Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 Pilot is in the shop second time for blowing warm air on A/C
First time they re-charged with the "new" freon and it ran cold for about a month.
Took it in yesterday the shop tells me since its the "new" freon they can't detect leak
by adding dye and checking for leak with UV Light.
They say all they can do is keep looking...any thoughts?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
It must have a leak somewhere by the sounds of it. Usually you get some refrigerant oil leaking out with the freon and it will show up. If it took a month to leak out, it must be a very small leak. Check the condenser in front of the rad for stone chips and also the area around the compressor clutch for signs of leakage as those are the obvious spots. Even the fill connections can leak as well. I thought the techs had some electronic refrigerant detectors and did not have to use dye.

·
Registered
259 Posts
First time they re-charged with the "new" freon and it ran cold for about a month.
Took it in yesterday the shop tells me since its the "new" freon they can't detect leak
They just have to buy the dye that works with the new refrigerant.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you in an area with relatively cold climate? If so the culprit is the plastic condenser plug. The aluminum rad will shrink and a different rate allowing just enough space for the Freon to leak.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
77 Posts
Ditto on looking for an oil stain around fittings, compressor seal, etc. If you're losing refrigerant that quickly in a month, it carries quite a bit of oil with it. X2 also on examining the condenser area like Hondamon said. Stone and rock damage is common, unfortunately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts