Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since buying our CPO Touring Pilot earlier this year we’ve noticed the odd acceleration patterns, particularly when taking off from a stop, or switching from reverse to drive when backing out of a parking space for example. You press drive, and slowly press the acceleration pedal, and there is a noticeable, and sometimes unpredictable lag in acceleration. A few times it’s happened as we were waiting to turn left across traffic on a busy highway, and was more than a little concerning. Called the dealer yesterday and nothing they know of (big surprise). Anyone notice similar? Any known remedies?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just to confirm are you talking about a lag with the idle-start/stop system where there is a delay with the engine firing back up? Or are you talking about where the engine is already running, and the car in gear, but there is lag when you press the go-pedal.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Look up 'Hill Assist' in your owners manual.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Are you in ECON mode by any chance. If so, just press the button to disable it. I never use it as I don't like the slow acceleration.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I had a slight hesitation when the VCM was active and it was a bit annoying as you describe. It was more noticable when you accelerated after coasting a bit. I installed a S-VCM disabler about six months ago and there are no more symptoms like that. It may be worth your while to install one and give it a try especially if you are planning on keeping the vehicle for a long time.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Also, there were several software updates (via service bulletin) for the 9-speed transmission. May be worth checking with the dealer to make sure your car has the latest version.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a slight hesitation when the VCM was active and it was a bit annoying as you describe. It was more noticable when you accelerated after coasting a bit. I installed a S-VCM disabler about six months ago and there are no more symptoms like that. It may be worth your while to install one and give it a try especially if you are planning on keeping the vehicle for a long time.

I just bought my wife a 2016 Honda Pilot Touring and am having the same issue. After a drive on the interstate and come to a complete stop, the car slowly accelerates. There is a delay shift from 1st gear to 2nd. What's a S-VCM installer, where did you get it and how did you install it?

I'm sorry for so many questions but I'm new to this.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I just bought my wife a 2016 Honda Pilot Touring and am having the same issue. After a drive on the interstate and come to a complete stop, the car slowly accelerates. There is a delay shift from 1st gear to 2nd. What's a S-VCM installer, where did you get it and how did you install it?

I'm sorry for so many questions but I'm new to this.
The SVCM is a small plug and play module that keeps the engine operating on all cylinders. I purchased mine here SVCM
It is an easy plug and play installation and it was the best thing that I have done to the car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The SVCM is a small plug and play module that keeps the engine operating on all cylinders. I purchased mine here SVCM
It is an easy plug and play installation and it was the best thing that I have done to the car.
Thank you. How does it affect gas mileage? Also did you have the same delay?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lost about 1mpg and there was a definate improvement in throttle response.
Is the delay or slow acceleration normal for the 9 speed automatic transmission? I paid an independent shop and Honda dealership to run diagnostic checks on the car because I wanted to have a piece of mind that there wasn't anything wrong with it and will be taking it for a 16hr drive. Both of them said there wasn't anything wrong with the car. The Honda technician even drove the car and didn't notice anything wrong with it. I can't be the only one having this issue.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Is the delay or slow acceleration normal for the 9 speed automatic transmission? I paid an independent shop and Honda dealership to run diagnostic checks on the car because I wanted to have a piece of mind that there wasn't anything wrong with it and will be taking it for a 16hr drive. Both of them said there wasn't anything wrong with the car. The Honda technician even drove the car and didn't notice anything wrong with it. I can't be the only one having this issue.
The 9 speed should be a little quicker than the 6 speed as the gear ratios are closer. As was said earlier, there is a Service Bulletin from Honda on the 2016's to update the transmission software to improve shifting on the 9 speeds so you would think that the Honda tech would have said something about that. Might be worthwhile to question them about it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank you @Hondamon . The advisor at Honda did say he's aware of the Service Bulletins but didn't mention anything about the specific bulletin for the transmission software to improve the shifting on the 9 speeds.

Does anyone know which TSB that was in?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Assuming the OP has a 9-speed transmission with no way easy way to check the ATF level, sounds like it may be low on fluid.
It doesn't sound VCM related to me, but I wouldn't want to discourage disabling the VCM either.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
29 Posts
Assuming the OP has a 9-speed transmission with no way easy way to check the ATF level, sounds like it may be low on fluid.
It doesn't sound VCM related to me, but I wouldn't want to discourage disabling the VCM either.
Hi @Nail Grease . Both inspections I did checked the fluid levels and they say they were fine. Honda said the transmission oil was a little dirty. Since I didn't know when it was last changed and the oil should've been changed at 60k miles so I paid $350 to get it changed.

I'd like to have the dealership take a look at the TSB and make sure the software is up to date. If anyone can tell me what the TSB is, it'd be great. I can't find it.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Hi @Nail Grease . Both inspections I did checked the fluid levels and they say they were fine. Honda said the transmission oil was a little dirty. Since I didn't know when it was last changed and the oil should've been changed at 60k miles so I paid $350 to get it changed.

I'd like to have the dealership take a look at the TSB and make sure the software is up to date. If anyone can tell me what the TSB is, it'd be great. I can't find it.
Hello,
Old fluid would be a reason, hopefully that will solve the issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello,
Old fluid would be a reason, hopefully that will solve the issue.
That still didn't fix the issue. It still does that. The Advisor and technician at Honda said that it may be the way the previous owner drove the car so they said it will take the car time to learn how we drive it. I don't believe that because they cleared the VCM (I believe that's what he called it) so the car shouldn't be doing that now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts