Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Pilot started acting up recently - initially it was leaving the radiator fan on after running for a significant amount of time, which I know can be a common thing but not necessarily something to worry about. I replaced the thermostat anyway because one of the other people on this site had fixed that issue by doing the same. It didn't fix it for me, but no big deal, it was only running for four minutes once I shut the car off, so it wasn't likely to drain the battery. A couple or weeks later I had two simultaneous issues with unrelated (I think) systems, the AC and the radiator. AC would come on when I turned the car on then would turn off after a few minutes, then it would turn back on once I got on the freeway; but soon even the freeway wouldn't turn it back on, after the first couple minutes of running (that happened in the middle of Nebraska as we were moving from UT to TN (it was a rough trip). During this trip, the engine temp, which had been settling higher and higher despite no apparent coolant leak began to reach very uncomfortable levels. I checked and added coolant to no effect. I've stopped driving it because it just runs hot now and I need AC here in the South. For the AC I've checked the freon and compressor and both seem to be fine (per pressure and function for the couple of minutes it is working, as well as watching the compressor catch and spin with the hood up). I've also switched around relays in the fuse box to no effect. For the overheating I've just added coolant. Someone mentioned a possible water pump failure and I'm wondering about maybe a clogged radiator. I'm also wondering if the AC and radiator systems could be connected to some part of a faulty electrical system, partly due to the issues occurring simultaneously.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
2006 with 120k miles. It's a chain, no timing belt
How much extra did the dealer charge you for that custom feature? o_O

As mentioned by beato1, maybe water pump, and/or radiator?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the chain-driven engine in your 2006 Pilot?
When I replaced the pump for the very first time in my Pilot's history at 140k miles, it looked and felt like new. There was no corrosion on the vanes and no play in the shaft. I would look into the circulation of the coolant before replacing the pump. OTOH your timing belt might be up anyway so replacing the pump would be a by-product of doing that.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,939 Posts
Are you certain all the air has been purged/burped out of the cooling system? Perhaps a trapped air pocket is causing the issue.

·
Registered
815 Posts
2006 with 120k miles. It's a chain, no timing belt
I have to ask, when you check the coolant level, do you check both the overflow tank and the radiator itself? Of course, you can only check the radiator when the engine is cool. Forgive me for asking the obvious, but I just wanted to make sure that you are checking the actual radiator level, not just the overflow tank.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Are you certain all the air has been purged/burped out of the cooling system? Perhaps a trapped air pocket is causing the issue.
This could be the cause of your overheating! Hmm, but otoh, the overheating would have happened right away after the coolant change. So, check the water pump anyway! Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah..... Sorry about the timing belt/chain thing. It's a belt, as everyone else seems to already know. I bought it about 20k miles ago and the guy said he had just changed it, so I should have remembered that. I did check the radiator and the reservoir and made sure both were appropriately full. Today was a cool day and I decided to try it out again with a very careful, watchful eye on the thermostat and neither issue (radiator or AC) occurred today. Perhaps it is an air pocket - how does one purge those? Or perhaps it only happens on days when it has to work extra hard. Or perhaps today was just a lucky day. I'll keep an eye on it though and run through some diagnostics with the pump when it acts up again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah..... Sorry about the timing belt/chain thing. It's a belt, as everyone else seems to already know. I bought it about 20k miles ago and the guy said he had just changed it, so I should have remembered that. I did check the radiator and the reservoir and made sure both were appropriately full. Today was a cool day and I decided to try it out again with a very careful, watchful eye on the thermostat and neither issue (radiator or AC) occurred today. Perhaps it is an air pocket. How does one purge those? Or perhaps it only happens on days when it has to work extra hard. Or perhaps today was just a lucky day. I'll keep an eye on it though and run through some diagnostics with the pump when it acts up again.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Perhaps it is an air pocket - how does one purge those?
Here's one way to do it, with or without the special funnel, although without it may be a bit messier.

Only ever start this procedure when your engine is cold. Don't forget to turn your heater on high so bubbles in the whole system can be purged.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,939 Posts

This is how I burped the air from my Pilot’s cooling system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is is possible that it burped itself? It hasn't given me any problems in the last week and a half or so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts