Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need to replace my 2006 Pilot power inverter (with a used OEM one). Question is: where is this located? Is there a thread with instructions on how to do this?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Again, I'd recommend scouring the Service Manual as your best hope of finding that exact location and specs, but if memory serves it's toward under the center console.
Yea, I checked that but the pictures and description do not say anything about location. The picture is also very vague, doesn't mention any location.

However, I was looking around in the front passenger area and found it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some of the pics I took. It's a 5-10 minute job. Just need to slide the front passenger seat all the way to the back, then remove the plastic frame cover in the front so you have ample room for your hand to reach the bolt with your wrench.
All the bolts are 10mm. Loosen the 2 bolts that hold the black inverter mounting bracket to the chair frame. Visible here on the left and right.

After that you can you can unplug the inverter.

There is a small plug notch you need to push/squeeze, and then you can slide the plug easily.

Inverter is unplugged:

What the plug looks like: The small white piece on top is the part you need to push/squeeze.

In my case, I could only find Honda Odyssey similar model year for replacement. They are exactly the same parts and you could just swap them out by removing the aluminum top casing (which is also a heatsink) from the rest of the body/frame. You can do this by the 4 screws on the sides (shown on the original Pilot/the right inverter). You can see the heatsink/cover from the Odyssey already dismantled on the left side, and the 2 screw holes on 1 side of the cover facing up.

However, in my case, because I want to preserve the part # that was on that sticker in my Pilot, I also removed the top-cover/heatsink from the inverter module to swap the internal inverter module. But first, for ease of unscrewing 4 screws that holds the cover/heatsink to the mounting bracket and frame, you need to remove 2 bolts on each side of the bracket so you can pivot the inverter housing to unscrew the 2 "front" screws (when it's installed under the seat, these screws are facing front). See the right one from Pilot that's now pivoted from the frame/bracket and you can now easily unscrew the 4 screws (shown at the top and bottom of the unit):

Now, to remove the cover and the inverter from the bracket/frame, you need to unscrew the four "front" and "rear" screws (these are the position when they are installed in the car), shown above as the 2 screws at the top and bottom. That's IT! You can now just swap the 2 inverter by installing the whole cover/heatsink and inverter module onto the original mounting bracket from your car.
Again, because mine has a different part # (Odyssey, vs Pilot), I wanted to also swap the aluminum cover, which is an additional 2-3 minutes work, but this is optional, see below.

OPTIONAL: if you want to separate the inverter module from the cover/heatsink so to preserve the model #/sticker, there are 3 screws you need to remove. See the right inverter from Pilot above, on the left side there are 3 screws. You should only do this AFTER you get the cover/heatsink and the inverter removed from the bracket else the module might get stuck in the bracket.
After that you can slide the inverter module from the heatsink/cover. As a comparison, here's the shell/heatsink separated from the module (the part I bought) on the right, vs the complete inverter on the left from my Pilot:

The inverter module basically slides in and the you screw the 3 screws on the side to the metal bracket holding the row of transistors in the module, show below at the bottom of the picture:

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
Nice write-up and good pics. (y)

Any particular reason you wanted to preserve the original part # that was on that sticker on the top-cover/heatsink?

Can't be for the resale value, I’m guessing. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice write-up and good pics. (y)

Any particular reason you wanted to preserve the original part # that was on that sticker on the top-cover/heatsink?

Can't be for the resale value, I’m guessing. :D

Thanks! I was just bored, that's all 🙃 Well, that and I want to be able to refer to the right part # when/if it breaks again.
Anyway I'm keeping the other shell/bracket, so I have that as reference too. :D
Thought it might help others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts