Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year our 2006 EX AWD started to have the ABS, VTM-4, and VSA lights come on intermittently. Eventually they stayed on. I went through the normal easy fixes, filled brake fluid, battery and alternator have been recently replaced. Checked fuses. Checked wheel speed sensors and wiring.

Finally I decided to go into the Honda dealership. They are claiming they cannot get their diagnostic tool to communicate with the car, but that there are 4 modules that control these systems plus the main ecu they would need to check. They spent 3-4 hours going over the car and could not determine for sure what was wrong, so after spending $300+ on diagnostics they just said they would need me to come back and drop the car off for a full day. For what, another $1000 in diagnostics? No thanks.

The car drives perfectly fine, except for these systems not working. Car has 130,000 miles. The dealer also said at some point someone had ran a wire from the ecu to one of the modules, or something to bypass and get power to it. With that wire removed it wouldn't even get power. I am not sure what they were talking about, they didn't give much information. Also in it's past life, the car was in a front left collision.

So where do I go next? I am trying to find any information on diagnosing or replacing these modules myself with used or rebuilt parts just to get the car back functioning.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any advice on how to move forward and diagnose or fix this? Should I take it somewhere else? Contact the dealership that worked on it in the past? Locate a factory service manual and start troubleshooting?

I want to start using this car as my daily, but when winter comes in MN I would not feel very safe driving with these systems deactivated.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Any advice on how to move forward and diagnose or fix this? Should I take it somewhere else? Contact the dealership that worked on it in the past? Locate a factory service manual and start troubleshooting?

I want to start using this car as my daily, but when winter comes in MN I would not feel very safe driving with these systems deactivated.
Take it somewhere else. Look for an independent shop that has a good reputation online. One place to get reviews is on Click and Clack website, their mechanics files section. If you want to jump in yourself, then the factory manual and wiring diagram, and a good scan tool is needed. Sounds like your Pilot has wiring harness damage, so just replacing modules might not help. Basic wire tracing and continuity testing will probably be needed.

I have found the factory manual and diagram online, I will try to dig up the link.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,042 Posts
For that wire they mentioned look in the engine compartment for any wire which looks out of place. It should be fairly obvious. Start at the location where there was collision repair.
If the OBD2 port is not working verify the fuse is not blown. Hopefully the dealership checked that first. If you have a cheapie code reader you can verify if the port connects. It takes a more expensive reader to decode the Honda codes.
If you’re not comfortable with trying any of this then do as STMech mentioned and find a good independent shop which has a good reputation for electronics troubleshooting. Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had those lights come on too, It was caused by a tear in rear driver side ABS sensor wire. I fixed it by a replacing 5" of wires and wrapping the connections with two layers of heatshrink. I will eventually replace the ABS sensor though, the part is pretty cheap.

So far its been working pretty well, I haven't seen those lights since and the ABS, VTM-4, and VSA function properly.

Might be worth checking into, if wires look fine then you'll have to check if the abs sensor itself is working properly.
Also I can't really remember but I think those exact same lights came on when one of my upstream 02 sensor was faulty, although if that's the case you should also see a CEL.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Mat, here is a link for service manual and wiring diagram, if you decide to tackle the puzzle yourself:

"https://cardiagn.com/honda/" Don't use the quotation marks, just the address.

then use the site search bar and enter 2006 Pilot. What you need should pop up. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I had to use my scanner to reset / relearn the vsa light since the obii wire trick didn't work .. as the others here stated mine was the ABS sensor wire... and it's only 12 bucks from rockauto at the time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay excellent! Thanks for all the advice everyone, it was unexpected. I will start poking around myself first and look for anything obvious, like broken ABS sensor wires or other damage. I tried checking the sensors myself first a while ago, but I could not get any of them to budge, they are all rusted in solid and didn't want to risk damaging them.

Then I will try finding someone reputable nearby to see what they can make of it.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Take your time with them, if they're still the original sensors the plastic may be brittle. Don't try to pry them off, instead take an adjustable wrench and try to loosen them by carefully turning it clockwise/counter-clockwise.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If I recall correctly, the first indicator to check on the speed sensors is continuity from the orange connectors on the firewall and behind the spare tire. Even the multimeter that Harbor Freight gives away for free sometimes can do that. Instructions are in the forum, if you haven't done that already.

If you have continuity on all four, I wouldn't try to pull them. If they're stuck, the odds of getting them out in working condition are not good.

I wound up having to break a bad one off and drill the remains out of the knuckle. Its just plastic and copper wire, so it isn't difficult. No disassembly required beyond getting access, but you do have to be pretty careful to avoid drilling through the bottom of the hole and damaging something.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I recall correctly, the first indicator to check on the speed sensors is continuity from the orange connectors on the firewall and behind the spare tire. Even the multimeter that Harbor Freight gives away for free sometimes can do that. Instructions are in the forum, if you haven't done that already.

If you have continuity on all four, I wouldn't try to pull them. If they're stuck, the odds of getting them out in working condition are not good.

I wound up having to break a bad one off and drill the remains out of the knuckle. Its just plastic and copper wire, so it isn't difficult. No disassembly required beyond getting access, but you do have to be pretty careful to avoid drilling through the bottom of the hole and damaging something.
This is great information, thank you!

Do you know of anywhere I can find pictures or a write up that shows the orange connector location? Or I can check the FSM

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you're still looking for this, search the forum or YouTube for location and the procedure. The orange connectors on the firewall and behind the spare tire are very distinctive and easy to see. Two front, two rear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Last year our 2006 EX AWD started to have the ABS, VTM-4, and VSA lights come on intermittently. Eventually they stayed on. I went through the normal easy fixes, filled brake fluid, battery and alternator have been recently replaced. Checked fuses. Checked wheel speed sensors and wiring.

Finally I decided to go into the Honda dealership. They are claiming they cannot get their diagnostic tool to communicate with the car, but that there are 4 modules that control these systems plus the main ecu they would need to check. They spent 3-4 hours going over the car and could not determine for sure what was wrong, so after spending $300+ on diagnostics they just said they would need me to come back and drop the car off for a full day. For what, another $1000 in diagnostics? No thanks.

The car drives perfectly fine, except for these systems not working. Car has 130,000 miles. The dealer also said at some point someone had ran a wire from the ecu to one of the modules, or something to bypass and get power to it. With that wire removed it wouldn't even get power. I am not sure what they were talking about, they didn't give much information. Also in it's past life, the car was in a front left collision.

So where do I go next? I am trying to find any information on diagnosing or replacing these modules myself with used or rebuilt parts just to get the car back functioning.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Mat,

I just had this issue happen to me. I was able to take my car to Advanced Auto, they ran a free OBD2 scan and it identified the front passenger side abs sensor as the issue. $32 dollars and about 1 hr to fix, there's also a YouTube video on how to replace this for an odyssey, video is kinda choppy but works, same exact setup and issue, down to having to break the sensor off and remove all the copper coil. Hope your able to solve your issue!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts