Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. I'm in kind of a jam with this deal. So I bought what looks to be a really clean, well kept 2007, I think EX-L ( leather, AWD, DVD, 6 disc ) with 97K miles on it. I test drove it and it seemed to work well. Handed the guy $5,500 for it and drove it away. I'm on the freeway doing a comfortable 75 MPH, and all of a sudden I smell something like burnt rubber ( my friend who was following said there was smoke ) and the check engine light and VTM-4 lights start flashing, and the engine starts stumbling. I pulled it over. No leaks of any fluid that I can see, no steam, no more smoe, no oil pressure light, and no high temp on the gauge, but there that persistent burnt smell.. I have an OBD 2 scanner in my truck. I plugged it in and got P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, and P0305. That's random misfire, and misfires on cylinders 1-5. I also had an red EVA flashing, which I think is Evap sensor. The car passed emissions test according to the certificate provided on the 13th of this month.

Tee crappy thing is that I bought this car for my folks, who are elderly on a fixed income, because there 1998 Volvo V70 turbo wagon finally bit the big one and was just too far gone to justify fixing. My wife has a 2007 CR-V that is over 200K and had give us almost zero problems. I really thought I made a good choice with this rig.

I usually do most of my own repairs if it's not too deep. Any pointers on where to look first? I don't even know how the AWD system works in these if maybe it was in AWD at freeway speed and I just didn't know it and that started the issue? It starts and runs but it's really rough, as you can imagine.

Any help would be appreciated. Money is kind of tight right now which is why I didn't go out and finance something.

This might seem like a crazy question but has anyone ever heard of the digital odometers in these things being able to be turned back? Is it possible it's been tampered with and the miles are a lot higher?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I just answered my own question. I screwed up bad. I just ran the carfax and the last reported odometer reading was over 154K in 2017. I feel like such an idiot right now.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Don't be so hard on yourself. The only real bad guy is the ?ing scumwad who sold it to you. Where are you located and what are your legal recourses there?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in CA. I won't know what I can do if anything until I go to the DMV. I think the scumbag I bought it from is in the wind. I just did everything wrong with this deal. Sure, he's a scumbag, but I made it easy for him. Live and learn, I guess. Always get the carfax before handing over money. Very expensive mistake. I'm sure I'm out the money, and I'll end up with a vehicle with a branded title. I just hope whatever is wrong with it can be fixed at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Yes, first go to the DMV. Next step if you're stuck with it is to take it to a trusted Honda-savvy mechanic and see what can be done with it. And come back here to let us know what develops and if this forum can be of help. A lot of helpful and knowledgeable folks here, so although I wish it were under happier circumstances, welcome to Piloteers.

But do follow through on trying to get this guy ID'ed and tracked down by the authorities. Chances are he's done this type of thing before and will do it agin if not stopped. Ripping people off is bad enough, but when the elderly are victims, Dante needs to invent a new circle of hell.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. People like that should have a piano fall on them, lol. Glad this didn't happen to me, I'm very "spiteful"! Not to rub salt in the wound, bit why did you pay so much? Maybe it's just me but that seems high for 07. I bought an 04 in June for $1800. There's another 03-08 near me for $1495. I didn't stop to look so not sure of actual year. Looks real good though. Did you buy this in a parking lot? I'm guessing you don't know where the guy lives cuz you say he's in the wind. Definitely go after this guy. He's a POS!

·
Registered
6,217 Posts

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,043 Posts
Welcome to Piloteers . . . I wish it was under better circumstances. As others have mentioned take the Pilot to a shop that you trust (preferably one that specializes in Honda’s/Acura’s) and take it from there. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
945 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. People like that should have a piano fall on them, lol. Glad this didn't happen to me, I'm very "spiteful"! Not to rub salt in the wound, bit why did you pay so much? Maybe it's just me but that seems high for 07. I bought an 04 in June for $1800. There's another 03-08 near me for $1495. I didn't stop to look so not sure of actual year. Looks real good though. Did you buy this in a parking lot? I'm guessing you don't know where the guy lives cuz you say he's in the wind. Definitely go after this guy. He's a POS!
Honestly that seems a little low for an '07 with only 97k (I guess it has more). In my area Pilots are very highly valued. It's pretty hard to get a good deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, yeah...

I went to the DMV's investigative office this morning, which is staffed with Sheriffs. I was basically told that they get a lot of these cases and that most likely the title and the vehicle probably changed hands a few times before it got to me and so they have no way of knowing who actually turned the odometer back. In the years she'd been there they had only prosecuted one odometer fraud case because they witnessed the act take place.
So if they can catch the guy that sold it to me, the worst they can probably charge him with was being an unlicensed dealer. I gave them the URL for the original craigslist ad, hoping maybe and IP address trace could help locate him, if they even go that far. I also gave them the cel phone number the guy used. They said what I already assumed though that the phone was probably a burner.
If the last legal owner wasn't directly involved in the fraud, by not doing her part to ensure the correct release of liability, I feel like she's at least partially to blame for my situation. By not retaining the release of liability and sending it to the DMV and properly filling out the odometer reading on the title, she gave the next person the ammunition they needed for the con job. So maybe that's worth pursuing? I'm not in a place where I can easily absorb the loss and what it's going to cost to repair the truck. Bottom line, they told me they only do criminal charges and have no part in restitution, so I would have to pursue a civil claim if I want any chance at getting some kind of restitution. Not what I wanted to hear.
So, now I'm waiting for someone from the investigative office to come so VIN and odometer verification, and to hear back from recommended trusted Honda mechanics in the area so I can figure out where to have it towed for diagnosis.
I'm just really hoping the motor/transaxle/transmission aren't grenaded.

·
Administrator
15,583 Posts
It's probably pretty rust free being in CA. Those are all misfire codes.its an AWD (hope you checked for a rear diff) which is better than a FWD of that time.
Hope you have a trusted shop to go to. I might start by seeing of the timing belt was ever changed, ditto the spark plugs...
157k isn't much for Pilots. Mine is 253k last I saw it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's probably pretty rust free being in CA. Those are all misfire codes.its an AWD (hope you checked for a rear diff) which is better than a FWD of that time.
Hope you have a trusted shop to go to. I might start by seeing of the timing belt was ever changed, ditto the spark plugs...
157k isn't much for Pilots. Mine is 253k last I saw it.
Yeah there isn't any rust. It's very clean in that regard. There is definitely a rear diff. I was under it yesterday. I had it on jack stands looking to see if I could see anything obvious and other than a tear in on of the steering rack boots, I could not see any issues. I'm guessing that the mileage is probably in the 180 range. I don't have any service records. I haven't dug too deep into the CARFAX I ran. I don't know if it would have listed a timing belt change or not. Would it run with a broken belt? I would think a timing belt break would stop it cold, and hopefully not bend valves...

It just occurred to me. I don't know if it's had any of the recall fixes that would have come up over the years. Is there a way to search that by VIN online or do I need to have a Honda dealer check? There was no owners manuals in the car, of course. So another thing I don't have if the battery is disconnected is a code to unlock the radio. My wife's 07 CR-V has a radio lockout that trips when the battery is disconnected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealer can check for recalls and lookup the radio code for you. The random misfire/misfire codes are probably the valves needing to be adjusted. If you have no record of a new timing belt you should probably spring for that as well. The J35 becomes a boat anchor if the timing belt breaks.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
I don't if it's the case for yours, but sometimes the radio code is printed inside the glovebox. Check.

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
76 Posts
If the radio code is not inside the glovebox, it is on the side of ghe radio. Pulling the dash fascia off is not hard and the radio comes out with just a few screws.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have an 07 Pilot with 167k miles on it. Still a good car. It would not run with a broken belt and if you can't prove the belt has been replaced then you are on borrowed time.Make a list of things to fix and start fixing them. Most important would be whatever is making it not work and the timing belt. If you lose the belt you are going to be in for much more. You can probably also expect to lose an alternator, starter, ac compressor of more over the next few years. I would also suggest new shocks and struts if it hasn't been done. Makes a big difference on ride performance. I would fix it yourself as much as you can and move on with life.

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
76 Posts
My biggest concern for you is what is the service record of the vehicle. Has it had its timing belt done. Should have been done around 110K.

The misfires suggest fouled plugs. Honda's of this vintage are notorious for fouled plugs due to the very low ring tension used to hit fuel efficiency targets. If it is really abt 180K, thats 80k past when new plugs were due. Could be an easy fix.

The burning rubber is most likely a slipping belt. Also an easy fix.

The VTM4 light came on because the engine went into limp mode due to the cylinder misfires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2010 Honda Pilot. I had an issue where I wasn't getting much power. I am not sure what codes you are getting but there was a multiple cylinder misfire issue that I had (similar to https://www.piloteers.org/threads/multiple-cylinder-misfire-codes.27484/). The dealership reprogrammed it for me for free. Might be something to check into as well. Doesn't sound like your entire issue but always want to bring this to your attention. Find a good mechanic, not a dealer that specializes in Honda and check them out on yelp and others.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts