Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or maybe a couple....

I read all the threads on this forum, but didn't seem to find an answer to these questions - any help would be great:

1. Is it related to the key?
2. Does it get worse / more frequent?
3. When it occurs, do the cars start on the second try after removing the key and starting from scratch?

Thanks.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
The consensus seems to be:

1. No
2. No
3. Yes

...but then no one seems to know for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
well from my experience its
yes
no
yes

since i started doing...insert key. ..put on seat belts...start..have not had the problem (more than 2 months now) :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ramirami -

I HOPE this will work for me. The wife does not take well to issues like this, but if a little startup routine like that avoids a hard start problem AND keeps the WAF high - then I am GOLDEN.

I will try this and report back.

not knowing much about the problem, only having it once (50 miles logged), and not doing any experimenting......my gut is telling me that it is related to the key. I am keeping my fingers crossed for this......not to mention all those little lights on the dash with keys in them.........too much coincidence there......

This is a realitively new Honda feature, is it not? My guess is that there are still some bugs to be worked out with this system. The good news is that a fix could be as simple as a quick and painless firmware upgrade for the ECU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
Oh my!


I have a star.


Yeah me.
:cool: ..get to 70 posts and you will have 2 stars:2: :2: :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
From my own Canadian experience

The answers are :

1. NO
2. NO
3. NO.......

In the way that it is very consistance, comes and goes at the time chosen by itself.
When the liberation begins, it ONLY starts at 3rd or 4th cranks.

Right now the weather is a lot warmer, it seems gone for fishing, have not happen for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
or maybe a couple....

I read all the threads on this forum, but didn't seem to find an answer to these questions - any help would be great:

1. Is it related to the key?
2. Does it get worse / more frequent?
3. When it occurs, do the cars start on the second try after removing the key and starting from scratch?


Thanks.......
1. How do we know? (this is a smart a-s remark to those who answered either yes or no) :2:

2. My experiance has been a constant very low occurance issue.

3. Yes, worse case was long cranking on third try. (about 10 to 15 seconds, happened once)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
Re: Re: A general hard start question

N_Jay said:

1. How do we know? (this is a smart a-s remark to those who answered either yes or no) :2:

like i said from my experience...its my experience and my explaination and I am sticking to it ;) ...never said I had scientific proof about it:bonk:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
Re: Re: A general hard start question

N_Jay said:

1. How do we know? (this is a smart a-s remark to those who answered either yes or no) :2:

2. My experiance has been a constant very low occurance issue.

3. Yes, worse case was long cranking on third try. (about 10 to 15 seconds, happened once)
My experience with the starting issue mirrors N_Jay's, as stated above.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
or maybe a couple....

I read all the threads on this forum, but didn't seem to find an answer to these questions - any help would be great:

1. Is it related to the key?
2. Does it get worse / more frequent?
3. When it occurs, do the cars start on the second try after removing the key and starting from scratch?

Thanks.......
1) Not even Johnny Carson knows the answer to this one. :confused:

2) It happend once for me in 3 months and 7K+ miles. :)

3) I just turned the key off and back on - it started on the second try after about 5-10 seconds.

Not much help - but this is one that nobody has had much luck at. We are not even sure it is a "PROBLEM"!! :eek:

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
Re: Re: A general hard start question

colorider said:


1) Not even Johnny Carson knows the answer to this one. :confused:

2) It happend once for me in 3 months and 7K+ miles. :)

3) I just turned the key off and back on - it started on the second try after about 5-10 seconds.

Not much help - but this is one that nobody has had much luck at. We are not even sure it is a "PROBLEM"!! :eek:

Good luck!
Perhaps a better word for it is a "QUIRK." I don't recall anyone ever saying that their Pilot refused to start, period. The times it has occurred, it held me up for about 20 seconds at most.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
One thing I can say for sure is that My Pilot has been starting without a problem for over a month now, and yes the weather is warmer..

I am taking her in on Saturday to get the engine grinding sound checked out, service tec seems to think it my be the timing belt, will let ya all know latter on what they find.

(Honda, do not do this to us anymore it is driving us crazy!)
rob
:eek:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Re: A general hard start question

Ziploc said:


Perhaps a better word for it is a "QUIRK." I don't recall anyone ever saying that their Pilot refused to start, period. The times it has occurred, it held me up for about 20 seconds at most.
I agree - mine was about the same and it only happened once.

I think most all cars will experience some sort of weird starting problem at one time or another. My wife's Sebring has done it once that I recall - slow start and then ran rough for a few minutes. My Park Avenue did it once or twice while I owned it. I used to own a Camry that did it once. So far, none of my motorcycles have though!! :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
My 2 cents...

In the 5+ months I've had my Pilot, I've had the hard starting problem about 5 times, and there's no apparent common factor.

The 2nd time it happened, it took 3 tries and over 30 seconds, and then the engine ran rough for about 20 seconds. I guessed that the engine had flooded and was burning off the extra gas.

The 3rd time it happened, I held the gas pedal halfway down on the 2nd try, and the engine started within 2 seconds. (Holding the pedal half-way down used to be the way to start a flooded engine when engines had carburetors.)

The next couple of times, I did the same thing and it started within 2 seconds on the second try.

I don't think flooding is the cause of our problems, I think it's caused by the engine not starting in the first place. Then again, if the fuel injectors are putting too much fuel into the cylinders, it's possible to immediately flood the engine!

MarkB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
This is definetly a key problem, I tried multiple times without removing the key - just off and on and start. It cranked and cranked. Then I pulled out the key and put it back and it started right up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
lemonadeking said:
This is definetly a key problem, I tried multiple times without removing the key - just off and on and start. It cranked and cranked. Then I pulled out the key and put it back and it started right up.
There you have it!! Scientific evidence!!! :cool:

Somebody call Honda and let them know!!! :awais:

(This REALLY is all in fun, you know)
:2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
colorider said:



(This REALLY is all in fun, you know)
:2:
so is this :twak:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top