Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Pilot touring with currently 37k kms on it
Last fall, a foul smell started to come from the vents while AC was on. Changed the cabin filter(was dirty and will leafs and stuff on it) with a new cabin filter(arm&hammer odor control ). Still smelled a bit but not as bad. Winter came, and it never smelled with heat on. Now with AC coming into use again, the smell is strong.
The Pilot is going for service B1 end of the month. Gonna mention this to them, or should i look somewhere to try and find the source of the smell?

Any input is much appreciated

·
Registered
68 Posts
if the shop can't / won't fix it, look into getting an ozone generator. I got one on Amazon for about $60, and i used it to de-stink my 07 g35 which had some long term water issues from a sunroof (and one bad windows down in a downpour incident) making it smell quite nifty especially in the summer. After three 45min/1-hour treatments, the car smells as good as a 12 year old car can. They work by basically killing anything organic including mold and bacteria. I got this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0795P2674/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For one of the treatments i left the car running with the A/C on recirculate so that the ozone would go through the vents and stuff.

I've also used it to destink shoes (put them in a big tupperware bin, lid on, with it for 15 minutes) and a closet.

That said -- I don't understand why this would happen in a relatively new car unless there were some other factor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 11 year odyssey never had this issue or my previous 2year accord. Nor the 10year Altima I had.
I have read reports of some crv owners complaining of something similar on

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
645 Posts
You can try those A/C disinfectants that're sprayed into the intake cowl. I've heard using recirculation mode a lot can contribute to the moldy smell.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If you haven't replaced the cabin filter for a long time, it's a good idea to do so now. I found out that helped in a few occasions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts