Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! First time poster here.

I have a 2006 Honda Pilot exl with 160,000 miles.

My issue is, every time I turn my air on there is a loud constant hissing from the glove box. The only time the hissing stops is when the air is on all the way hot (87 degrees) or when I hit the “a/c” button to turn a/c off. The hissing is super loud and will not relent. It’s been happening since I purchased the vehicle and I’ve put about 4,000 miles on it.

I’ve searched this site for answers but couldn’t find anything so i would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,037 Posts
I had this similar issue. I am believing that the car is low on Freon and that causes the hissing noise. I bought one of the those cans at Walmart and added some, and the hissing went away temporarily. Now my A/C compressor won’t turn on at all so I am a bit nervous what all that will cost. Hoping it just needs a remove and recharge.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Probably noise from the fan, have you checked/replaced it? Mine had different noises at different speeds. Listed as heater fan for parts. Fan is located behind/below glove box. Dont mess with the ac refrig circuit unless you have ruled out easy stuff like fan. Part is $20 to $100 depending on quality.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Behind glove box is your cabin air filter.
Empty out glove box, pop out the retainers so the box swings down free.
If your car never had cabin filter replaced, you will see a strip of plastic overlapping a horizontal metal bar. That strip can be cut off and discarded.
The metal bar behind it is held by two screws, Remove the accessible one, and swing the bar out of the way to gain access to the filter compartment.
Consder searching youtube for 'Honda Pilot cabin filter replacement' video.
After removing the filter, thoroughly vacuum out the enclosure. Good idea to replace the filter.
I am partial to the 'Premium' carbon version.

If above does not fix the hissing, will need some further troubleshooting.

·
Registered
7,065 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2006 just started doing the same thing. My air filter gets replaced regularly, so I don't think that's it, at least in my case. If you find the cause could you please let me know. [email protected]

Thanks!

·
Administrator
15,658 Posts
If the lid for the air filter is not seated correctly then it will hiss big time.

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
If the lid for the air filter is not seated correctly then it will hiss big time.
True, make sure it's well hooked at the bottom and it snaps all the way into position at the top.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts