the MDX is the only SUV to have a VTEC engine (excluding other Acura/Honda products of course).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe its because Honda owns Acura? Like Chevy is saying the Trailblazer is the most powerful mid-size SUV.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Hmmm...did they change it already?

I just checked the site link in the first post and now it says:
The MDX uses an engine with Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC™). VTEC works together with a dual-stage intake manifold to achieve a virtual combustion miracle, combining exceptional low-end torque and high-end power in the same engine. For 2003, the 3.5-liter V-6 SOHC of the MDX produces a class-leading 260 hp at higher rpm (a 20-hp improvement) while churning out impressive torque that comes on strong at low rpms and peaks at 250 lbs.-ft.
Everything but the first line is the same. I was even linked into their "site feedback" page to point out the error when I read the first page closer.
(that Accura site is way slow, by the way)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts