Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2005 LX with 175,000 miles. Shortly after I recently replaced the rotors and brake pads (obviously front since the rear brakes are drums) I started having issues with the ABS MIL illuminating within a couple of minutes of starting to drive. The VTM-4 MIL will light up roughly 10 minutes after the ABS lights up.

I have researched and learned that the likely culprit is a dirty or failed wheel speed sensor. I have learned that I should check resistance of the wheel speed sensor with a multi-meter. I found some information on another thread in this forum where the user said his front sensors on his 2003 Pilot measured around 13xx OHMS and the rear were about 16xx OHMS. I tested my front sensors and both measured at about 14xx OHMS. My rear sensors tested at 29xx OHMS and 34xx OHMS.

Initially, I had suspected to find a problem with one of the front sensors since the problem started within a week of doing the rotor/brake job. I was surprised that my rear sensors had such a different resistance than the user who gave the data for his 2003. Does anyone know a source where I can find the resistance ranges for the 4 wheel speed sensors?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Read the codes first. You do not even need a scan tool. Just short the 4 and 9 pins, turn on the ignition and count the blinks. See youtube for the procedure. That would tell you which sensor the unit is not happy about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your suggestion and I will post the result. The funny thing is that I scanned it with an OBD II scanner and the result was no codes. I hope the result differs with doing the jumper.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Your scanner may not be reading the ABS/VTM codes. Most cheap generic scanners do not. But the pin 4-9 jumper trick would read all codes: ABS, AT, VTM, VSA, TPMS, and SRS.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,947 Posts
If you can find the Pilot factory service manual that will list the acceptable resistance range of the sensor.

Just note that the jumper method will only blink the major code. If you need the subcode as well then a scanner which reads Honda specific codes is required.

And I’d be surprised if your Pilot’s rear brakes are drums. My 2005 LX has disc brakes on all four corners.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
The parking/emergency brake is a drum. That is behind the rear rotors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, so I tried the 4-9 jumper trick. It didn't work so well as it blew the #4 fuse in the primary under-hood fuse box. I tried it several time just to make sure. I followed the attached map for numbering and only turned the ignition to run. I watched the procedure on youtube and followed exactly what I saw. Still scratching my head with what went wrong there.

Roadcycle, you are correct. On the rear, there are disc brakes. I most recently changed the parking brake pads and got cross-wired in my brain that the rear are drums.

I do have a factory service manual but I could not locate the resistance range of the sensors. I will look harder and see what I can come up with. It is voluminous, so I probably missed it when I looked earlier.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I swear that you shorted 16 with 5 by mistake.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
I swear that you shorted 16 with 5 by mistake.
Yeah, remember that you're looking at it upside down. It's disorienting.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Yup, mirror image. The image you attached is probably from the perspective of the scanner, not the Pilot’s OBD2 port.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts