Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just want to check how accurate the information on the honda website is.
I have the EXL w/sesing and i thought the acoustic window is on the windshield, but someone posted that in the repair document it stated that only Touring and Elite has acoustic windshield, does any one know what might be the correct information?

Also, I found out that two of the from door windows are much thicker (2x) than the rear door windows, is that normal? if they are not acoustic windows (honda website shows only Touring and Elite has acoustic window on the front doors), then what type of glass are they? I will try to take some picture once I got home tonight and show the different in thickness.

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
That person was me.

Someone in this thread posted a link to this article about repairing the Pilot. That article contains a link to this document which was published by Honda in June. This document shows the EX-L having the same windshield as the EX and LX which should not be the case according to the feature specifications provided by Honda on their USA website.

According to that same document the front window glass is 1mm thicker than the rear glass on your EX-L. So yes it should be thicker, but not twice as thick.

Touring and Elite trims get the acoustic glass on the front windows and thicker glass on the rear doors.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just investigated this further and the Honda parts look-up lists the same part number for the windshield on an Elite as it does on an EX-L which is a different number from what is shown for an LX model.

So it looks like that early repair document is incorrect with regards to the windshield information it provides.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you tachi1247 for the very detail explanations!
If the 5.0mm tempered glass is thicker than 4.8mm acoustic, is it possible that the weight are similar and the part can also fit on EXL?! The different between 4.0 and 5.0 definitely feels a lot different by hand touch. I wish there is a cabin noise test that compare between these glasses.

2016 EXL Sensing FWD

·
Registered
773 Posts
Thank you tachi1247 for the very detail explanations!
If the 5.0mm tempered glass is thicker than 4.8mm acoustic, is it possible that the weight are similar and the part can also fit on EXL?! The different between 4.0 and 5.0 definitely feels a lot different by hand touch. I wish there is a cabin noise test that compare between these glasses.

2016 EXL Sensing FWD
The weight probably isn't much different. Go online and and look up the part numbers and see if the motors and window clips etc match up.

Even if it would work, this is almost certainly to be way more trouble than it is worth. Replacing the glass in a window isn't really a DIY project even for someone who works on cars a lot. I know I wouldn't attempt it. It's also going to be cost prohibitive, those windows are probably a couple hundred dollars each and I'm betting you are only going to gain a few dB of reduced ambient noise by making the switch.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Rather than messing with replacing door glass, a better investment might be Dynamat or equivalent to line the doors. I think resonant spikes are a bigger problem than overall SPL, but unless you have a spectrum analyzer in your toolkit, you will have to play it by ear. Literally.

In a vehicle this big and open, noise abatement is kinda like plugging holes in a screen door, but I will say my 2016 Touring seems much quieter than the 2012 Touring it replaced. I think that is a combination of improved airflow management around and under the vehicle, better air sealing, and improved sound dampening.

You can't do much about airflow, except NOT put crap on the roof, and, uh, drive slower ( but what kinda fun is that? ). But you can try to chase down air leaks and vibrating surfaces. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I really don't notice much difference with the acoustic glass I have in my Elite. My wife's Civic sounds as good to me inside as the Pilot does. I think "acoustic glass" is just a gimmick to get you to pay for a higher trim level.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I really don't notice much difference with the acoustic glass I have in my Elite. My wife's Civic sounds as good to me inside as the Pilot does. I think "acoustic glass" is just a gimmick to get you to pay for a higher trim level.
I disagree. It's amazing how much quitter it is inside when the window is closed Vs open even 2mm. You can the side windows are Acoustic by feeling the two panes of glass with the clear vinyl layer sandwiched in the middle. I'm still so amazed at how quiet the Pilot is even at 120 km/hr on the highway!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In comparison to our previous 13 CRV, pilot EXL is a lot more quite. I am sure acoustic window is not the only thing that helps, I noticed the rubber sealing around the doors are also much thicker and covers more area.

2016 EXL Sensing FWD

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Not to deviate too far, but the Pilots have ANC (active noise canceling). Which, in theory, utilizes the speakers to send white noise to cancel out road noise.

Honda's Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) » Technology » Honda New Zealand
That is intended to reduce the harmonic low-frequency noise from the imbalanced engine during cylinder-shut-down ( VCM ). AFAIK it isn't effective for high frequencies for various reasons, including the relationship between the size of the vehicle interior ( with multiple relevant listening nodes ) and the wavelengths of the sound. Noise-cancelling headphones are right next to the ears, so they can perform over a wider range of frequency.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts