Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I was installing my cargo net, I noticed a big empty spot that looks like a speaker is suppose to be there. But the LX doesn’t have a subwoofer as a feature.

It started to make me think of what can be when (not if) I decide to do a speaker upgrade.
Any pointers? Heads ups? Am I dreaming?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
You mean on the right hand side of the trunk as you are facing forwards? Yup, thats where EX and above had their sub. Not that it did much.....

·
Registered
694 Posts
Any shallow mount sub of proper size will work. But you might want to reinforce that area. Just google 'honda pilot 2006 subwoofer enclosure'
Here is one nice set of pics

An yeah you will need to run speaker wire to this location from wherever you will be putting in your amp.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any shallow mount sub of proper size will work. But you might want to reinforce that area. Just google 'honda pilot 2006 subwoofer enclosure'
Here is one nice set of pics

An yeah you will need to run speaker wire to this location from wherever you will be putting in your amp.
Looks like an easy job to replace and put a better subwoofer.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
You couldn't put a worse one.
I, too, was underwhelmed by the bass response when I first listened to it. I mean, wasn't this supposed to be a semi-decent Alpine system?

It woefully underperformed compared to most of my previous sound systems, including my custom 8-speaker setup I installed in my "camping van" referenced in my signature, which if I opened the side doors parked next to the lake and cranked it up, became the lake party mobile music machine whose bass would stun the trout and make them float up to the surface. Good times.

Now, though, as my priorities in life have changed, I'm OK with the almost good enough dulcet tones of this dad bod system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wasn't ever particularly impressed with the stock subwoofer. Also, I wasn't very happy with the stock headunit lacking any sort of aux input other than using one of those cheap tape deck thingys with an aux cord sticking out of it, and those have very poor output quality. Having an EX-L with the Alpine door speakers, I decided about 3 years ago to get the most out of these rather good speakers and upgraded my headunit. During my research I found that the factory sub really doesn't like working with aftermarket headunits, so I opted for a kicker comp-rt truck sub mounted in the back to keep as much cargo space as possible but still have some 'bump' to my music. My amp is installed in the cargo compartment under the floorboards, and the sub is mounted to the trim with very heavy duty velcro. It has not moved since, it's rather sturdy. I don't know if you are going for bass that you can feel in your chest, but this thing does give me quite the back massage even from the drivers seat. Really the only issue I can see is that I lost my steering wheel radio controls, which annoyed me a ton at first but it's just a part of life now. Doesn't bother me as much. Overall, highly recommend an aftermarket sub. The factory Alpines do an excellent job, especially with the extra power going to them from the aftermarket headunit.
IMG_3766.jpg
IMG_3767.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts