Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 EX-L is currently having a problem where even when the temperature setting is on LO, the air blows basically warm with just a slight bit of coolness in it. There is also a weird noise coming from glove compartment area. The link at the bottom is a video of the noise. I can hear/feel the A/C clutch engaging which indicates to me that everything is good on that front (although I am sure it could be charged at some point). The air will blow very warm when I turn the temperature up. So I am hoping it is the air mix motor as that seems to be a common-ish problem on these cars. Nothing appears to be leaking either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eV48JB63QQX1VFwM6

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
Assuming your cabin air filter has been changed fairly recently, the next thing I would check is the air mix motor, as you suspect.

Also mildly curious what happens if you manually turn recirc off, not that I think that has something to do with it, but hey.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming your cabin air filter has been changed fairly recently, the next thing I would check is the air mix motor, as you suspect.

Also mildly curious what happens if you manually turn recirc off, not that I think that has something to do with it, but hey.
so the interesting thing is, I changed the air filter in May. At that time I wasn’t able to fully vacuum the debris out of the area but I just put the new filter in.
On Saturday I removed the air filter and I vacuumed the few leaves and other crap that was in there because I though it was the culprit. So now I’ll start with the air mix motor and hope that that’s the culprit.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,024 Posts
What happens when you change between hot and cold? Do you hear anything abnormal
such as grinding or the flap getting caught on something?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I guess my next question is how to do get to the air mix motor? I have the service manual but it doesn't really show where it is! Thank you.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Youtube!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,024 Posts
You might check hondaautomotiveparts.com
They have diagrams of where parts are located . . . once you can find the correct category for the part in question.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I got a new air mix motor (or whatever it's called). Replaced it and it has not solved the problem. I am wondering if the blower motor is making the noise? Anyone got any other possible solutions? I'm thinking I need to recharge my A/C too. The A/C clutch seems to be engaging and stays running so I am glad about that.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
There is also a weird noise coming from glove compartment area.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eV48JB63QQX1VFwM6
so the interesting thing is, I changed the air filter in May. At that time I wasn’t able to fully vacuum the debris out of the area but I just put the new filter in.
On Saturday I removed the air filter and I vacuumed the few leaves and other crap that was in there because I though it was the culprit.

So I got a new air mix motor (or whatever it's called). Replaced it and it has not solved the problem. I am wondering if the blower motor is making the noise? Anyone got any other possible solutions? I'm thinking I need to recharge my A/C too. The A/C clutch seems to be engaging and stays running so I am glad about that.
So yes, check if there is any crap left that might have gotten into the blower.

Are your new air mix motor and shaft connected properly, lubed and moving freely?

Also do go ahead and recharge the A/C if it needs it.

And with all due respect, make sure you don't have a screw loose. :)
Tighten it. Seriously, often this is an easy fix:

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/14-problems/22415-no-heat-front-console-5.html#post967754

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/69-2003-2008-pilot/27471-2004-pilot-front-heater-problem.html

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So yes, check if there is any crap left that might have gotten into the blower.

Are your new air mix motor and shaft connected properly, lubed and moving freely?

Also do go ahead and recharge the A/C if it needs it.

And with all due respect, make sure you don't have a screw loose. :)
Tighten it. Seriously, often this is an easy fix:

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/14-problems/22415-no-heat-front-console-5.html#post967754

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/69-2003-2008-pilot/27471-2004-pilot-front-heater-problem.html

View attachment 133216

View attachment 133217
Thanks! I’ll look at the blower, recharge the system (Should I use one of those $50 cans at auto zone or have my mechanic do it) and check for loose screws. I’m sure I’ll be back with an update

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
A lot of folks seem to be perfectly fine with those cans, but I just had my guy do it with his big dedicated machine while I was there for other stuff last spring. Hadn't been done since the car was born, so it was due for a little.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My A/C was blowing only warm air so I brought it in for what I thought would be an $80 recharge. It turns out that I had a hole in the condenser located between the two front seats that blow for the back seats. It turns out that the front and rear condensers are connected and all my refrigerant leaked out. It was $800 to pull out the center console, replace the leaky center condenser and recharge the whole system. Now it works great.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well I don't think anything is leaking (at least that's what I'm hoping).
Side note: does anyone know how to initiate the self diagnostic mode? I followed the steps in the service manual but it doesn't do anything.

The clutch engages and the fan comes on so I think I'm good on refrigerant.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New development, the clutch no longer seems to engage when I press the A/C button neither does the fan. I read that a bad blower motor can cause the A/C system to not come on. I guess I'll see this weekend if that fixes it. Otherwise I'll just pay to have someone else figure it out.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
What pressures are you reading on the low and high ports?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts