Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I start by placing the belt over the rear cam, looping it under the water pump (#4), then over the front cam (#3). If the cams are on their marks, there should be no slack between. Then continuing down the right side, pulling the belt tight over the Idler pully (#2) down around the crankshaft gear. If the crankshaft gear is on its mark, there should be no slack in the belt down the right side. All slack should be on the tensioner side before pulling the pin.
Thank you very much 🙏🏽 very clear!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
IIRC, you are really lucky you did not have any valve/piston damage?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello I did a timing belt on my 2007 Honda pilot the engine runs great but at an idle it has a small rumble and my gas mileage has went down to 15 miles a gallon. When I was putting the belt on the rear cam was a real bear to do. I was wondering if I could be one tooth off on that rear cam and the engine still running great but with poor gas mileage and that small rumble at an idle.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yes, it's easy to check though. Remove the rubber plugs in the upper belt covers and line up the mark on the balancer with the lower cover.

·
Registered
506 Posts
... counting teeth on the belt seemed less important than making sure the marks were lined up perfectly and leaving no slack in the belt under the water pump between the 2 cams and on the right side down to the crankshaft. Only then pull the pin.
I agree that the marks are the final word, but I was glad I had the "independent reference" of the new belt marked with the same tooth offset. It makes the commitment of pulling the pin much more of an intellectual process and much less of an emotionally challenging moment. At least for a rookie.

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
I agree that the marks are the final word, but I was glad I had the "independent reference" of the new belt marked with the same tooth offset. It makes the commitment of pulling the pin much more of an intellectual process and much less of an emotionally challenging moment. At least for a rookie.
I may have mentioned it in this thread but my greatest fear, after seeing what happened on a family members Acura TL, the front cam was one tooth off. Marking the belt served no purpose if the job was done wrong previously. When I saw the belt was not installed incorrectly, I took it off and threw it in the trash.
¯\(ツ)

Reactions: aggrex and Slvr7

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
That happens more then you think, we have many drive ability/check engine lights after someone else installed a belt. One of our guys was a tooth counter until he was off a couple times, having to redo a job for free is no fun.
Last thing I want to do is transfer the last guys mistake to my job. Lol

Reactions: Slvr7
101 - 109 of 109 Posts