Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: Do you know of anyone who has ever transformed a 2009 Honda 4x4 into a "real" jeep trail worthy vehicle? If so how did they increase to torque on the transmission and power up the engine.

There are some good aftermarket products for sale for 2009 HP 4x4: e.g. wheels, tires, air intake snorkels, roof racks, bull-guards, slide-plates etc. Please advise...I want to take my Pilot to the "next level".

Harold

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,931 Posts
I haven’t seen many folks on this forum modify their Pilot for off-roading. The most common mod seems to be getting oversized tires but that won’t suit your needs without some type of suspension lift.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I want to find a way to transplant a V8 engine and stronger transmission into my 2009 HP 4x4. Have you ever seen this....?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,931 Posts
I have not. There isn’t much space in the engine compartment to add anything, and I imagine a V8 would be at least 33% larger than what is currently in there.

One thing you might want to get a complete understanding about is if the Pilot’s VTM-4 rear differential will suit your needs. It’s not a true locking rear differential that many of the off-road vehicles have. Perhaps that is one of the reasons the 4Runner is a popular choice for those that require SUV functionality 99% of the time.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Question: Do you know of anyone who has ever transformed a 2009 Honda 4x4 into a "real" jeep trail worthy vehicle? If so how did they increase to torque on the transmission and power up the engine.

There are some good aftermarket products for sale for 2009 HP 4x4: e.g. wheels, tires, air intake snorkels, roof racks, bull-guards, slide-plates etc. Please advise...I want to take my Pilot to the "next level".

Harold
You do realize you basically want to turn a large unibody car into an off-roader. Would cost half the price to buy a framed truck already set up for off-roading.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$15, 000 dollars is my operating budget. A New Toyota Landcruiser costs between 70-80 K. I can Drop a New Jasper Motor and Transmission with all the parts around the motor included for less than $5500.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Would you be willing to take a brand new $70-80K Land Cruiser off road?
Boost your budget to $25K and get a 10-year-old Land Cruiser.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Do you need 3 rows? If not, I'd look at an older Jeep Grand Cherokee (before the current gen where they went unibody). They can be bought at good prices, can be had with factory V8 power, very capable and very cheap and easy to mod.

There's always older 4Runners but they hold their value so much. Maybe Xterra?

·
Registered
238 Posts
$15, 000 dollars is my operating budget. A New Toyota Landcruiser costs between 70-80 K. I can Drop a New Jasper Motor and Transmission with all the parts around the motor included for less than $5500.You are wasting your money. A lot more mods needed to make a pilot offroadable. It is just a large car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
$15, 000 dollars is my operating budget. A New Toyota Landcruiser costs between 70-80 K. I can Drop a New Jasper Motor and Transmission with all the parts around the motor included for less than $5500.
You are wasting your money. A lot more mods needed to make a pilot offroadable. It is just a large car.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You do realize you basically want to turn a large unibody car into an off-roader. Would cost half the price to buy a framed truck already set up for off-roading.
The XJ Jeep Cherokee is a unibody 4x4s and they're pretty darn capable!

But the Pilot is no XJ. Not even close. It wasn't designed for serious offroading. The VTM4 system is great for everyday driving, snow covered roads, etc. but it is not capable of any serious crawling. There's way too much crap hanging underneath the Pilot that would get destroyed on any serious offroad trail.

Check out a GX470. Toyota reliability, V8 power, and you can find them cheap now. They're sold as the Land Cruiser Prado in Australia and New Zealand. Very capable offroad rig.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts