Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was disappointed by the clunky head unit and upset that honda removed the hdmi port. After countless hours of searching and tons of button pressing I was able to access the diagnostic menu, developers menu, and the hidden android settings.

To access these menu hold the power button, menu button, and brightness setting button. In about 2 seconds the diagnostic menu will pop up. If it doesnt work release your fingers and try again. It took me a couple tries the first time. To enter the developer menu select detail & information then hold menu for 2-3 seconds and it will pop up. In the developer menu you can enter the hidden android settings menu.

There are a lot of interesting menus. I made a video going to most of them. As the video was recording it was also my first time entering the menus so the video is a bit long.

https://youtu.be/y-C1odfr0vU

If anyone have knowledge on modding pls help as Im a noob at this. Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
When you were in the Android settings menu, scroll down to the About Device choice and there should be an option that allows you to see software versions. Pull the Android version from there.

I suppose its quite possible the device could be "rooted" just like an Android phone. But for that to be worth much of anything, there needs to be a developer willing to write a replacement ROM for it. Not sure how many people out there are developing new ROMs for cars (the Infiniti Q50 also uses Android and I havent heard of any "third party" ROMs for that yet, and its been out for 2 years)

Also interesting is the list of apps, if you want to make a video of going slower through those. Clearly Clarion made the infotainment stuff for Honda, it would also be interesting if you could somehow access the file system, pull down the APK files (Androids version of a Windows installer file) and attempt to decompile them to see if they can be modded for interesting things.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Nice job finding the menu. I will try to look around in there later. Maybe I can disable the seat belt chime.

Before everyone gets all crazy with the always make sure you wear your seatbelt blah blah blah yes I wear my seatbelt when the car is in motion. It's annoying though when you're double parked with the car running and the belt chime starts up (especially if you have kids sleeping in the back).

·
Registered
76 Posts
i have an EX-L w/out NAV and i find out that in the service menu there's a GPS settings on it...

was wondering if the NAV is a software-based system and was disabled?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you were in the Android settings menu, scroll down to the About Device choice and there should be an option that allows you to see software versions. Pull the Android version from there.

I suppose its quite possible the device could be "rooted" just like an Android phone. But for that to be worth much of anything, there needs to be a developer willing to write a replacement ROM for it. Not sure how many people out there are developing new ROMs for cars (the Infiniti Q50 also uses Android and I havent heard of any "third party" ROMs for that yet, and its been out for 2 years)

Also interesting is the list of apps, if you want to make a video of going slower through those. Clearly Clarion made the infotainment stuff for Honda, it would also be interesting if you could somehow access the file system, pull down the APK files (Androids version of a Windows installer file) and attempt to decompile them to see if they can be modded for interesting things.
It's running android 4.2.2. Figured it was clarion software since the parts listing shows the hardware unit was made by clarion. Wish Honda went with pioneer. I can't find my usb cable so it be a couple days until I get one and plug my laptop into the system.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have an EX-L w/out NAV and i find out that in the service menu there's a GPS settings on it...

was wondering if the NAV is a software-based system and was disabled?
It's a high possibility that it's just software. Both navi and non navi have the same gps assembly but the head unit part number is different. Probably due to pre installed software. Parts price from Honda for head unit for navi and non navi are the exact same price. I have the non navi version as well and the i seen the navi settings and navi diagnostic. I hope someone can extract the navi software.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Does the Pilot have WiFi? (i.e. can you connect it to your home network if you are within range?)

If so, you could technically try using adb over wireless. ADB = Android Debug Bridge. Once running you could try to shell into the OS in the vehicle and if you can connect you can try to obtain superuser as well. If the nav is just an APK (or a set of them) technically you could pull them off the filesystem and have someone else try to push them onto a non-nav vehicle to see if it becomes available.

Obviously this is all very YMMV and "at your own risk"

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
The 2016 Pilot has WiFi, at least in the versions with the touchscreen head-unit. What you choose to do with it is entirely at your discretion. ;)

Now if I could just get the stupid thing to stop forgetting my door lock settings... ( hardware or software? Is this a car or a dang computer we're debugging? )

BTW, the cruise control is stoned and the 9-speed trans is nuts. Otherwise, a great vehicle.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Could you please explain the issues you have with these features :)
This probably belongs in a different thread, but since you asked...

The cruise control is very slow to "take control" when I attempt to set a speed; vehicle speed often drops 4-5 mph before the thing gets its act together, which can be a bit worrisome if there are vehicles following. Paradoxically, this behavior seems worse if I defeat the "adaptive cruise" feature. Also, the logical gain of the digital "feedback circuit" seems to be set too low. The vehicle struggles to maintain a set speed, especially in hilly terrain, with vehicle speed often dropping 4-5 mph when climbing hills. Attempting to "help it along" with the accelerator pedal has the paradoxical effect of convincing it to slow down again once I release the accelerator, until it finally gets itself good and ready to hold the speed I set. Weird and annoying. Maybe some of this is intended to boost gas mileage by avoiding bursts of acceleration, but Honda clearly over-did it.

As for the 9-speed transmission, ya got a while? The upside is the paddle shifters were nice in the mountains during a recent road trip to the Rockies. Set the thing to "S" and it holds the gear you set with the paddles, which is nice for long climbs or compression braking on descents. It does have a safety feature that will intervene if you try to force it into redline or lugging the engine. But if you stop for some reason ( pedestrian crossing? ) and forget to set the trans back to an auto mode before you take off again, you will redline the engine in 1st gear in about 0.3 seconds and get lots of stares before you fix it. Even in normal "Drive" auto mode, the first few gears are just so ridiculously low and tightly spaced that it's hard to find a happy medium between "race-day revving" and "wake me up when it's over" accelerations. And on-ramp accelerations are like "one-potato, two-potato, what... gear... will... I... use?... OK, now, I've got it...". The darn thing just really seems to have more gear ratios than it knows what to do with. There are other issues, but I'll save that rant for another thread. Maybe Honda will get their act together and release a dealer-installable firmware update. They had one to mitigate the torque-converter-failure debacle in the first-gen MDXs. If all the new MDXs are using the 9-speed for 2016 and beyond, they had better get it sorted out...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks alot for your detailed feedback. I'm waiting for a 9 speed to show at my local dealer and I want to be prepared for these quirks when I drive it. I expect to tow a 3500 lb travel trailer and like the manual select feature but am struggling with reports of unsure shifting. Any thoughts? Comments could go in the thread below.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/114.../79146-difference-between-6sp-9sp-tranny.html

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

The past week i been trying to connect to the unit via adb with usb but failed. I completely forgot i can connect using wifi. I was successful in connecting adb with the unit. I tried to install an apk but im getting back an internal error. So i pulled /data and /system. Its been 3 years since I mess with android. any help on using adb?

·
Registered
78 Posts
UPDATE:

The past week i been trying to connect to the unit via adb with usb but failed. I completely forgot i can connect using wifi. I was successful in connecting adb with the unit. I tried to install an apk but im getting back an internal error. So i pulled /data and /system. Its been 3 years since I mess with android. any help on using adb?
Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to turn off the nav safety feature, where you can't type a new address on the move?
I second this. I can't stand this feature. I understand the reason behind it, but come on. There should be a option to turn this feature off. Example... Recent trip to OBX and wanted to search for a restaurant while on the move. Wife was in passenger seat, and could use the features, but we were locked out. Really annoying and overkill.

Vent over

·
Registered
54 Posts
has anyone yet tried the OPs original suggestion and turned off "distraction" settings to see whether or not it makes the unit more usable?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I just turned mine off an hour ago but don't have a navigation unit to test. Hopefully I can now scroll to more than 3 speed dials while driving. I'm not sure what else it could "unblock".

Too bad there's not a "disable seat belt chime" in that developer menu. I realize I've opened Pandora's box on this forum with that question.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Would be interested if you can access your phonebook or do touchtone(dial pad) dialing while the car is in motion. (Major annoyance for me)

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
This is a great thread. Keep it up. I want to know more. :)

1 - 20 of 118 Posts