Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my 2008 Pilot, it seems to run a little rough for the first few minutes after starting it up. The only way I can tell is it just vibrates a little. Once I drive a mile or 2 it goes away and runs like a dream. Is this something to be worried about or do most cars just run a little rougher when they're cold. Thanks.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,189 Posts
Also check your EGR valve and/or EGR ports on the upper intake manifold. Clean them if needed.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's just your car, it shouldn't run rough at all. I would check PCV valve / PCV related items, spark plugs.
When I say rough, I just feel it in the steering wheel. It doesn’t sound different or do anything different than when it’s warmed up.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
Well keep in mind that when you start a cold vehicle, modern vehicle, the computer system is running in an open loop until the engine warms up. It's not providing as much input to the engine and not taking as many engine parameter readings until the engine comes up to operating temp.

It could be something as simple as a minuscule vacuum leak at the TPS that goes away once the engine warms up. Then it could just be the fact that the vehicle is getting older with more miles on it and things have through normal wear and tear loosened up just a hair.

If you scanned it and are not getting any error codes then I wouldn't worry too much about it unless things change for the worse.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Jack, how many miles on your Pilot? Are the valve clearances due for adjustment? Like road2cycle mentioned, dirty EGR ports and an old, clogged PCV valve are suspect.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jack, how many miles on your Pilot? Are the valve clearances due for adjustment? Like road2cycle mentioned, dirty EGR ports and an old, clogged PCV valve are suspect.
194,000. Valves haven't been adjusted. No codes at all. I'll check PCV valve and EGR ports first. When the timing belt was done they checked the clearance and said it was good. Beyond those two things to check I'll probably leave it alone since its been that way since I bought the car. I am way too sensitive to little noises or things like that. Most people who drive my car would never be able to tell anything was up.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
I highly doubt they would check the valve clearance and not charge you for it. Adjusting the valves is not an easy job to just check and has absolutely nothing to do with the timing belt adjustment in terms of what has to be taken apart. That seems suspect to me.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I highly doubt they would check the valve clearance and not charge you for it. Adjusting the valves is not an easy job to just check and has absolutely nothing to do with the timing belt adjustment in terms of what has to be taken apart. That seems suspect to me.
Who says they didn't charge me?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts