Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Pilot's manual says that the A/C should be run once a week in the colder months for 10 minutes while driving the car to keep the system "lubricated."

I've never heard of this before and am wondering if it's something indigenous to Hondas. I have a CR-V as well, but haven't seen that in the manual (possible I missed it).

Just thinking with a northeast cold spell in the teens I don't want to be running the A/C. . .

Anyone hear of this? What happens if you don't do it?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Actually, it's no big deal. You can run the AC even with your heat on. It just takes the humidity out of the air. So, the lubrication thing makes sense.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
That is a general suggestion for all cars

I have seen that recommendation for just about every car I have ever seen.
Since the AC comes on with the defog, it usually is not an issue.
It is a longevity thing.
Do it, and there is a good chance you will never have an AC problem.
Don't do it and take your chances.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: That is a general suggestion for all cars

N_Jay said:
I have seen that recommendation for just about every car I have ever seen.
Since the AC comes on with the defog, it usually is not an issue.
It is a longevity thing.
Do it, and there is a good chance you will never have an AC problem.
Don't do it and take your chances.
Same here. I make an extra effort to do this ever since an '85 Volvo 740 and '89 Toyota Tercel both developed expensive A/C problems, well out of warranty, of course.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Most cars use the AC automatically when you defrost your windshield anyway, you just don't know it. As mentioned before, use the AC with heat to dehumidify.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I always use the A/C to defog my windshield during the winter time. Kind of a neat trick..... set to defog with A/C set temp to medium.a

1 - 6 of 6 Posts