Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today I went to do my annual refill of the AC that leaks itself out over summer months.
It went as usual: two full cans went in, and the pressure stabilized within its normal range. Now it blows normally cold air.
The only difference with the previous times is that the AC runs non-stop. It used to cycle every 1-2 minutes.
I ran it for about 5 min and gave up. Before I bury myself in the FSM, reading, any tips?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but two full cans seems like a lot of put in a system. I would get borrow or buy a A/C pressure kit and see how much pressure you have in the system. If you have a leak in your A/C lines or condenser, get that addressed as well.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,313 Posts
AC systems do that of undercharged or overcharged.
I recommend you have the leak fixed first before adding anything to the system.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Inspect the AC condenser, especially if the plastic under cover is missing. A rock may have hit the condenser at some point. It's the most common place to find a leak. It would be noticeable by finding an oily spot on it. RockAuto sells condensers at a very reasonable price.
After repeated adding of freon over the years, it may need to have a vacuum pulled again then recharged. In this case, I'd say it's time to fix the leak.
Unless the system was completely empty, I can't thing of a reason to need 2 cans of freon. The amount needed is usually found on a sticker/placard under the hood somewhere. I'd be fearful of using the AC if it doesn't ever cycle on an off. It could damage the compressor.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
Can can (pun intended) get you just so far, @can but there comes a point where you have to inspect for leaks, fix them, pull vacuum and recharge to spec.

I'd say that time has come.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts