·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
119 Posts
Interesting but not unexpected

Yes - The article is interesting but these type of oil test articles have been done at least 30 years.

In every one that I have read the oil always outlasts the manufacturer's recommended oil change frequency, and normally by a LOT.

I remember when auto manufactures recommended that oil be changed every thousand miles and we faithfully followed their recommendations. Then engines got better, manufacturing processes improved and oils got better. Now the manufacturers recommend that we change our oil every 7,500 miles yet it seems like 90% of the people in the US insist that their driving patterns were never taken into consideration by Honda so they change their oil every 2,000 or 3,000 miles. Jiffy Lube must love these people.

My contention is that the manufacturers are correct and that most Honda drivers should be changing their oil every 7,500 miles. Honda pays their engineers millions of dollars every year to run these type tests and I'm personally not at all surprised that the test in this example shows that Honda is protecting us by recommended we change our oil at twice the frequency that is really required.

This is my sixth Honda over the past 27 years (27 consecutive years of driving at least one Honda). I have always faithfully followed the recommended oil change mileage from Honda and have never had a problem with the engine. Personally I think I'm saving a lot of money or at the very least I'm not feeding the monster Jiffy Lube oil change propaganda machine that continuously runs 'frightening' TV ads.

JJ

·
Registered
602 Posts
So, if we assume an average of 15,000 miles driven per year, the difference between Honda's severe oil change schedule (3,750 miles) and the 7,500 mile normal schedule is two oil changes per year. At $20 per oil change, that comes out to $40 per year additional to make sure that the most important fluid in your vehicle is clean and lubricating effectively. Cheap insurance in my book.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I agree that Honda's 7500 mile recommendation is probably often enough for most drivers. But I find it strange that, although Honda recommends that interval, my dealer tends to try to push the 3000 mile interval on me. I was just there two days ago for my 22,500 mile service, and sure enough, the sticker they put on my windshield says I'm due for another oil change at 24,500 (I was 1,000 miles early for this service).

Since the dealer is the one who stands to make money from shorter oil change intervals, I guess it's not a surprise that they will go as far as to essentially refute Honda's recommendation.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
My oil change interval

Sometime between now and when my head explodes from reading that article. :bonk: I might be in the market for my next car before they're done with all the testing.

·
Registered
360 Posts
What About the Pilot's FIRST Oil Change?

At what mile interval have you guys had your Pilot's first oil change performed, 3,000 or 7,500?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: What About the Pilot's FIRST Oil Change?

gymeni said:
At what mile interval have you guys had your Pilot's first oil change performed, 3,000 or 7,500?
3750 for me EVERY oil change.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Re: Re: What About the Pilot's FIRST Oil Change?

jay said:
3750 for me EVERY oil change.
Same here, about 3,750 with oem filter (from hondacuraworld). Been using Pennzoil 5-20.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Remember folks.. this test concerns synthetic oil.. not dino oil. Methinks there are significant reasons to use synthetics (and I do). Just don't extrapolate the test data to include dino oil.

Imo, the thread should be retitled: A Must Read on Synthetic Oil Change Intervals.

**edited for spelling**

·
Registered
60 Posts
2004 Owner's Manual info

Here's an interesting bit of editorial oversight from the 2004 Pilot owner's manual (Sorry, not able to scan the pages at this time... may post the scan tonight...) ;)
For US/non-severe oil changes, manual says to change the oil every 3750 miles and filter every 7500 miles; (Per the owners manual...) those in Canada or using the severe schedule never change their oil,:awais: but should change the filter every 3750 miles..... :1pat:

Sure hope no one really follows this erroneous maintenance schedule!!!! :13:

I thought changing oil without changing the filter was a practice dropped in the early 50's!!! :8:

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:) I'm in between, 5000 to 6000 miles

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Bill Balmer said:

~snip~
Since the dealer is the one who stands to make money from shorter oil change intervals, I guess it's not a surprise that they will go as far as to essentially refute Honda's recommendation.
They don't call them "stealers" for nothing!!

:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
No Surprises

It's no surprise that synthetics outlast petroleum oils. What will be great to see is how the AMSOIL will kick some Mobil1 butt... I use the XL-7500 in our Pilot and drain it at 7500 miles, but my Tundra has over 24,000 miles on the same AMSOIL 5W-30 with good oil analysis results for continued use.

~ Fred

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: 2004 Owner's Manual info

ARwebpilot said:
Here's an interesting bit of editorial oversight from the 2004 Pilot owner's manual (Sorry, not able to scan the pages at this time... may post the scan tonight...) ;)
For US/non-severe oil changes, manual says to change the oil every 3750 miles and filter every 7500 miles; (Per the owners manual...) those in Canada or using the severe schedule never change their oil,:awais: but should change the filter every 3750 miles..... :1pat:

Sure hope no one really follows this erroneous maintenance schedule!!!! :13:

I thought changing oil without changing the filter was a practice dropped in the early 50's!!! :8:
Yep, change the filter with every oil change when a significant amount of the contamination was from particulates.

Unsealed engines picked up a lot of dust, rings and bearing used to be shot at under 100,000 miles dumping metal in to the oil, gas burned rich and produced a lot of carbon, and blow-by was terrible.

Todays engines are running a lot cleaner INSIDE than those of days gone by.

·
Registered
33 Posts
For the cheap cost of oil + a filter, around $14, I have no problems justifying the cost of changing it every 3500 miles or so. At $28 more a year, it's nice peace of mind. New oil is better than older, dirty, broken-down oil, IMO.

·
Registered
737 Posts
FYI, someone who posted earlier in this thread stated that motor oil is the most important fluid in your vehicle.

I say its the brake fluid, yet few people ever think to change it.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
ctobio said:
FYI, someone who posted earlier in this thread stated that motor oil is the most important fluid in your vehicle.

I say its the brake fluid, yet few people ever think to change it.
In the '03-05 Pilots, it's every three years regardless of mileage for changing the brake fluid. I wonder how the '06 Maintenance Minder treats it?:confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I seem to remember Consumer Reports either doing a study or reporting on one a couple years ago involving oil change intervals for NY City taxicabs. Their conclusion was that changing oil more frequently than recommended (7500mi) had no effect on engine wear. I stick to the recommended interval. Fred

·
Registered
737 Posts
jay said:
In the '03-05 Pilots, it's every three years regardless of mileage for changing the brake fluid. I wonder how the '06 Maintenance Minder treats it?:confused:
It's not in my maintenance minder list. The maintenance minder doesn't track calendar time, but operating hours/total revolutions. Since the brake fluid change interval is independent of this, the owner should be doing this every 3 years, hopefully with a reminder from their dealership.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts