Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I know there has been multiple posts on this and quite a few have expensive fixes as resolution, I wanted to post my own experience and any suggestions on where to go next. Hoping this also helps others.
Some background: I have a 2016 Pilot EX-L w/nav and it currently has a bit over 58k miles, no extended warranty purchased late 2015. About a month ago, the AC started blowing warm air and becuase of the summer heat it has become a big problem for us (located in bay area, CA).
I did some research and noticed that quite a few other owners have reported the same issue and there is a TSB on it - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10164669-0001.pdf
I took it to a Honda dealer and he said $350 to diagnose it and then additional charge on that to repair whats broken. I told them to take a hike. I did some basic diagnostic on my own and checked the AC Relay, which looks good and I see that AC Clutch engages every time the AC turns on. I'm thinking bad compressor but need to be sure.

I then took it to an independent shop who charges $125 for a diagnostic and after initial inspection, he said he doesn't have the equipment to work on these as they use the new Refrigerant (R1234yf) so extraction/charging can only be done by Honda dealer since its new. I was told this Refrigerant is mega expensive. I tried my luck at another Honda dealer who said over the phone that the diagnostic would cost $190 but when I got there they said $450 to do a leak test. If its a bad compressor then thats $1200-1500 and then more refrigerant costs on top of that. I said no thanks.

At this point, I am thinking about contacting Honda and seeing what assistance the can offer. Its just so frustrating to pay luxury car service prices for a Honda when you expect a high level of reliabiity without taken to the cleaners. I'm also considering just taking it to Carmax and taking what I get for it :( . Anyone have any other options or had any luck dealing with Honda. Sounded like owner got 60% of the cost reimbursed.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Found this page & this was all new to me. What’s behind the Switch to R-1234yf and what Exactly Does it Mean for Techs? – FJC Inc
I would try another independent shop, as most AC problems are not related to a loss of refrigerant. If your clutch is engaging & compressor is running(does the compressor continue to run or turn off shortly?), then you have the minimum amount of freon. Does the high pressure line from compressor get hot & the return line cold?

·
Registered
813 Posts
If all the vents are blowing warm air, this might not help much, but my 2013 Ford Edge had an issue where it was blowing ice cold air on the driver side and max heat on the passenger side. I did more research and found out that the blend door actuator was a common failure point on Fords. It's like $25 for the part, but I just duct taped it to cold since we don't use the heater too much in Houston. I haven't seen anybody with this issue on a Pilot, but it might help if some vents are blowing cold and some are hot as I stated above.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
AC repairs can get expensive especially if have burnt up the compressor which would contaminate the whole system. Maybe it just has a small leak and is low on refrigerant. If the compressor is toast, it would be making a
lot of noise. Either way, the system would have to be purged, repaired and recharged which is costly and not a diy job. The 1234yf refrigerant is pricey too and a 6 oz can will cost you $40.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found this page & this was all new to me. What’s behind the Switch to R-1234yf and what Exactly Does it Mean for Techs? – FJC Inc
I would try another independent shop, as most AC problems are not related to a loss of refrigerant. If your clutch is engaging & compressor is running(does the compressor continue to run or turn off shortly?), then you have the minimum amount of freon. Does the high pressure line from compressor get hot & the return line cold?
Thanks for the response Aviator6. the compressor continues to run when turned on. Not sure which one is the high pressure line but checked both (thick and thin) metal lines and both are room temp - neither hot or cold. I noticed the Compressor does make a purring sound of noise when turned on but not very loud , not sure if its supposed to be normal as its always made that noise as I recall. I'll keep checking for other independent shops.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AC repairs can get expensive especially if have burnt up the compressor which would contaminate the whole system. Maybe it just has a small leak and is low on refrigerant. If the compressor is toast, it would be making a
lot of noise. Either way, the system would have to be purged, repaired and recharged which is costly and not a diy job. The 1234yf refrigerant is pricey too and a 6 oz can will cost you $40.
Thanks Hondamon, the compressor is making a noise, its definitely audible and noticeable when the AC is turned on and off not overbearingly loud. Hard for me to say what "normal" is as I've heard it sound this way for a long time. I've called a few indy shops and they don't have the equipment yet to work on the new refrigerant and they claim its pricey as well the refrigerant itself which you pointed out as well.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
I'm surprised that the indy shops are not equipped as r123yf has been out since 2013 and is used in a lot of makes now as it is replacing r134a. If your compressor is just making a purring sound, it may still be ok but you are probably low on refrigerant charge since you said that both lines are the same temp. A shop should be able to check it and do a leak test. I know you can purchase recharge kits with r123yf for less than $100 and if you are comfortable using one, you could try topping it off a little to see if it makes a difference. You just have to be careful not to overcharge the system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts