Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 04 pilot with 99k. it has just started making a rattling noise in (i think) the front left part of the engine when accelerating up to 3000 rpm's. it disappears when it goes back to 2000 rpms. anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
chilidogbb said:
i have an 04 pilot with 99k. it has just started making a rattling noise in (i think) the front left part of the engine when accelerating up to 3000 rpm's. it disappears when it goes back to 2000 rpms. anyone have any ideas?

Exhaust heat shield. It is very common for them to corrode by 100K.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
chilidogbb said:
how much does it cost to replace? is it a diy thing, or $$?

Usually a dealer will cut off the heat shield or tie a large hose clamp around it to stop the rattling for free during another service like an oil change.

·
Registered
19 Posts
similar noise at 3000 rpm

I have a 03 pilot with 70K, also has the similar noise as you'd described - rattling noise in the front left part of the engine when accelerating at 3000 rpm, below or above this rpm, noise disappears.
I've asked dealer and independent auto shop, dealer told me they couldn't reproduce the problem, auto shop said I should use 92 octane gas.
But personally I think the noise is from the transmission, I noticed the noise right after the transmission recall, during which the deal added a transmission oil jet.
Sorry I can't offer any remedy in this post. If anyone has similar problem and solution, please let us know.
Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ken,
Thanks for your post. I am having the same issue with a 2011 Pilot. Did you ever find a resolution to your problem? Any info would be helpful. Thank-you in advance.

Chad

·
Registered
2 Posts
similar noise at 3000 rpm

I have a 03 pilot with 70K, also has the similar noise as you'd described - rattling noise in the front left part of the engine when accelerating at 3000 rpm, below or above this rpm, noise disappears.
I've asked dealer and independent auto shop, dealer told me they couldn't reproduce the problem, auto shop said I should use 92 octane gas.
But personally I think the noise is from the transmission, I noticed the noise right after the transmission recall, during which the deal added a transmission oil jet.
Sorry I can't offer any remedy in this post. If anyone has similar problem and solution, please let us know.
Thanks,
Ken
Ken,
Thanks for your post. I am having the same issue with a 2011 Pilot. Did you ever find a resolution to your problem? Any info would be helpful. Thank-you in advance.

Chad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts