Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We’re considering purchasing a used Honda Pilot, perhaps 2017 or so. I’ve been trying to compare cargo space which is a big issue for us. We don’t need the third seat so we can leave it stowed since it’s nearly impossible to find a mid-size or larger SUV without them.

However, if you look in Honda dealer sites, they quote cargo space as follows:

18.5ft behind third seat (in place)

55.9ft behind second seat with third seat folded

109ft total cargo space with all rear sears stowed

Whereas other sites (US News and Report, Edmunds and similar) state:

16.5ft behind third seat (in place)

46.8ft behind second seat with third seat folded

83.9ft total cargo space with all rear sears stowed

This is quite a difference - the former numbers give the Pilot class leading storage space while the latter numbers make it one of the smaller cargo storage SUVs in it class. How does one know what’s right on this? Is Honda using fuzzy numbers to inflate it’s cargo capacity? Why the discrepancy? Any info would be brilliant. Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
68 Posts
can't be 109. a suburban is 121 and they are way way bigger. 83 sounds about right. My qx56 was about 95 and it is slightly roomier inside than the pilot (but not much in a usable sense -- mainly the roof was a little higher).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hello,

We’re considering purchasing a used Honda Pilot, perhaps 2017 or so. I’ve been trying to compare cargo space which is a big issue for us. We don’t need the third seat so we can leave it stowed since it’s nearly impossible to find a mid-size or larger SUV without them.

However, if you look in Honda dealer sites, they quote cargo space as follows:

18.5ft behind third seat (in place)

55.9ft behind second seat with third seat folded

109ft total cargo space with all rear sears stowed

Whereas other sites (US News and Report, Edmunds and similar) state:

16.5ft behind third seat (in place)

46.8ft behind second seat with third seat folded

83.9ft total cargo space with all rear sears stowed

This is quite a difference - the former numbers give the Pilot class leading storage space while the latter numbers make it one of the smaller cargo storage SUVs in it class. How does one know what’s right on this? Is Honda using fuzzy numbers to inflate it’s cargo capacity? Why the discrepancy? Any info would be brilliant. Thanks so much in advance!
Here's your answer:

Cargo Volume (cu ft, behind 3rd-row)
16.5 cu ft*4 / 18.5 cu ft*5
Cargo Volume (cu ft, behind 2nd-row)
46.8 cu ft*4 / 55.9 cu ft*5
Cargo Volume (cu ft, behind 1st-row)
83.9 cu ft*4 / 109.0 cu ft*5

*4 Based on SAE J1100 cargo volume measurement standard.
*5 Based on SAE J1100 cargo volume measurement standard plus floor space between first and second seats and front seats moved forward.

So yes, the larger numbers are "inflated" by the marketing folks, because really, who's going to count the floor space between the folded down seats?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The biggest "crossover" is going to be a Traverse. Everything else is considerably smaller then you have some like the CX-9 that are almost worthless in the 3rd row and totally worthless storage behind the 3rd row.

I know my generation Traverse (1st gen) had more storage space than the Tahoe until the current generation came out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate you taking the time to share. It’s sad that the Honda Dealer sites decided to inflate the numbers. It makes it more confusing and could have ended up with us getting a vehicle that didn’t work for us. :( There’s no real reason to do that. Better to be accurate than the largest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i don't believe any of the OEM marketing. I did the dealer rounds with tape measure in hand. You will be surprised ! ! even all the car mags and youtube review sites publish the OEM lies. Considering all this - the pilot measures out pretty big

·
Registered
243 Posts
For me, the sqare footage of the floor is more important than volume. In any case, I'll be like gormley and inspect them myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i don't believe any of the OEM marketing. I did the dealer rounds with tape measure in hand. You will be surprised ! ! even all the car mags and youtube review sites publish the OEM lies. Considering all this - the pilot measures out pretty big
That’s interesting. Can I ask what it turned out to be in the end - in your measurements? I love that you did that and measured it all yourself!

·
Registered
8 Posts
That’s interesting. Can I ask what it turned out to be in the end - in your measurements? I love that you did that and measured it all yourself!
What we really needed was another minivan - but my wife got mum shamed into never driving another one. She had her short list of SUV's - we headed out to dealers to measure and test drive. (Toyota, both Korean offerings, Infiniti etc) .... i don't have the measurements anymore as we ended up buying a 2017 Pilot. It measured and felt bigger up front for driver/passenger and the rear was deeper/wider. (i didn't measure height)

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you check "Alex on Autos" on Youtube, he does the most consistent reviews of SUV cargo space - he uses the same 24" roller bags on just about every vehicle he reviews and tells you how many you can fit in for each configuration. He has reviewed pretty much every manufacturer and model over the past 5 years, you can use the search on his channel to find the ones you are interested in and skip through his videos to the cargo results to compare them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts