Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we purchased our CPO Pilot a month or so ago. Beautiful vehicle, very well maintained, coming off a lease. For the most part it's a solid vehicle, aside from this very annoying hesitation we are getting when accelerating, most noticeable from a dead stop. As you push the accelerator down from a stop (and I'm not talking about the also annoying and very poorly integrated Auto Idle Stop, this is with that disabled), the car barely starts to move. Then after about 0.5 to 1 sec, it does get moving but the RPMs surge, and it feels like you have the gas pedal halfway down. It is a horrible driving experience, and I can't help but think this is not as designed. I've read in this forum that there could be a TSB to address this? I called the local Honda dealer and of course their very first response is to try and talk you out of it, that's it's "normal". He says "so let me guess, you are noticing a lag of 1-2 seconds when you pull out. Yes sir, that is as intended. These new 9-speed transmissions are designed to work this way." Figures. They seem to be trained very well on how to talk a customer out of a dealer-funded service. Well, I am not happy, and it's annoying every single day from every stop. Not getting used to it as I'd hoped. Seems this has to be a defect in the ride by wire, or tranny, or a combination. Help!

·
Registered
885 Posts
You didn't note what year or model you have or how many miles. The Auto Idle/Stop is only on the Touring and Elite with the 9 speed transmission, so it must be one of those, correct? The 9 speed transmission is also designed to start off from a stop in second gear on the 2019 and new models I believe.

Do you have the "ECON" mode turned on? If so, it will inhibit quick acceleration from a stop unless you really press down on the gas pedal. It does make a big difference in the way the car pulls away from a stop with the mode on or off in my opinion.

I personally don't mind the "ECON" mode turned on but that is more suited to my way of driving in most instances. I also leave the Auto Idle/Stop turned on as I have had it on other cars and like the feature.

With it being a vehicle you have had only a month or so, no idea if the previous owner had problems or not. Honda recommends Top Tier fuel so try using that if you are not already.

I also just thought of the fact that the car may "learn" your driving habits and adjusts to them. You may consider disconnecting the battery for several minutes to wipe out the previous drivers patterns and let the car relearn yours. You may lose some settings such as BT and radio presets so write them down to reenter them if needed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, in my signature. 2017 Pilot Touring. I had the Econ button on to try it, but with that on it is absolutely unbearable and intolerable to drive. With it off it's highly annoying, but can't go so far as to say undrivable.

·
Registered
885 Posts
OK, I missed that because it used to show the signature without having to click anything. How many miles?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Only other thing I could suggest is some type of fuel system and injector cleaning additive perhaps. Pretty low miles but the injectors have been a problem on some of the 2016 and 2017 models. Usually you get warning lights on the dash board or an engine code.

Might try a different dealer also since depending on the in service date, you may still be under the factory 36/36000 warranty. There is a TSB for the 6 speed transmission to have the module reprogrammed and the fluid changed, but don't know of any for the 9 speed.

Here is one of the fuel injector TSB's. It may have been updated since or there may be others.

Fuel Injector TSB

·
Registered
885 Posts
Forgot about this post I read several months ago. It is on the Ridgeline forum and talks about a device to eliminate the throttle lag. I AM NOT endorsing this product and have never used it! I don't know anything about the product or even read the entire post. Just remembered you asking about a throttle delay and remembered this post regarding it.

It says for the Ridgeline up to 2019 but you could contact the seller and see if it would work on the Pilot if you are interested. I think he was advertising a satisfaction guarantee or money back warranty also.

Throttle Response Delay Fix?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Your description is not that of a normal 9 speed. It does lag a bit with Econ button on which I like is heavy traffic. Bc with normal driving the 9 speed pilot can jump off the line fast. So I don’t know what the previous owner did... if under warranty, take it in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just bought my wife a 2016 Touring with 63k miles and it does this as well. I had it looked at twice by Honda and an independent shop. Both Honda dealerships said there isn't anything wrong with it. A technician from one of them was in the car while it happened and said the car hesitates because we're hesitating by not applying enough gas. The technician at the other Honda said it didn't happen when he drove it. All three places said the computer is telling them there isn't anything wrong with the car. I'm hoping the car learns how we drive and this stops happening now that we've cleared the TCM.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, sounds like very similar experience. Aside from calling, and the dealer expectedly saying "that is how they are supposed to be", we have not done anything yet and are basically living with it. I've looked into the VCM disablers but really didn't want to spend the $100 if not needed. You'll have to let me know how the TCM reset works, if it does anything, or if maybe some '16 models have more hesitation related issues tied to the VCM possibly.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
Wow, sounds like very similar experience. Aside from calling, and the dealer expectedly saying "that is how they are supposed to be", we have not done anything yet and are basically living with it. I've looked into the VCM disablers but really didn't want to spend the $100 if not needed. You'll have to let me know how the TCM reset works, if it does anything, or if maybe some '16 models have more hesitation related issues tied to the VCM possibly.
It is a $100 well spent IMO and my 16EXL drives much better with the VCM disabled.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'll keep you posted if anything changes. You do the same.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Did you have the hesitation?
I did have hesitation if I was coasting prior to pulling out to pass and also on acceleration from a stop unless I really gassed it. I don't know if the hesitation was as severe as you describe, but it is definitely gone after disabling the VCM.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My concern is adding something that might not be safe long term and the warranty being void because of it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
My concern is adding something that might not be safe long term and the warranty being void because of it.
You have a 16 with over 60k so you must have an extended warranty so I get your concerns, but the VCM disablers are plug and play and easy to remove if you have warranty issues. It would be tough for Honda to deny a claim because of it and the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks of having an active VCM. As far as I know there are no safety concerns installing a disabling device and the hesitation that you describe is far more likely to cause a safety issue. It's certainly worth a try for $100. especially if Honda can't resolve the issue and if you don't like the results, I am sure you will be able to sell it here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So we purchased our CPO Pilot a month or so ago. Beautiful vehicle, very well maintained, coming off a lease. For the most part it's a solid vehicle, aside from this very annoying hesitation we are getting when accelerating, most noticeable from a dead stop. As you push the accelerator down from a stop (and I'm not talking about the also annoying and very poorly integrated Auto Idle Stop, this is with that disabled), the car barely starts to move. Then after about 0.5 to 1 sec, it does get moving but the RPMs surge, and it feels like you have the gas pedal halfway down. It is a horrible driving experience, and I can't help but think this is not as designed. I've read in this forum that there could be a TSB to address this? I called the local Honda dealer and of course their very first response is to try and talk you out of it, that's it's "normal". He says "so let me guess, you are noticing a lag of 1-2 seconds when you pull out. Yes sir, that is as intended. These new 9-speed transmissions are designed to work this way." Figures. They seem to be trained very well on how to talk a customer out of a dealer-funded service. Well, I am not happy, and it's annoying every single day from every stop. Not getting used to it as I'd hoped. Seems this has to be a defect in the ride by wire, or tranny, or a combination. Help!
I have the same vehicle. Two suggestions. 1. Don’t use the Econ mode. 2. I had the same problem. Have your dealership reinstall the vehicle software. Mine accelerates fine now.
If anyone is having problems with engine, transmission, and especially with the Auto Idle Stop system have your dealership reinstall the main software!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks! Did you pay for this? I think our 2017 is now out of the factory bumper to bumper 3/36.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts