Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sad. My 2012 Honda Pilot, like new, with 55,000 miles on it got totaled today. My fault, though. My wife has a slightly sore arm and chest (was hit in the passenger side) and I have sore ribs from hitting the center console.

I don't care for the looks of the current Pilots and don't care for all the electronic 'safety' features (They would not have helped me here.). I guess I'll be shopping for a new car for my Christmas present. :(

We had just left the grocery store and milk from the broken milk cartons got on everything. A fireman was able to salvage about half of our groceries, the rest being ruined. Our eggs ended up about 10 yards down the street.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dang looks like a hard hit. Glad everyone was OK. I agree with you about the new pilots. They are ugly. Good luck with your search for a new vehicle!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: weiss27md

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
😭 Not crying over spilled milk.
Glad your ok and hope you heal fast. Will you get another Pilot?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
😭 Not crying over spilled milk.
Glad your ok and hope you heal fast. Will you get another Pilot?
I probably will. I'm very happy with our Honda dealer. It is handy to deal with one dealer for service on both cars. Even though I don't care for the looks of the new Honda Pilots, I feel that way about most new SUVs nowadays. I really like the boxy shape of my 2012 Pilot.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Glad you survived relatively intact yourselves. Most bruises and sprains will diminish over time. They never go away though (speaking from experience...). Get good medical help now and benefit for the rest of your lives.

Now... Can't cry over spilled milk, broken eggs, or the bent car that minimized your personal damage. Milk, eggs and cars are easily replaced. I'm not a huge fan of the new Pilot shape, but plenty of people like them. Still rated high or tops in class, so they deserve a good look and a test drive. I wouldn't hesitate to get a new one if our 2013 somehow left us. I'd look at others too of course.

Do share with us what decision you make on a replacement, your reasoning, and the satisfaction with your decision after you've driven the replacement for a while. Good luck in your quest!

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Unfortunate news about your accident but the Pilot did its job to protect and keep everyone safe and sound. Agree about the newer SUV styling and electronic nannies but there might be a slightly used low mileage Pilot out there.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
In real estate, they call that a "handyman's special."

·
Registered
166 Posts
Im glad you guys are ok. New Pilot is due out soon. So one option might be to get something temporarily until it comes out and see how it looks. But I agree the ones that are out now look like mini-vans. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Im glad you guys are ok. New Pilot is due out soon. So one option might be to get something temporarily until it comes out and see how it looks. But I agree the ones that are out now look like mini-vans. Good luck.
I doubt Honda will return to the box look.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I agree with what nail grease said, but it also probably won't be as reliable as the third gen. For 2021 most of the problems have been fixed that had plagued the past model years. The gen 4 will probably be nice but I highly doubt it's going to be as reliable as the 2021 model.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I agree with what nail grease said, but it also probably won't be as reliable as the third gen. For 2021 most of the problems have been fixed that had plagued the past model years. The gen 4 will probably be nice but I highly doubt it's going to be as reliable as the 2021 model.

If I had to have new, I'd buy a 2021 LX or SE. The fewer bells and whistles the better.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
I miss the square shape of the first and second gen Pilot. Third gen doesn’t work for me either.

We had a car totaled by a drunk car salesman just before Christmas four years ago. Made wife happy with a three year old Ex lease Volvo with 17k on it. Wife’s favorite color combo.
happy wife happy life

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
244 Posts
I probably will. I'm very happy with our Honda dealer. It is handy to deal with one dealer for service on both cars. Even though I don't care for the looks of the new Honda Pilots, I feel that way about most new SUVs nowadays. I really like the boxy shape of my 2012 Pilot.
I agree on liking the boxy shape! Kia copied it on the Telluride in my opinion. We still have my 2012 EX-L but bought a 2020 Highlander recently. I decided in the HL because of the Toyota D4-S V6 that has a timing chain, no cylinder cut off and it's both direct and port injected and doesn't have the lousy ZF 9 speed transmission.

Glad you are ok, cars are replaceable.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I am sad. My 2012 Honda Pilot, like new, with 55,000 miles on it got totaled today. My fault, though. My wife has a slightly sore arm and chest (was hit in the passenger side) and I have sore ribs from hitting the center console.

I don't care for the looks of the current Pilots and don't care for all the electronic 'safety' features (They would not have helped me here.). I guess I'll be shopping for a new car for my Christmas present. :(

We had just left the grocery store and milk from the broken milk cartons got on everything. A fireman was able to salvage about half of our groceries, the rest being ruined. Our eggs ended up about 10 yards down the street.
View attachment 142942 View attachment 142943
1st- glad you and the wife are OK. You'll be more body sore day 2 and 3.

Before I read your post, I of course looked at the pictures. Thinking that was soap suds, I was wondering why you washed a wrecked SUV.
Then I see, it was the Milk!

God bless, have a Happy Holidays. Vehicles are replaceable in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's ok if everyone comes out safe and sound. Check the passenger, the closest to the impact. Hidden injury is a beotch. Shock & guilt do overwhelm pains when thing happens.

Glad that everyone is ok.
Thank you. It's so close. I am lucky, we are lucky.

Soft, bold, bolder, soft, bold, bolder... the design cycle continues. You can place bet (wait for) new shape and hope it may switch back to bolder shape in 2022. Just observe Accord models (10 generations). When people are fixated on brand, they'll buy what ever the brand offers regardless of look. 2016-2021, 280 hp vs 250 hp (2nd gen), that's a hidden gem underneath.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,267 Posts
Vehicles and groceries can be replace, people on the other hand can not. Glad that no one was hurt.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
I would as a rule of thumb eschew the first year of a new model. It's bad enough the IT industry has turned us all into beta testers.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.