Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to put parts in my '12 LX. The way I did this in my Jeep was run power wires straight from the battery through the firewall, into a bus bar for any electricals that are interior to the vehicle (heated seats + steering wheel, CB, chargers, power inverter, etc). Turning the key 'on' would close the circuit via a relay, so that everything would turn off when I shut the engine off (not draining the battery). But, my Jeep had a grommet I could drill through safely. The wiring was also a lot more caveman than many other modern vehicles.

I'm looking for somewhere (interior) that I can tap into my battery, and a fuse I can tap into to actuate the relay (one that comes on with the ignition). I have a few fuse taps and plenty of equipment to do a clean install, and plan on 3D printing an enclosure for it all to tuck into should I need it.

In terms of power coming from the battery, I think 300W is playing it plenty safe (this vehicle is my daily, nothing crazy here). The heated seats come with a 10A fuse, so for safety we'll assume 240W (D + P seats). I'm also in the midst of making a wireless charger/phone cradle for GPS, which probably only pulls 5W. I'd also like a couple other chargers, but these are only a few watts each. Not a ton of power but I'd be surprised if there was a circuit capable of handling this power that isn't already being used.

When I've got everything done the way I like it, I'll post updates so others can follow (as well as Reddit, probably). TIA!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Using the same installation steps I used on my Jeep I've added relay switch boxes for my Tundra and Pilot. Bought the a basic unit added a circuit breaker from the battery and ran one wire through the firewall grommet and can now power up to 6 fused 12V accessories. Wired so all relay-switch power goes off when the key is removed to prevent a start issue. Looking forward to reading your updates.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using the same installation steps I used on my Jeep I've added relay switch boxes for my Tundra and Pilot. Bought the a basic unit added a circuit breaker from the battery and ran one wire through the firewall grommet and can now power up to 6 fused 12V accessories. Wired so all relay-switch power goes off when the key is removed to prevent a start issue. Looking forward to reading your updates.
I like this, might buy one of those generic fuse boxes too. Where did you run the wire through? I'd like to avoid drilling through metal if I can, whether its for rust prevention or strain on the wires.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Where did you run the wire through? I'd like to avoid drilling through metal if I can, whether its for rust prevention or strain on the wires
Located a rubber grommet on the firewall that oem wires enter the Pilot. Drilled a small hole into the same grommet for the relay-switch cable to enter the Pilot. Will post more in my TLC thread later.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Know that there's a 20A "X"-bus feeder as part of the trailer wiring stuff in the rear. X-bus is on with key in engine run position only. There's room there in the fender cover to hide a fused distribution block.

Reactions: msoganda

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Located a rubber grommet on the firewall that oem wires enter the Pilot. Drilled a small hole into the same grommet for the relay-switch cable to enter the Pilot. Will post more in my TLC thread later.
I did the same thing with my Jeep, but it was easier to find. They were made with both manual and automatic transmissions, so drilling through the one that wasn't used is what I did. Not sure if my Pilot has the same thing, I don't believe that a manual trans was ever an option. I'll look for one tho.

·
Registered
699 Posts
On my 2013, the firewall grommet is kinda next to A/C compressor. Looking from front that is to the left and a fair way down. The wire bundle is taped up, and the grommet has a fairly long tube. I removed that tape, then I was able to roll the tube up and feed through my snake. Real doozy and a contortion exercise was getting hold of it behind the glove compartment and other stuff. It is not easy to get to. Hooked the seat heater and amp wires to the snake, taped it over, lubed a little with dielectric grease and was able to pull it all back through the grommet. Then taped the grommet back the way it was, no extra holes needed.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
It's got to be a jeep thing I did the same damn thing in mine! LOL .... Non Jeep owners would never understand :)

Reactions: aggrex
1 - 8 of 8 Posts