Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. I’m looking for some help in diagnosing an issue with my 2007 pilot. It is making a whining noise that starts as soon as you fire it up and gets worse with acceleration. I sounded like the power sterling pump, so I replaced that, but noise continues. Im not sure where to go next. I’d like to replace what needs to be replaced myself, I can’t afford to take it to a mechanic at this time. I’m thinking the tensioner pulley or the a/c compressor, but I have no idea. Any help appreciated! thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello folks. I’m looking for some help in diagnosing an issue with my 2007 pilot. It is making a whining noise that starts as soon as you fire it up and gets worse with acceleration. I sounded like the power sterling pump, so I replaced that, but noise continues. Im not sure where to go next. I’d like to replace what needs to be replaced myself, I can’t afford to take it to a mechanic at this time. I’m thinking the tensioner pulley or the a/c compressor, but I have no idea. Any help appreciated! thanks in advance!
Had a similar problem on my 2007 and it turned out to be the alternator.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Serpentine belt and tensioners are suspects too. Take off the belt and see if the whine goes away. Wiggle the tensioners - if any of them are loose or hard to turn, then replace them.

Reactions: Jendicott8

·
Registered
5,534 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the whine just follow acceleration or does it also follow RPMs. To test this, leave the vehicle in Park and as the man says, "Rev up you engines!" If that's the case, do not ignore the whine and test and/or replace the alternator sooner rather than later.

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/alternator-issue.27367/page-2#post-1193321

It sounds just like this. The noise does follow the RPMs we well, louder with higher and lower with lower rpms. The sound is always there though.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Ok, so don't do like I did in my cautionary tale and ignore it until you're left stranded with a poltergeist vehicle. Time for a new alternator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts