Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
listening to the sound of crickets............... Stomp sorry one of those buggers was too loud .. :)

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did my timing belt yesterday and after I had all the timing marks in the correct position I removed the belt and while I was removing some of the other components, the rear (closest to the firewall) cam sprocket snapped ahead to about the 3 o’clock position.
I attempted to rotate it clockwise but felt resistance so I moved it counterclockwise back to the original position.
Have I damaged anything?

·
Registered
9,418 Posts
I just did my timing belt yesterday and after I had all the timing marks in the correct position I removed the belt and while I was removing some of the other components, the rear (closest to the firewall) cam sprocket snapped ahead to about the 3 o’clock position.
I attempted to rotate it clockwise but felt resistance so I moved it counterclockwise back to the original position.
Have I damaged anything?
No. Small adjustments like this is ok.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Since we've not heard back from the original poster and this thread inspired me to get started, I will provide some closure. I still wonder about the guy who's wife may or may not have hopped a freight train back home from Idaho.

I went full andywatson and began with the intent to check my valves, replace my thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses, and leaking water pump, and do the belts and tensioners while I had it all apart. Along the way, cleaning out the PCV / EGR system and replacing the passenger side motor mount were added to scope.

My '03 has 154k miles. Timing belt was done at 105 with a Gates kit. Water pump has been leaking for at least 5k miles. Old belts looked pretty good at 50k. Water pump was nasty with a black elastomer sealant all over the gasket. I suspect it leaked from installation and they tried to caulk it up.

I used the Aisin kit for the timing belt, a Gates kit for the serpentine / tensioner, and various Honda OEM bits. Everything went together just fine, and it runs better than it did before.

Things that made the job better:

• the extra-beefy Lisle 19mm socket for the crank pulley bolt. 5 seconds on an electric Milwaukee impact gun and it was off.
  • counting teeth and marking the new timing belt. Yeah, intellectually I knew I had it right, but having my marks all line up perfectly made me a lot more confident when I pulled the pin on the tensioner.
  • a pair of 90-degree needle-nose pliers for $3.99 from Harbor Freight. Everything with hoses was much easier.
  • full gasket sets. I only used one of the spark plug tube gaskets, but it was nice to have it available.
  • a cheap little telescoping mirror to make it easier to see the numbers on the cam pulley through the porthole.
  • wobbler extenders for sockets. Honda engineers must get paid extra for locating stuff where it's almost accessible.
  • last but not least, the video posted on the first page of this thread. I got the socket, the pliers and the mirror after watching him do it.

My biggest difficulties were the result of my own inexperience and inefficiency. The "hard parts" were easy. Several simple, stupid mistakes cost me hours. I don't think there's anything in either of these jobs that's very difficult if you are careful in your work, but the ability to do them quickly and accurately seems close to being a super-power. I have a new admiration for independent mechanics who can do a timing belt for $1000. including parts and make a profit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
All right, so first of all I am very sorry for the SUPER late answer and I wish to thank every single one of you for your contribution and help, sincerely!

The saying goes "No news, is good news"
Weelllll this is half true 🥲

So everything was going great, I took my time, took some breaks to chillout and drink a cold one and I worked methodically (yes I jacked the engine when needed to 🙃)

I didn't really encountered huge problems until I arrived at the rusty harmonic balancer... boy was I scared...

But guys... the Lisle Socket... one hell of a bad boy!! Look at the comparison between a regular 19, an impact 19 and the Lisle 19... RIDICULOUS!!

Now was the moment to face the truth... would the Lisle Socket walk the talk...
Link to the video: 20200706_125607_1_1
IT RAN THE TALK!!
It's a definite must when you do the timing belt!!:oops:

Then I removed the covers, the tensioner, the idler pulley, the belt, etc...

The condition of the belt just confirmed me that it was really really due.. 😅

(Oh and through all of that I changed the water pump, it was very cooperative and straight forward)👌🏽

Now I'm a the step where I sent you guys the pictures of my 3 alignments... putted the belt on, turned the harmonic balancer to see if there's any resistance (everything seemed to be fine), then I pulled the pin and reassembled it...

Once everything was back together, I started the car and everything was going great!!

Until a started driving and it shifted gears....
Then the Christmas tree went on on the dash and the car started to kick so I stopped on the side of the road . It was rough idling until it stopped by itself.
Link of video : Title_1

I gave it a scan with my obd2 and I had a P0389..

At this point I was exhausted and didn't wanted to do it all over again...
So I took it to my mechanic, he removed the 3 covers to notice... that I was 1 tooth off.. ONE!! All of this bcz of a single tooth off!

It cost me 200$ at my mechanic, so in the end I still saved some money.. but what I gained most from all of that is knowledge.. more specifically I know now that I need to let real mechanics handle the alignment part 😂

So my 2 cent after all of that is that it's a doable job if you're a patient soul, but I can't stress enough how much the alignment part is CRUCIAL!

So there you have it! After 9 months of total radio silence from my part, I can finally close this feed!😪😂

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,261 Posts
I can finally close this feed!😪😂
Not before I congratulate you on your perseverance and thank you for coming back to share your experience, so that others might learn from it.

Like Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price, good of you to get back in the game after being off one tooth.

And if the mechanic who fixed your tooth for $200 is in the Montreal region, give me his contact info, and in return I'll give you the name of my dental clinic, who fixed mine.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
330 Posts
Thanks for coming back and finishing it out. Too many posts just leave us hanging. Just to clarify, you pulled the pin after you rotated it several times to check that it was still aligned, right? If you pulled the pin before you rotated it, that could have caused your problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Not before I congratulate you on your perseverance and thank you for coming back to share your experience, so that others might learn from it.

Like Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price, good of you to get back in the game after being off one tooth. View attachment 147787

And if the mechanic who fixed your tooth for $200 is in the Montreal region, give me his contact info, and in return I'll give you the name of my dental clinic, who fixed mine.
😂😂 Great reference!!
My mechanic is indeed in Montreal area so I can give you his adress if you want to👌🏽💯

However, note that he didn't re-do the whole timing belt and w/p, he just removed the covers and the tensioner to off set it of one tooth 😅 took him around 2hours ish!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Thanks for coming back and finishing it out. Too many posts just leave us hanging. Just to clarify, you pulled the pin after you rotated it several times to check that it was still aligned, right? If you pulled the pin before you rotated it, that could have caused your problem.
To be quit honest it has been 9 months.. so I do have a little hesitation on this sequence but I'm 99% sure that I did the rotation and then pulled the pin!

What happens if you do the opposite?🧐

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
My mechanic is indeed in Montreal area so I can give you his adress if you want to👌🏽💯
Sure, I'd be happy to have his info. Always good to have some good places to go to if the need arises. I assume you give him a positive recommendation, and it wouldn't be the first time he worked on a PIlot. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Sure, I'd be happy to have his info. Always good to have some good places to go to if the need arises. I assume you give him a positive recommendation, and it wouldn't be the first time he worked on a PIlot. :)
Yes indeed! It's also a small size scrap yard and they have an 06 pilot in the back so pretty useful for quick fixes!

Marsan A 1987 Inc
(450) 651-9140

There you go 👌🏽

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
Yes indeed! It's also a small size scrap yard and they have an 06 pilot in the back so pretty useful for quick fixes!

Marsan A 1987 Inc
(450) 651-9140

There you go 👌🏽
Thanks, and nice to know they have an 06 in the back. I might go check it out. I'm familiar with the area since I drove one of my daughters out there for business training activities for a few months a couple of years ago. You never know what goodies you might find on a salvage yard Pilot, maybe even a set of fender flares. :D

As promised, here's the place that fixed my tooth. Professors supervise the work every step of the way and it costs about a third of what you'd pay in a private clinic. The hurdle with that place, though, is it may take a long time to get accepted as a patient, because it's only open during the university semesters. But it's totally worth it if you can get in on their list. Here's an insider tip: their website hasn't been updated since the pandemic began, so calling is the way to get updated information.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Wooooow! Ça tombe tellement bien pcq justement je n'ai plus d'assurance 😂

Et petit détail le scrap yard n'est pas un self pull comme Kennyupull, ils ont leurs propres démonteurs!

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
Compris, mais j'suis certain que ça vaut l'détour. Puis en plus, leurs véhicules n'auront pas été démanchés par certains amateurs qui pètent trois choses en essayant d'en arracher une seule. :)

·
Registered
9,418 Posts
I think if you ever needed another TB WP job, you'd be better at it the next time. After doing 3 more of these timing belt jobs in these 9 months, counting teeth on the belt seemed less important than making sure the marks were lined up perfectly and leaving no slack in the belt under the water pump between the 2 cams and on the right side down to the crankshaft. Only then pull the pin.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Compris, mais j'suis certain que ça vaut l'détour. Puis en plus, leurs véhicules n'auront pas été démanchés par certains amateurs qui pètent trois choses en essayant d'en arracher une seule. :)
Put this post through the google translator and see what comes out.

·
Registered
9,261 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I think if you ever needed another TB WP job, you'd be better at it the next time. After doing 3 more of these timing belt jobs in these 9 months, counting teeth on the belt seemed less important than making sure the marks were lined up perfectly and leaving no slack in the belt under the water pump between the 2 cams and on the right side down to the crankshaft. Only then pull the pin.
You're 100% right! Even though it was a hassle the first time, I feel so much more confident taking on a 2nd timing belt now!

Also just to make sure I understand what you're saying clearly.. which segments are you referring to that should not have slack? (Ex: 1 to 2, 6 to 1, etc)

·
Registered
9,418 Posts
You're 100% right! Even though it was a hassle the first time, I feel so much more confident taking on a 2nd timing belt now!

Also just to make sure I understand what you're saying clearly.. which segments are you referring to that should not have slack? (Ex: 1 to 2, 6 to 1, etc)
View attachment 147790
I start by placing the belt over the rear cam, looping it under the water pump (#4), then over the front cam (#3). If the cams are on their marks, there should be no slack between. Then continuing down the right side, pulling the belt tight over the Idler pully (#2) down around the crankshaft gear. If the crankshaft gear is on its mark, there should be no slack in the belt down the right side. All slack should be on the tensioner side before pulling the pin.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts