Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never seen by most.
Stunning images.
Popcorn worthy.

Reactions: The Todd and aggrex

·
Registered
33 Posts
Stunning reveal at 1:37. Note the degradation of the filter element. I wonder how many miles are on this vehicle and why it is in for transmission service.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Nothing surprising about that IMO. Non-serviceable filter in something that has a lot of friction and wear materials in the fluid.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing surprising about that IMO. Non-serviceable filter in something that has a lot of friction and wear materials in the fluid.
Not surprising that Honda engineers hid it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
My 04 was previously owned by my uncle. He flushed tranny fluid every 10k and since I picked it up I've done the same. 260k and shifting smooth. The torque converter is acting up at low speeds but if I don't creep outta first gear its smooth.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 04 was previously owned by my uncle. He flushed tranny fluid every 10k and since I picked it up I've done the same. 260k and shifting smooth. The torque converter is acting up at low speeds but if I don't creep outta first gear its smooth.
What ATF do you use?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Honda only, I buy it by the case. Can't speak for what was used before me. Gonna do my diff this week and prob change that every 10k too.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honda only, I buy it by the case. Can't speak for what was used before me. Gonna do my diff this week and prob change that every 10k too.
If you switch to Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF, your low speed shudder will disappear. Z1 was a better fluid specd for your vehicle. Honda says DW-1 will work in your transmission, but it's not a better substitute.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Not surprising that Honda engineers hid it?
You act like they are the only one? I can tell you our Traverse and Sonata both don't have a serviceable filter for the transmission.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Is there a legit reason to not have a serviceable filter? or Are they just limiting the longevity on purpose?
I'm sure it can be spun many ways that most consumers would be accepting of...

1. Less maintenance cost.
  2. Lifetime parts must mean they are good forever and superior!

Could be why some vehicles have no trans dip stick and “Life-time” trans fluid.....
Yea those are more items that sound great for my list above...

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You act like they are the only one? I can tell you our Traverse and Sonata both don't have a serviceable filter for the transmission.
This doesn't make feel better about Honda ownership or any other vehicle that doesn't allow you to service a filter. Honda at least went back to an inline filter.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
This doesn't make feel better about Honda ownership or any other vehicle that doesn't allow you to service a filter. Honda at least went back to an inline filter.
As I've said many times... reliability of a brand new vehicle 5 years or 10 years from now is a crap shoot with how often major components are changed. I will get what I like the most at that time and do the maintenance at shortened intervals as always and hope it all works out.

Of course, cars like the Tundra, 4Runner, etc. have been around so long and have changed so little they are pretty well proven to be very reliable at this point.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I've said many times... reliability of a brand new vehicle 5 years or 10 years from now is a crap shoot with how often major components are changed. I will get what I like the most at that time and do the maintenance at shortened intervals as always and hope it all works out.

Of course, cars like the Tundra, 4Runner, etc. have been around so long and have changed so little they are pretty well proven to be very reliable at this point.
I'm more than happy with the performance of my 5-speed. The filter placement is my only complaint. The 6-speed was not an improvement.

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I'm more than happy with the performance of my 5-speed. The filter placement is my only complaint. The 6-speed was not an improvement.
Often I've read that more gears is not better... I much prefer the Pilot (and even the Sonata) 5 speed to the Traverse 6 speed. But my mom's GLC300 9 speed is pretty awesome, same with the 10 speed in my dad's Sierra 5.3. No clue on longevity yet for either of those.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Often I've read that more gears is not better... I much prefer the Pilot (and even the Sonata) 5 speed to the Traverse 6 speed. But my mom's GLC300 9 speed is pretty awesome, same with the 10 speed in my dad's Sierra 5.3. No clue on longevity yet for either of those.
I can not get used to the 40mph downshift on this 6-speed. It's just an awkward time for a downshift.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I can not get used to the 40mph downshift on this 6-speed. It's just an awkward time for a downshift.
Is this a downshift while decelerating or during light throttle or...?

The 9 and 10 speeds shift so often and don't even get into top gear until over 70 that I have learned to ignore all of the shifting. They are really smooth about it, instant throttle response (for modern cars) and don't misbehave at this point.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
Is there a legit reason to not have a serviceable filter? or Are they just limiting the longevity on purpose?
Willing to bet that it's part of the "planned obsolescence" that we keep hearing about, or just a design based on the perception of cars being disposable. In North America, in general, it's a widely accepted dogma, that any car with more than 150K miles is only good for a junkyard.
Coincidentally, this is where a LOT of modern cars develop incurable transmission and engine diseases, where it's cheaper to just ditch it than to repair. In Europe I've never seen a car that had less than 500K kms on it and was more than 15 years old, that had an engine or transmission swapped. Here, it seems to be very common, even in cars with sub-100K mileage.

So, these car designers just put in an unserviceable filter there, betting that by the time it becomes an issue, the car will already have been headed for a scrapyard. Same reason a lot of other components are so difficult to replace nowadays, no one at those car manufacturers considers such replacements to be common, so, they feel there's no need to provide easier maintainability.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Willing to bet that it's part of the "planned obsolescence" that we keep hearing about, or just a design based on the perception of cars being disposable. In North America, in general, it's a widely accepted dogma, that any car with more than 150K miles is only good for a junkyard.
Coincidentally, this is where a LOT of modern cars develop incurable transmission and engine diseases, where it's cheaper to just ditch it than to repair. In Europe I've never seen a car that had less than 500K kms on it and was more than 15 years old, that had an engine or transmission swapped. Here, it seems to be very common, even in cars with sub-100K mileage.

So, these car designers just put in an unserviceable filter there, betting that by the time it becomes an issue, the car will already have been headed for a scrapyard. Same reason a lot of other components are so difficult to replace nowadays, no one at those car manufacturers considers such replacements to be common, so, they feel there's no need to provide easier maintainability.
I'm sure some of this was driven by the car related culture 50 years ago... engine and transmission swaps were cheap and quick, nobody had any concept of rebuilding a 350 when you could grab one and throw it in for half the cost.

Also, I seriously doubt your comment about European cars being some bastion of reliability. Maybe some of the diesels have held up but there is enough engine crossover and issues with those engines I'm comfortable making that argument. And the brands that don't cross over are French, Italian, English or VAG subgroups... yea, those are all known to be highly reliable vehicles.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts