Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a friend who needed a jump start. I pulled my 2019 Honda around to help and found that the Positive Battery terminal was severely blocked. There were things all around it and a red cover. I could lift the cover but there was still not enough room to clip a jumper cable to the terminal. The Negative side was fine. I looked in the manual and it discussed basically taking several covers and such off just to access the positive terminal. That seems awfully hard and time consuming. Someone else was able to come give him a jump but I want to be prepared if the need arises (either for me or someone else who needs a jump).

Is there a simple way to reach the positive (+ or red) terminal on the battery with the clip from a pair of jumper cables?

I tried to look on the site and most posts seem to deal with the negative terminal and whether to clip it to the battery or the car frame. I am not interested in the negative and only interested in the positive terminal access and only on the 2019 or later Pilots where it is obstructed. From the other threads, please do not debate whether or not it is good or bad to jumpstart a car, whether Honda should have remote terminals and such. I seek just a simple answer to what seems to be a simple question but so many threads turn into long design debates or people comparing it to other models and makes of cars.

Thank you!

Tommy

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I had a friend who needed a jump start. I pulled my 2019 Honda around to help and found that the Positive Battery terminal was severely blocked. There were things all around it and a red cover. I could lift the cover but there was still not enough room to clip a jumper cable to the terminal. The Negative side was fine. I looked in the manual and it discussed basically taking several covers and such off just to access the positive terminal. That seems awfully hard and time consuming. Someone else was able to come give him a jump but I want to be prepared if the need arises (either for me or someone else who needs a jump).

Is there a simple way to reach the positive (+ or red) terminal on the battery with the clip from a pair of jumper cables?
Since your + terminal access is severely blocked by design and you want quick EZ access perhaps installing a protected terminal block can provide the 12V access you desire. Attached is a protected terminal block found on my X3 which is where I can access 12V power under the hood. Wise not to jam a jumper cable on your severely blocked + battery terminal as it probably won't end well.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I went to take a picture to better explain and I realized I was making a mistake. :confused: I was looking at the positive terminal and thinking the top was positive and the bottom was negative. In truth, the negative terminal cannot be seen. I am attaching photos to better explain. The first shows what you see looking for the battery. The second is a closer look at the closed cover on the positive terminal. The third shows what appears to be 2 terminals under the cover with the yellow arrow pointing at the one I could reach and thought was negative and the red arrow points at the one I could not reach and thought was positive. Now I realize that I could have attached the positive to the yellow arrow terminal and the negative to the car frame and probably would have been fine. My bad but just in case anyone else has that problem, hopefully they will find this thread and realize the mistake. Now I understand why the discussions were all about the placement of the negative terminal.

Attachments

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,403 Posts
please do not debate whether or not it is good or bad to jumpstart a car, whether Honda should have remote terminals and such. I seek just a simple answer to what seems to be a simple question but so many threads turn into long design debates or people comparing it to other models and makes of cars.

Thank you!

Tommy
Ah man Tommy, I like a good debate.? Glad you figured it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts