Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying one of these used, 97K miles, 3.7L v6. Any hints as to what expenses I might be looking at? Timing belt? Stabilizer bars?
No rust. No knocks in motor. Every thing seems to work. Advanced package.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
You might get more responses on the MDXers forum. 2nd gen MDX ( including 2010 ) was quite a bit different from 2nd gen Pilot. 1st gen and 3rd gen are much more similar.

But if timing belt service hasn't been done that's a biggie cuz water pump and serpentine belt get done at the same time. If you value crisp handling, stabilizer bar links and bushings are likely if they haven't been done. Maybe shocks/struts too, but I think 2nd gen MDX has fancy active shocks and/or struts, at least on upper trims. Those things are expensive, and I don't have a clue how long they last. [ I just looked them up. Only the Sport trim has active shocks and struts, not Base or Tech. OMG those things are expensive. Uff da! ]

Also, anything in the suspension or steering with a ball joint or bushing is suspect. Tie rod ends, front lower arms. Again, it depends on your expectations in terms of handling, but it's supposed to be sporty, right?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.
I'm going to take it into the Honda dealer tomorrow and have them do a quick check on the front end. I don't think the Advanced package has the fancy shocks but I'm sure the service manager will tell me after they look at it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts