Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker here. I thought I’d turn to my fellow Honda Piloteers for an opinion on what my next steps are.

Backstory: Last Saturday my 2018 Pilot Touring AWD (note it’s a Canadian car, so it’s the Touring Elite in the US)gave me a transmission system error. No power to the electronic gear shift so can’t get it into neutral. Had to wait until Monday for a tow truck with the correct equipment for the AWD.

Had the car towed to a Honda dealer in Pennsylvania. They say it’s the TCM and replaced it. Now they can’t get it programmed. I rented a car and drove back to Ontario as I was out of my meds. I had my daughters with me as I was picking them up to bring them home to Canada.

So now my car is in PA. The dealer there and the dealership here in Ontario are trying to get this problem solved. They are getting nonwhere and I’m without a car. And I feel like I’m getting the runaround.

My question:
How do I get this escalated with Honda so someone makes something happen? I have a case number but no one seems too bothered by this. How do I make noise and make them pay attention? Tomorrow it will be a week since the car quit on me.

So, what would you do? I think they should just ship it to Canada, but how does that happen on their dime?

It has 72,xxxx kms about 38,xxx miles so some components are still under warranty.

Any advice on getting Honda to pay attention?? This issue needs to be solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
A few years back, I was on my way back from Florida and the transmission in my Dodge Dakota failed and left us stranded in West Virginia. Luckily we were able to limp to a motel parking lot and got checked in. I rented a car the next morning and drove to the local Dodge dealership and explained the situation. They said they would tow it in, which they did and they had a look at it right away. It was a torque converter failure that contaminated the fluid and destroyed the transmission. Bottom line was that they fully covered the repairs under the powertrain warranty but not my out of pocket expense as I had to leave the truck there for the repairs and drive the rental back home to Sarnia. Honda should at least be able to do the same for you as it sounds like you are still covered under the powertrain warranty. Your warranty should still cover you in the US and it shouldn't matter where the repairs are done.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would be finding a way to get the car back to Canada. I bet the repair will be a lot easier to deal with if you're not fighting a warranty battle in a different country.

If you have a good relationship with the service manager at your home (Canada) dealer, it might be worth it to ask them to step in and help out between Honda corporate and the PA dealer to get this done.

By the way, why can't the PA dealer "get it programmed"? Do they not have access to the software for some reason?

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
Being a 2016 I doubt it has any warranty left.

Total transmission failure is very rare. I wouldn’t try to repatriate a broken vehicle. Would cost massive $$$$$.if they cannot program it, they need to talk to Honda.

I feel your pain. A brother is based on England just traveled cross three countries in Europe, and the car that had to be shut down and restarted every few miles. Gave up in Switzerland where a dealer fixed it for big bucks or Swiss francs.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
354 Posts
Being a 2016 I doubt it has any warranty left.

Total transmission failure is very rare. I wouldn’t try to repatriate a broken vehicle. Would cost massive $$$$$.if they cannot program it, they need to talk to Honda.

I feel your pain. A brother is based on England just traveled cross three countries in Europe, and the car that had to be shut down and restarted every few miles. Gave up in Switzerland where a dealer fixed it for big bucks or Swiss francs.
The OP said 2018. Time for some glasses. lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think the Honda dealer is really trying to help. I wish they would just get the car back to Canada.

I’m at a standstill now until Tuesday due to the holiday.

The case is supposed to be escalated to higher up customer service, but we will see what happens.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be finding a way to get the car back to Canada. I bet the repair will be a lot easier to deal with if you're not fighting a warranty battle in a different country.

If you have a good relationship with the service manager at your home (Canada) dealer, it might be worth it to ask them to step in and help out between Honda corporate and the PA dealer to get this done.

By the way, why can't the PA dealer "get it programmed"? Do they not have access to the software for some reason?
The dealer here is guessing different programming between the two countries. But this is what they can’t seem to figure out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few years back, I was on my way back from Florida and the transmission in my Dodge Dakota failed and left us stranded in West Virginia. Luckily we were able to limp to a motel parking lot and got checked in. I rented a car the next morning and drove to the local Dodge dealership and explained the situation. They said they would tow it in, which they did and they had a look at it right away. It was a torque converter failure that contaminated the fluid and destroyed the transmission. Bottom line was that they fully covered the repairs under the powertrain warranty but not my out of pocket expense as I had to leave the truck there for the repairs and drive the rental back home to Sarnia. Honda should at least be able to do the same for you as it sounds like you are still covered under the powertrain warranty. Your warranty should still cover you in the US and it shouldn't matter where the repairs are done.
I sent you a PM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts