Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9AT - transmission cooler kit installation

I’m on step 10- install transmission bracket. I just can’t figure out where to install the transmission bracket. Anyone installed it before. Can you point me to that location? A few pictures of the location would be greatly appreciated

Step 10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,373 Posts

I’m on step 10- install transmission bracket. I just can’t figure out where to install the transmission bracket. Anyone installed it before. Can you point me to that location? A few pictures of the location would be greatly appreciated

Step 10

See if its similar to the 6 speed.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I think the only thing similar, 6 Spd vs 9spd, is the plate/fin cooler unit out in front of the condenser.

Reactions: zmarke01

·
Registered
48 Posts

Step 10

Hope your install went well. Where did you purchase the 9AT cooler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
College Hills Honda has it for $300.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
185 Posts
How much volume of ATF fluid did you have to add? What scan tool did you used to verify the ATF fluid temp to check the level after the install?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
View attachment 139755 That brkt bolts to the bottom front of the transmission.
Hmm, from the front/bottom of the transmission,I don’t see any hole that I could bolt the bracket to. From the picture that I highlighted, that would be the location. I went to a Honda dealer and asked technician, he couldn’t figure out either.
For now secure two pipes together with the two brackets

It’s the most demanding and difficult installation I’ve ever done. Everything looks good. No leaks no scars. Transmission seems to shift smoother than before

1) you have to remove the ATF warmer. It’s very difficult to gain access to remove 3 bolts. Then you have to install the ATF warmer back. Before you think you can install the transmission cooler, look at the ATF warmer and ask yourself if you can remove and install it back. Now that’s 1/2 of the job.
2) i drained & filled the trans fluid. I’m glad I did. The fluid looked dirty at 60K miles. You fill about 3.5qt and wam up the ATF and check if the fluid comes out the side of the transmission after you have removed the bolt there. I replaced all 3 ATF bolts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much volume of ATF fluid did you have to add? What scan tool did you used to verify the ATF fluid temp to check the level after the install?
I didn’t check the atf temp. I added little bit over 3.5qt and let the vehicle running for a while. I checked for the fluid coming out from the other location . I live in Texas. It shouldn’t be long until the fluid reaches 104-115F

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I read the 9AT cooler install instructions a short while back and thought that would be quite a project. I did a aftermarket cooler install on our FWD ‘17 G2 Ridgeline 6AT 2 months ago and thought that was somewhat challenging. The 6AT cooler install is a “walk in the park” compared to the 9AT cooler install you did. Glad I did the cooler install as doing so lowered peak TFT +/-35F.

Is it true that Honda 3.1 ATF is about $30/qt?😱

·
Registered
743 Posts
I do 3 or 4 of these a week, if you infact have a 16+ pilot with a 9 speed, I assure you it there. Take a pic from underneath your trans and post it here.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I do 3 or 4 of these a week, if you infact have a 16+ pilot with a 9 speed, I assure you it there. Take a pic from underneath your trans and post it here.
I presume you are a Honda Technician.......would you possibly know what TFT triggers the tranny overheat message for the 6AT? Thanks.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I presume you are a Honda Technician.......would you possibly know what TFT triggers the tranny overheat message for the 6AT? Thanks.
230 degrees F is the warning trigger on the 6AT.

Reactions: PLT383

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Thank you, great to know.👍

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes mine is 2016 touring with a 9sp. Since you do 3/4 vehicles per week, can you please take some pictures while you are at it. Im willing to buy you a bear or a cup of coffee for those pictures. I have spent over 12 hours under my Pilot for 2 consecutive days. Wanted to stay away from it for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 58 Posts