Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've had my 2006 LX for a month and couldn't help but notice the rough, jerky shift from first gear to second. This does not happen all of the time, but every so often. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Just bought my 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L with 126,100 miles on it from the original owner on Sunday. Car is in immaculate condition both cosmetically and mechanically (for the most part). I've been noticing that rough shift you're talking about from first to second gear. I've also noticed that it kind of jerks too when going from 3rd to 4th gear. My brother drove the car and seems to think that it might be damaged engine mounts that cause such a jerk when switching gears.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
Start with the easiest and least expensive:

1. 3x drain & fill with Valvoline Maxlife ATF, driving a few dozen miles between each.
  2. Replace 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear pressure switches.
  3. New transmission. ?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
^^^ AS plplplpl stated ..usually after option 1 was complete the hard shifting will go away ..if not ..Hope you have a big wallet .

Reactions: pilotalbert87

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
^^^ AS plplplpl stated ..usually after option 1 was complete the hard shifting will go away ..if not ..Hope you have a big wallet .
Mother of Jesus!! That's what I don't have...A FAT WALLET. I'll start with the first two. Question any idea where I might find info on how to replace the pressure switches?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Mother of Jesus!! That's what I don't have...A FAT WALLET. I'll start with the first two. Question any idea where I might find info on how to replace the pressure switches?
I would try the fluid swap first .. one of my ride is over 250k and still running oem parts on the trans .. never had to play with pressure switches ..yet

·
Registered
9,249 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Thanks guys! Thankfully the transmission works fine and I believe that by flushing it and following these recommendations it should go away. It hasn't begun to slip in any way so hopefully everything will be ok. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Thanks guys! Thankfully the transmission works fine and I believe that by flushing it and following these recommendations it show go away. It hasn't begun to slip in any way so hopefully everything will be ok. I'll keep you all posted.
Are you going to DIY?
Wal-Mart has 4 quart jugs of MaxLife ATF for under $18 X 3 = $54 + tax. That's easy on the wallet. There are many here that will give advise on how too. Not every YouTube video is the best way.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Are you going to DIY?
Wal-Mart has 4 quart jugs of MaxaLife ATF for under $18 X 3 = $54 + tax. That's easy on the wallet. There are many here that will give advise on how too. Not every YouTube video is the best way.
I will do it myself this weekend. Any good advice is welcomed and extremely appreciated guys. I'm new to all this and I really want to take care of this car so that it can last me a good while.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,402 Posts
And if you're concerned about your transmission don't replace or rebuild it unless it slips. I only say that because my transmission acts a little jerky sometimes (never violent) and has been doing that for a while. I just keep up with fluid changes and hope for the best.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
OK, allow me to start on the ATF advice.:)
  1. You have a choice of fill hole or dipstick port. They both have their pros and cons: ATF: Fill Hole or Dipstick Port? BTW, you can vote in the poll. :)
  2. If you go for the fill hole, loosen that first, not the drain plug, just in case you can't remove the former. Even with a good extension and a killer breaker bar, be prepared to break a sweat and/or bust a knuckle. ?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
I was wondering when the link to the fill port vs. dipstick tube poll was going to show up.?

Just wear mechanics gloves with padded knuckles if you use the fill port. You’ll understand why when you try to break that bolt free.

And 3x drain and fill means:
1) 1x drain and fill
2) drive around for a few miles
3) let things cool down
4) 1x drain and fill
5) drive around for a few miles
6) let things cool down
7) 1x drain and fill
8) drive around for a few miles
9) check tranny fluid level is correct

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
I was wondering when the link to the fill port vs. dipstick tube poll was going to show up.

Just wear mechanics gloves with padded knuckles if you use the fill port. You’ll understand why when you try to break that bolt free.

And 3x drain and fill means:
1) 1x drain and fill
2) drive around for a few miles
3) let things cool down
4) 1x drain and fill
5) drive around for a few miles
6) let things cool down
7) 1x drain and fill
8) drive around for a few miles
9) check tranny fluid level is correct
Doing this today guys. Bought 3 gallons of Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Somebody at the auto parts asked why I needed so much ATF for my Pilot and I explained what I was going to do. He then suggested I use Lucas Transmission anti-slip additive and use it when I feel for the 3rd time. Didn't buy it since you guys never mentioned it but anyways just thought I mentioned it to you guys. Wish me luck guys. I'll post some pics of when I start and when I finish.

Sent from my OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren Edition using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Good luck! And good call giving the Lucas transmission stuff a pass. Looking forward to those pics.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Good luck! And good call giving the Lucas transmission stuff a pass. Looking forward to those pics.
Answer me this though. What the heck with the bolt for the Transmission Fluid (upper one)? Am I supposed to first take the one at the bottom off and drain the transmission first to release the pressure from the one up top? Jesus!

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Yup, it's a bear to loosen. As I said, be prepared to break a sweat and/or bust a knuckle. ? And loosen it first, if you're going that route, because if you drain first then can't loosen the fill hole, then you have to fill through the dipstick port. At least that's an option, and a lot of folks just do it that way.

ATF: Fill Hole or Dipstick Port? :) :) :)

For the VTM-4 fluid, however, you don't have an alternative fill method, so there's another instance it's important to loosen the fill hole first.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Yup, it's a bear to loosen. As I said, be prepared to break a sweat and/or bust a knuckle. And loosen it first, if you're going that route, because if you drain first then can't loosen the fill hole, then you have to fill through the dipstick port. At least that's an option, and a lot of folks just do it that way.

ATF: Fill Hole or Dipstick Port? :) :) :)

For the VTM-4 fluid, however, you don't have an alternative fill method, so there's another instance it's important to loosen the fill hole first.
FINALLYYYYY, guys I'm done with the transmission flush and let me tell you WHAT A DIFFERENCE in the shifting. It's sooo smooth!! I have to say what a pain in the rear end with the fill hole bolt. It took me nearly an hour to get that sucker loosened up. Pictures coming up.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
Glad you were able to loosen that fill bolt. Hopefully no bruised knuckles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts