Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - I pickup my EX-L on Monday, and we are heading on a 200 miles roud trip to grandma's house for Christmas.

I know I'll be itching to take the Pilot, but I don't want to be stupid with respect to the break-in period.

Am I being stupid and impatient when thinking about taking the Pilot?

Or should I take it, just be careful to vary my speed along the way.

Thanks - I just want to drive her a little :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Take it. Thats what your buying it for. 200 miles seems like no big deal. Vary speeds a little bit. Easy on the acceleration and (equally important) the brakes- don't slam them brakes (unless a team of reindeer pulling a fat guy pulls out in front of you).

ps. are you a commercial fisherman, or just sport/recreation?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would definitely take the Pilot .... don't put the pedal to the metal .... don't climb all over the binders (brakes), unless it's an emergency situation .... drive it like you would any vehicle, except vary the speed .... like just bump the cruise control up for a few miles,then down to a lower than previously set speed..... I've done this on my last few Hondas and had great results ..... Another thing I do, is to ask my wife to read certain areas of the owners manual to me ... like the servicing schedule, radio controls, and whatever new features I did not have on my other vehicle. We plan on taking ours down to Florida, using the scenario I mentioned, if mine ever comes in. Just my opinion....:p

·
Registered
518 Posts
Break in period.

Driving your new Pilot seems to make sense with the acceleration and braking precautions previously given. When I picked up our Pilot a couple of weeks ago I was advised not to use the cruise control for the first 1500 miles. Anyone else told that?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Never been told not to use the cruise control for x # of miles, however it sounds like another way to say "vary the speed"..... probably to avoid sitting flat footed for several hundred miles at 75 mph/fixed rpm ........

·
Registered
725 Posts
Break In Info

I believe the owners manual says to go easy on the brakes for the first 200-miles, then my service director told me - and I beleive I read this in the owner's manual as well - not to pound on the gas (no fast starts and stops) for 600 miles. Vary your speed on highways a little - vary between 65 and 80 (love the 80 part) and you'll be fine.

After 600 miles - your PILOT is ready and very willing to take on the world!!!!!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was told not to use the cruise control also....

·
Registered
991 Posts
yep, also says do not tow anything for the first 500 miles (800km), but did not mention not to use cruise control. I am sure that if they thought this to be an issue it would be in the manual.

rob

·
Registered
96 Posts
fisherman, your Honda isn't made of glass, or at least, not the engine. Everyone's given you sound advice. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
900 Posts
DRIVE IT!!! And enjoy it!
Take Grandma for a ride when you get there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Happy Piloting fisherman

I too will roadtrip during the holidays, 720 miles round trip. Thanks for asking the question and getting us some very useful advice. I just got the Pilot on 12/21. I'm using all the tips here and I'm driving it as much as I can before I leave 12/26. Does anyone know if you can drive at a constant speed after 500-600 miles? Also, what is the max speed you would drive during/after break-in period? So far I've only been up to 65mph, but have varied the speed constantly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
shepilot said:
Does anyone know if you can drive at a constant speed after 500-600 miles?
:1pat: What a stupid question I asked, please disregard. But still wondering if there is a preferred max speed during break-in.

·
Registered
991 Posts
There is never a stupid question, but all the manual says is: No hard breaking, and no hard accelerating.. just drive normal until breaking period is complete.. Then give her!!

rob

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
91 Posts
bakerlar said:
"Drive it like you stole it" is my philosophy!:2: :2: :2:

bakerlar
Bakerlar... you stole your Pilot... :eek: :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts