Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, my latest post to a thread is concerning the "morse code" sounds at idle from the timing belt....well new issue from engine today and confirmed the TB noise is what it is...should not have skipped the TSB on the idler pulley shim thingy :frown:

New issue. Installed towing harness today to get ready to tow a U-haul trailer and daughter to college....and off to store for reward of good work, a beer :grin:

Back from store, turn on engine, immediately there is an RPM tracking whine from the engine compartment...take it home, notice no change by application of steering or A/C...

Replaced drive belt, auto-tensioner and pulley when TB kit was swapped (Sep 2015)....so took of the drive belt, burned my wrist- hot engine duh. Start back up (this is part of TB chirp TSB anyway) an no more whine, but morse code flutter sound is definitely the TB.

Happened to have spare accessory belt, swapped it in. Checked PS fluid clean and no air, no noise change as before if turning wheels. But, definitely whine tracks with RPM and becomes worse with more RPM...so 2 items remain on that belt line not yet touched....A/C and alternator. When cycling A/C on and off no real change to the whine....so leaves me with my stupid alternator...

Tomorrow getting a mechanic's stethoscope (tired of spare stick method) and start pricing aftermarket alternator....had one go out on my old Subaru, it too made funny noise that tracked with RPM, but sounded more like a chirping birdy...stupid bearings don't last forever even if it still cranks juice...

Saw several threads that take this whine down to mostly PS or alternator....anyone else care to comment? Have experience with failed o-ring sounds at PS on the Suby are just like the Pilot from the Youtube link I followed on the PS o-ring air induction noise issue thread....so I am putting PS down as very very weak sauce at this point.

Joy of old cars! Parts wear out....miles or age....thanks gosh my day job is engineer sitting in a cubicle ....makes these DIY auto maintenance projects look so much more sexy and fun!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,331 Posts
I've been starting to think the same thing -- twice in as many months, a whine that follows RPMs whether in gear or idling, not tied to AC, steering or anything else as far as I can tell. Happened when it's quite hot out. So, a harbinger of an imminent alternator failure? How much time do I have if it's only this intermittent? What are some good ways to test an alternator to know for sure?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Bam! Love it when all works out. Thought to drive the Pilot to church this AM, misses says not with that squeal! Stopped at Harbor Freight on the way back after church and picked up the stethoscope....probed the AC and alternator and either sounded good for the audible whine...but both are bolted in near each other. Definitely not the PS pump or tensioner pulley wheels. Off to Napa for alternator and battery with both the old ones in hand. Back to house to install and hit a little snag. There is a bushing to keep things tight where alternator installs to engine....needed to get it backed out. No chance to pry it or lever it. No chance to get a drift and hammer in there...so off to hardware store for following: 1 x 2" 5/8 machine bolt, 1 x 5/8 nut, 5 x 5/8 washer 1" dia + add to 15 mm shallow socket = home-made bushing press. Place socket as a receiver, push bolt through opposite side + 2 washer between bushing and bolt head. Thread other end with one washer + the nut. Tighten until stops, bushing pressed back. Alternator easily install, and when torquing back in the bolt the bushing will be snugged back in tight. Reconnected all interference, wiring, reinstall battery, reset anti-theft code to stereo. Start up, no noise ......ahhh, another beer please :)

BTW, the battery was ~ 42 months on a so-called 84 mo battery, yeah whatever. Real battery life should be close by what the manufacturer is willing to do a warranty return....nominally all warranty policy is based on statistical studies of product EOL failure rates....when they are still zero then a warranty is offered. Any thing past that warranty means field or test units begin to exhibit end of life (EOL) failures..hence no warranty offered....warranty is both marketing and best indication for expected good service life; hence why I tossed the battery and grabbed a new one. Woo, hoo. Back to the beer before it warms up. Ciao ciao

1 - 3 of 3 Posts