Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!

I'm about to do my first timing belt job and I wanted to have your opinion/experiences.

I'm going to do the job in my parking lot.
I'll use:
Also I've read on previous posts that it is mandatory to have the TDC 1 aligned with arrow/line for the front camshaft.

So on top of all that, what would your two cents be?

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
501 Posts
People are probably going to tell you that the Gates kit isn’t good. There have been a few noted failures of Gates parts. You will probably be fine, but you may want to look into getting the Asin kit on Rockauto. I’ve never done my own timing belt and never plan to so I don’t have any tips as far as that goes. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Gates water pumps are known to fail. But there are likely thousands installed in vehicles. I only use Aisin so I am biased.
More tools needed:
Jack Stands
2 floor jacks
Good Light
Breaker bar
Vise grip clamp style
6 point sockets (short and deep? 3/8, 1/2 drive with multiple extensions) and wrenches 8,10,12,14,17, 19mm
Torque wrench
Torque specs for each bolt

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes right all of that is kind of essential too hahah

In that case, I will buy my peace of mind with the Aisin!

Can I ask what is the Vise Grip for?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Yes right all of that is kind of essential too hahah

Can I ask what is the Vise Grip for?
Clamp style Vise grip (no teeth) I use to squeeze flat the power steering hose so fluid doesn't pour out every where when disconnecting it.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Ahh! My first idea was to lay it on top of the uncovered engine.
Do you think it's doable?
Release the clamp nearest the pump that comes from the reservoir. Use the Vise grips to squeeze hose up near the pump to have minimal loss. Yes, at that point you can move the pump up on the engine. I have various sizes of silicone boots. I use one to cover the outlet on the pump, to prevent fluid from spilling out.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Gates water pumps are known to fail. But there are likely thousands installed in vehicles. I only use Aisin so I am biased.
Yes, if you can for peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
No need to open the p/s system, unbolt the pump, pull the reservoir out the the holder, and slide on top of the intake. Bugee cord works good to hold it there.
Not sure why then I separate the 2. Something got me doing it that way. Many YouTube videos disconect the reservoir from the PS pump. ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Only go with AISIN kit.

You don't need to disconnect the power steering line, just move the pump out of the way.

You'll probably need a mirror on a stick to verify your lines / make sure your cams haven't moved, and to see some of the timing cover bolts, some of them are really hard to see / locate.

If you don't have good lighting, I would invest in some LED lighting.

You'll want to get at least a 14" 3/8" long ratchet to reach down into the engine bay for some bolts. I like these, but tekton makes some decent long ones too: https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-81230F-Polish-Handle-Ratchet/dp/B000V5G7LU/ref=sr_1_69_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=tekton+3/8"+ratchet&qid=1593459515&sr=8-69-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFOWkdBUjAzVE8zOTEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2MjczNDEyU0RQOEdZNDNPOUxCJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwMTI5MDExQk5ZQ1VOSUg3MUFOJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

You will also want to get an inch-pound torque wrench to do the water pump correctly, and a ft lb torque wrench to do the larger bolts such as the pulleys. The waterpump is like 8ft lb, so you need an inch pound to make sure you're consistent on each bolt. I like my Tekton ones from amazon.

Make sure you have some smaller 1/4" drive sockets as well, it gets tight in there with the timing belt covers.

You may also want to get some pliers to pull the clips that hold on the inner fender wells, I really like these: GEARWRENCH 2 Pc. 30° & 80° Push Pin Plier Set - 41840D - Kd Tools Push Pin Pliers Set - Amazon.com

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would also replace the serpentine belt (I use a goodyear gator belt I think) and maybe even the serpentine tensioner while you're in there, if they haven't been replaced. I used a Contentinal non-oem version one and it's been great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Start early in the morning and give yourself plenty of time!! Plan on two days since your doing it in a parking lot. I’m sure you’ll spend a lot of time running back and forth getting this or that. I have done it twice but had access to a lift and numerous tools. Still took at least 5 hours each time. Good luck and make sure to let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Start early in the morning and give yourself plenty of time!! Plan on two days since your doing it in a parking lot. I’m sure you’ll spend a lot of time running back and forth getting this or that. I have done it twice but had access to a lift and numerous tools. Still took at least 5 hours each time. Good luck and make sure to let us know how it goes.
Yea this is a very time consuming job. Get a table that you can setup beside your car so you aren’t bending over 100 times. Pick a cool day it can be stressful.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
WOOW! Thanks to every single one of you for your input on all those different points! It helps A LOT, plus it gives me a little more confidence for when the D day arrive!

I will make sure to keep you updated after the job is done!

Thanks again, very grateful

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i just want to confirm with some of you that did their t-belt with the jumbo Lisle Socket; what was the nut breaking ft/lbs of the gun you used?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
i just want to confirm with some of you that did their t-belt with the jumbo Lisle Socket; what was the nut breaking ft/lbs of the gun you used?
Just thought I'd throw in a suggestion if you have a local roadside assistance friend that does 18 wheeler tires. They have 3/4 or even 1 inch impacts that can bust that bolt in one finger pull. If you just know somebody. ... IF

1 - 20 of 79 Posts