Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain the darn thing. The manual doesn't do a very good job of explaining how the rear unit actually works. When A/C is on does it allow the rear passenger to adjust fan and temp? Blow from top or bottom? Blow heat when A/C is going in front? Sinc vs. non-sync?

Please advise.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Read through the thread at this link. I've marked the link to the middle of the thread, but you might want to check out the part too.

There are other threads discussing the vent use, full auto vs manual, etc. Do a search for "rear climate control". Post back if you still have questions, it's not the most intuitive system, but it makes sense once you figure it out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link. I did not realize that the rear system works with the RR A/C button in the unlit position. I'll have to try it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
When the rear control is unlit (off), the temperature in the rear is controlled by the front unit.

When the rear control is lit (on), the rear temperature can be adjusted ±3° different from the front setting.

(oops, that's wrong, should ±21°C...thanks to the posts below for correcting me)

It's a nice feature on long trips.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
tim.s said:
When the rear control is unlit (off), the temperature in the rear is controlled by the front unit.

When the rear control is lit (on), the rear temperature can be adjusted ±3° different from the front setting.

It's a nice feature on long trips.
tim.s...I did not know that the change is only ±3° . So is each dot on the panel ±1° ........:confused:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
ramirami said:

tim.s...I did not know that the change is only ±3° . So is each dot on the panel ±1° ........:confused:
I don't think they are exact Deg, just up/down 3 settings.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
N_Jay said:

I don't think they are exact Deg, just up/down 3 settings.
but only up down by 3 degrees?????????????????????
:confused:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
ramirami said:

but only up down by 3 degrees?????????????????????
:confused:
I think each notch is a noticable amount, so I would guess it is a degree or two.
It may not be temperature based, as I do not know where the rear temp sensor is.

More like 1, 2, or 3 notches up or down from the normal system response.

·
Registered
62 Posts
OK everyone - here is the skinny!

"When the rear A/C passenger control dial is enabled, the passenger in the second row can use the rear A/C passenger control dial to adjust the temperature up to 21°F (10°C) higher or lower than than the front. This is limited by the minimum and maximum system temperatures."
[2003 Honda Pilot Owner's Manual, p.136]

That's what it says -- I'm just giving you the "quoted" facts! Judge for yourself!

Man, where is kemosabe when you need him?? Kemo, please post your visual when you can buddy!

Happy Piloting!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
CoasterCrazy26 -- The Visual Assistant heard your call for help and he is here, my friend.... hot off the presses, page 136 from the manual:

(Visual Assistant had to feed The Lone Ranger's horse, Silver, earlier...)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
:bonk: That's what I get for posting from work without the manual handy...don't even know where I got 3 from now. I could try to backpedal and call it a typo, but oh well.

I clarified the above post, thanks you guys.

·
Registered
414 Posts
What kind of control do you have if you want to manually control the heater,AC and just plain vent fans? On some nice days I don't want the A/C to kick in, I'd just like to do normal "Vent". I'd like to be able to kick up the fan a bit but it seems when I hit the most obvious control to do that it kicks into Auto climate control.

I still have the CRV mentality of not wanting the A/C on when climbing big hills since it used to overheat until I had the radiator unclogged, and even after wards the A/C robbed power on hills. I don't like the feeling that the A/C might kick in at any time, like if I'm climbing a long hill and passing someone and don't want my power cut. Plus running with A/C has to get less gas efficient, right, even if it only kicks on occasionally?

And there are other reasons for this, like sometimes after running I'd to use cooler outside air rather than set my climate control way down and use A/C, which actually will get too chilly when blowing on me. Windows down is not always an option if I'm on a freeway, unsafe area, rain, etc.

I like the climate control system ok, I just don't always want to use it. Didn't mean to spend so much time justifying why, but I'm trying to head off the "oh, just set the temp and don't worry about it" answer.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Originally posted by BCinTX On some nice days I don't want the A/C to kick in.
Just hit the A/C button until the readout says "A/C Off". That'll take care of the sucker.

As far as the fan goes, just bump up (or down) the fan button. The readout will still say "AUTO", but that just applies to whatever features you have not overridden, even if that's just the temperature.

·
Registered
414 Posts
OK, I see. I got thrown off because hitting the fan threw it into Auto mode with the A/C on if needed, but now I understand that I can shut the A/C off in Auto mode (not Full Auto). I think I was thrown off since the thermostat number still showed up. Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts