Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving my 2006 Pilot XLE Ac is cold then warms up and gets cold again after several minutes. Or when I shut down the vehicle for a few minutes and start up again the AC is cold. Again it stays cold for a while then warm then cold. Any idea whats going on?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Define "for a while" in terms of minutes and seconds.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
So for 15-20 min the AC would cycle as normal, then stop and for another 15-20 min it would just blow the outside air?
I would start by looking for an intermittent cold connection: fuses, relay, switches. Measure the conductivity across the AC pressure switch pins while the AC has turned itself off when it should be on. If you read open, then the switch is likely at fault. If you read short, then it would be elsewhere. This might be simply or tough like with all electric problems. Do you have automatic climate control or regular knobs and buttons?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today I turned on the AC while driving to the gas station and it remains cold for three minutes, then warm air. I turned off the AC, before shutting down the car, and the rear ac blowers stayed on. When I left the gas station 5 minutes later. I turned on the AC and it blew cold air for about three minutes again and then turned warm. I checked the freon and it has freon. What can it be?

·
Registered
1 Posts
While driving my 2006 Pilot XLE Ac is cold then warms up and gets cold again after several minutes. Or when I shut down the vehicle for a few minutes and start up again the AC is cold. Again it stays cold for a while then warm then cold. Any idea whats going on?

Thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
Search coolant temperature sensor and thermostat. They can affect the ac, as well.
Just had to change my coolant temp sensor (CEL was on) and upon searching for a cause and effect of faulty coolant temp sensor, I read that this could be one of the signs of such an issue (along with thermostat). But then again, this would have triggered CEL. Also, you would have had engine overheating issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had a similar issue. If it was the same issue as mine, it will eventually just stop working all together. For me it was the blower motor transistor (AKA blower motor resistor). It's located under the glove box more or less. There is also one for the rear. I pulled mine, opened it, and tested the transistor and it tested fine. Next, I noticed there was a thermal fuse connected in series. That was the issue. It was shorted. I purchased a replacement thermal fuse from Amazon, replaced it, put it all back together again and was back in business! A 10 pack of the thermal fuse from amazon was $10. Glad I got the 10 pack. I put too much heat on it while I was soldering it back in and burned it out.
If you have even very basic soldering skills, you should be able to do this yourself.
The purpose of the fuse is to protect the transistor (MOSFET, I think) from overheating. I would suggest you do not just short the fuse. I have seen others online short it. Yes, it will work but if the transistor burns out, it can take other more expensive components with it. Anyways, I hope yours was as easy as mine. Created an account just to post this. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks
Your probably low on Freon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Forgot to mention... You could also just purchase the whole piece (aftermarket) from Amazon for about $35. 3 screws and your done. It's strange that this piece would cause warm air from your AC but it does! I wouldn't worry too much about aftermarket quality for this piece since the circuit is very simple (2 components).

Low on freon would cause warm air all the time. The post described more of an intermittent issue which is most likely caused by the blower motor transistor. I should also note I get most of my info from youtube and this forum so I certainly don't know everything.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Got mine as a backup from eBay. For $14 I'm not gonna start futzing around with my soldering iron, no matter how simple. That way I'm sure to save some time and a few inevitable cuss words.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts