Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not really sure if this is normal, I always use my parking brake, so I'm not sure if my car will roll down a hill in park. Today I jacked up the front of my car to pull off the tires and inspect the brakes. I found that I was able to freely rotate my tires while the vehicle was in park. Does this mean my parking pawl is sheared off or is this normal?

I have an '03 4wd pilot.

I guess I'll be able test this out fairly soon, turns out I need to do a brake job among other things, so it's going to sit for a few days while I wait for parts.

Since it's an open dif, the tires do counter rotate, I guess my hope is that the pawl engages if the tires are going in the same direction, but I have a feeling the pawl broke off at some point likely when the previous owner had it.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX-L - - 226k 2007 Honda Accord SE - - 145k
126 Posts
When I had both fronts off the ground doing my brakes, both rotated as well. I'm assuming that it is normal. I guess if someone else says otherwise I'll know I'm wrong!

·
Registered
106 Posts
What Fleetw00d said. Perfectly normal if both wheels are off the ground because they are going through the differential. The parking pawl locks the output shaft of the transmission. You'll notice that the other wheel is turning in the opposite direction if both wheels are off the ground.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts