Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 08 Pilot, with a little less than a 133k miles on it, got it about 5k miles ago where it spent it's entire life in the desert side of California (and is rust free because of it) that my wife uses as a Daily Driver. First and foremost, I live about a mile from the ocean, and the humidity here is always high, with a cold front appearing to have come in over-night, humidity here was darn close to 100%. My wife works 10pm to 6am, and this morning she got a message on the dash about "Check Gas Cap", for which she got out, loosened it, blew on it (for good luck), then put it back in then turned it until it clicked multiple times, and then drove home about 11 miles with the message still on the dash. Later this afternoon she went to Walmart a few miles away, no message on the dash this time, car driving fine. After spending about 1.5 hours at Walmart, she goes back to her car, and right when she starts it the Check Engine Light is on, calls me and I advise her to drive home and I'll pull the codes, so she drives it home (only a couple miles away), I plug my OBD2 Scanner into it, and am greeted with a slew of codes (Raw details below).

============1==============
P0300
Raw code: 0300
ECU: 09
OBDII: Random/multiple cylinder(s) - misfire detected
Honda: Random Misfire
============2==============
P0306
Raw code: 0306
OBDII: Cylinder 6 - misfire detected
Honda: No. 6 Cylinder Misfire
============3==============
P0305
Raw code: 0305
OBDII: Cylinder 5 - misfire detected
Honda: No. 5 Cylinder Misfire
============4==============
P0304
Raw code: 0304
OBDII: Cylinder 4 - misfire detected
Honda: No. 4 Cylinder Misfire
============5==============
P0303
Raw code: 0303
OBDII: Cylinder 3 - misfire detected
Honda: No. 3 Cylinder Misfire
============6==============
P0302
Raw code: 0302
OBDII: Cylinder 2 - misfire detected
Honda: No. 2 Cylinder Misfire
============7==============
P0301
Raw code: 0301
OBDII: Cylinder 1 - misfire detected
Honda: No. 1 Cylinder Misfire
============8==============
P0AB6
Raw code: 0AB6
OBDII: Engine mounting control B - circuit open

There were a total of 15 codes, but all the misfires codes were listed twice for some reason (so no point in listing them twice here). Anyways, I've cleared all the codes, and am wondering if they will come back after her shift again tonight. If they pop-up again, will check the freeze-frame data again.

Given the sequence of events, I'm thinking that the Gas Cap might be bad, and the misfires reported might have been due to excessive moisture/sweating in the gas tank given the temperature swings (and about half a tank of gas)? Does this at all sound plausible?

Are these vehicles picky about their gas caps at all? Or is the local auto-part store $12 cap work just fine? Reason I ask is I have some bolts I'm picking up tomorrow from Honda directly for the lower control arms, so would be an opportune time to add that part if necessary.

As for the rear motor mount code, I don't know what to think about that, was supposedly replaced about 10k miles ago, and strange it would pop-up with all these at once. Does that code not trigger a CEL on it's own?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
If codes come back, try this:
  1. More Information for MOTORAD MGC817T
  2. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sea-Foam-Motor-Treatment/16664932
  3. Post results in this thread.
I once had bad luck with an el cheapo locking gas cap on a previous vehicle, and simply switching back to the OEM cleared my CEL after driving awhile.

If someone comes along and says stick to Honda OEM gas cap for your Pilot, here it is: CAP, FUEL FILLER (TOYODA)

Of course you're OCD about clicking it 4 or 5 times, and anyone else driving it who claims they do, you should :)...

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
I’m very interested as I just picked up a Pilot with misfires on all cylinders.. haven’t even checked to see if the fuel door opens, let alone look at the cap.

More likely though (I think) is that message just shows up if there is an evap leak. So then the question becomes can an evap leak cause misfires with popping an evap code?

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
744 Posts
I’m very interested as I just picked up a Pilot with misfires on all cylinders.. haven’t even checked to see if the fuel door opens, let alone look at the cap.

More likely though (I think) is that message just shows up if there is an evap leak. So then the question becomes can an evap leak cause misfires with popping an evap code?
Timing off and valves needing adjustment will also cause misfires on all cylinders.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just confirmed with the wife, she hasn't gotten the warning about the gas cap, or any CEL's after mostly repeating the same driving cycles over the last few days. So all looks well presently, but will see about replacing the gas cap, still undecided on whether to go OEM or not. The one linked to Rock-Auto is about $9 shipped by itself. Or $11+tax from the local auto-parts stores for similar. OEM looks like it would cost around $35 :rolleyes:.

Anyone have issues with after-market Gas/Fuel caps on their Pilots?

·
Registered
10,236 Posts
So if the gas cap warning hasn't come back, maybe you can just sit tight with the one you have now, but be sure it gets clicked 4 or 5 times without fail.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you overfill the tank you can get gas trickling into the evap canister, which will give you the same codes. Don't ask me how I know :LOL:

·
Registered
10,236 Posts
If you overfill the tank you can get gas trickling into the evap canister, which will give you the same codes. Don't ask me how I know :LOL:
As a kid I used overfill, overfill, overfill, like the OPEC oil embargo was going to repeat itself between each fill up. Do not do this. When the pump clicks, overcome your OCD and walk away. Well, make sure you pay first. :)

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
As a kid I used overfill, overfill, overfill, like the OPEC oil embargo was going to repeat itself between each fill up. Do not do this. When the pump clicks, overcome your OCD and walk away. Well, make sure you pay first. :)
I guess that's a Canadian benefit, we don't have pump first, pay later anymore here. Instead we get people driving off with the gas hose still attached (that they then have to pay like $300-500 to be replaced - [which you find out by reading the warning sticker on them]).

·
Registered
10,236 Posts
Now who do you suppose gas stations borrowed the "You've got to pay first" business model from? :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts