Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just thought I'd throw in a suggestion if you have a local roadside assistance friend that does 18 wheeler tires. They have 3/4 or even 1 inch impacts that can bust that bolt in one finger pull. If you just know somebody. ... IF
That is a very good idea!! I might have a guy

·
Registered
103 Posts
i just want to confirm with some of you that did their t-belt with the jumbo Lisle Socket; what was the nut breaking ft/lbs of the gun you used?
your gun will be fine with that socket. It will zip it right off. these Guys clearly haven’t used the socket before. My 600ft air gun took it off in 1 second with the air gun and put it right back on using the same gun. Start with the bolt first after taking the serpentine belt off just to be sure you won’t be stuck later on. It’s easy to put right back on just remember which way the little metal flat piece goes back on. It’s in the video.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Also, without a long ratchet or breaker bar you won’t be able to release the serpentine tensioner so be sure and get a long ratchet, you will thank me later. I also really like having some wobble head extensions for getting into some weird areas. That side engine mount can be weird to get to the bottom bolts under the ecu.

TEKTON 1660 Combination Wobble... TEKTON 1660 Combination Wobble Extension Bar Set, 9-Piece - Socket Wrenches - Amazon.com

VASTOOLS Wobble Socket Extension Bar Set 9-Pcak, 1/4",3/8" and 1/2" Drive Extension, CR-V Steel & Visibility Markings, Partially Inserted for Wobble VASTOOLS Wobble Socket Extension Bar Set 9-Pcak, 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" Drive Extension, CR-V Steel & Visibility Markings, Partially Inserted for Wobble - - Amazon.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks a lot for your help stickercutting!

I have this: - https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-extension-accessory-kit-20-pc-0580387p.html#srp
- MAXIMUM Tire Change Kit - Delivered in as Little as 1 Hour - INABUGGY.com

And a 224pc socket set

Do you think I'll be fine or the long ratchet is really THE missing piece of the puzzle?

Also should I get something like that according to you or its a waste of money? https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W80586-Remote-Starter/dp/B00OPVYHZ4/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=remote+starter+switch&qid=1593487787&sprefix=remote+starter+&sr=8-3

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks a lot for your help stickercutting!

I have this: - https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-extension-accessory-kit-20-pc-0580387p.html#srp
- MAXIMUM Tire Change Kit - Delivered in as Little as 1 Hour - INABUGGY.com

And a 224pc socket set

Do you think I'll be fine or the long ratchet is really THE missing piece of the puzzle?

Also should I get something like that according to you or its a waste of money? https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W80586-Remote-Starter/dp/B00OPVYHZ4/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=remote+starter+switch&qid=1593487787&sprefix=remote+starter+&sr=8-3
You should be fine with the long ratchets you have, having a long handle is nice to break away some of the bolts. Still would recommend a torque wrench to torque the water pump bolts just in case that goes down to about 8ft lb. An inch pound torque wrench does this with ease.

What is the starter trigger for? Never seen that before for a timing belt change?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You should be fine with the long ratchets you have, having a long handle is nice to break away some of the bolts. Still would recommend a torque wrench to torque the water pump bolts just in case that goes down to about 8ft lb. An inch pound torque wrench does this with ease.

What is the starter trigger for? Never seen that before for a timing belt change?
It's to scroll the timing belt to position the TDC1 and check the markings.
But I saw in videos that you just put back the harmonic bolt only and scroll with it. I guess it work just fine too?

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's to scroll the timing belt to position the TDC1 and check the markings.
But I saw in videos that you just put back the harmonic bolt only and scroll with it. I guess it work just fine too?
No, you don't use the starter for that. You turn the lower bolt on the crank pulley clockwise until both marks line up with a long ratchet. You would have no precision what so ever to turn the engine with the starter motor. You need to make sure you get the front AND the back pulley lined up TDC, it's in the south main auto video, watch that video a few times on lining up the marks, and the easiest way to put the belt back on, and releasing the pin on the tensioner, which can be a challenge.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You'll be fine with that Milwaukee impact gun and heavy socket, I used Ridgid 1/2 in. Impact Wrench (R86011B) with the heavy socket and it took it off easily.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
No, you don't use the starter for that. You turn the lower bolt on the crank pulley clockwise until both marks line up with a long ratchet. You would have no precision what so ever to turn the engine with the starter motor. You need to make sure you get the front AND the back pulley lined up TDC, it's in the south main auto video, watch that video a few times on lining up the marks, and the easiest way to put the belt back on, and releasing the pin on the tensioner, which can be a challenge.
Perfect! Thank you very much for your help! I think that sums it up for me! (y)

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Removing the spark plugs makes rotating the crankshaft easier. It relieves the compression that's normally created. This is why I usually replace the spark plugs at the same time. Yes, just use a rachet or small enough breaker bar to rotate.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Guys clearly haven’t used the socket before. My 600ft air gun took it off in 1 second with the air gun and put it right back on using the same gun.
The torque on the harmonic balancer bolt is only 48 ft/lbs plus 60 degrees. Be careful using a weighted socked to reinstall it, you'll blow by 48 easily. I had 2 veh towed in with stripped crankshafts, due to over torque.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
The torque on the harmonic balancer bolt is only 48 ft/lbs. Be careful using a weighted socked to reinstall it, you'll blow by 48 easily. I had 2 veh towed in with stripped crankshafts, due to over torque.
Oh wow!
This is new to 3rd Gen or across the board?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Removing the spark plugs makes rotating the crankshaft easier. It relieves the compression that's normally created. This is why I usually replace the spark plugs at the same time. Yes, just use a rachet or small enough breaker bar to rotate.
Thats perfect! 👌🏽
I actually planned on doing them, but weather hasnt been favorable lately.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The torque on the harmonic balancer bolt is only 48 ft/lbs. Be careful using a weighted socked to reinstall it, you'll blow by 48 easily. I had 2 veh towed in with stripped crankshafts, due to over torque.
Wow! Thanks alot!
I'll make sure to use the torque wrench on this too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The torque on the harmonic balancer bolt is only 48 ft/lbs plus 60 degrees. Be careful using a weighted socked to reinstall it, you'll blow by 48 easily. I had 2 veh towed in with stripped crankshafts, due to over torque.
I've done 2 timing belts like this with no issues, a quick blip of the air gun hasn't hurt it. 48ft lbs plus 60 degrees is probably 100+ ft lbs anyways.

You do not need to remove the spark plugs, and turning the engine isn't very difficult. It will feel like it's clicking into place meaning the ratchet will get easier to spin as you're going through the compression stroke. I have no idea how people here have changed timing belts with this kind of odd advice that makes the job more difficult than it needs to be.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts